Looking for high performance city / hybrid bike

KSUJace

Jun 19, 2004
Any suggestions on a high performance , light weight, city hybrid style bike ..

I really like the Devinci Liverpool but can not find the bikes in any shops in Chicago, I think it is only sold in Canada.

Price range would be around $650-$900

I've got a Gary Fisher Utopia that I really like. It weighs in at around 25 lbs, and is priced around $700. Great bike for blasting around on the Prairie Path!

I also have a GF Utopia, and while it is a fine bike that I still enjoy riding I ended up swaping out the cheap and unnecessary suspension fork for a rigid fork which saved 3 pounds (!).

If I were to by a new higher-end hybrid again I would look for a model with a rigid fork, something like the Jamis Coda series (steel frames!) or the Kona dew bikes which are lighter than any of the suspension hybrids.

Curious as to what you went with for a replacement. I knew that thing was heavy, and have been thinking about replacing it for a while - just never got around to it.

Originally posted by sfcommuter
I also have a GF Utopia, and while it is a fine bike that I still enjoy riding I ended up swaping out the cheap and unnecessary suspension fork for a rigid fork which saved 3 pounds (!).

If I were to by a new higher-end hybrid again I would look for a model with a rigid fork, something like the Jamis Coda series (steel frames!) or the Kona dew bikes which are lighter than any of the suspension hybrids.

The Jamis Coda bikes look really sweet, would you reccomend something like the 2004 Coda Comp?

Any ever look at the Devinci Liverpool?

The Fuji Sagres, while actually a real road bike with some mtb features, may fit the bill. Affordable, great city/commuter, good stuff if you don't have a problem with aluminum.

My approach would be to get a higher-quality used mountain bike and put skinnier, slicker tires on. I used by Bridgestone MB1 as a commuter for years w/ 1.25" 100 psi slicks. Just over 20 lbs -- light, stiff, agile, fun, and smiles in the face of a serious beating.

A quality frame and quality components will last for YEARS...and for 650-900 bucks you can get an excellent set up.

Originally posted by jbloomfi
Curious as to what you went with for a replacement. I knew that thing was heavy, and have been thinking about replacing it for a while - just never got around to it.

I replaced it with a Kona P2 fork (2lbs vs. 5lbs for the rock shox fork). The Utopia became sort of a "project" bike for me and I replaced a lot of other stuff on it too. :) For more details, you can see the customized Utopia on my website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rivromulus/utopia.html

Originally posted by KSUJace
The Jamis Coda bikes look really sweet, would you reccomend something like the 2004 Coda Comp?

Any ever look at the Devinci Liverpool?

The only thing I don't like about the Coda is the gearing, but it's rare to find steel frames for nicer hybrids. They use 52/42/30 rings on the front and a 11-32 cassette in back. 52x11 is completely useless on a hybrid/city bike.

I don't know about Devinci bikes. Another one to look at is Bianchi Bergamo. There is a lot to choose from and many of them are very similar, so I would try to go with a local bike dealer that you trust.

What is the difference in between the Coda and the Elite?? besides disc brakes?

Originally posted by KSUJace
What is the difference in between the Coda and the Elite?? besides disc brakes?

If you compare the Comp and Elite specs side-by-side you'll see a few upgrades in frame, handlebars, etc. but note that the Elite has clipless pedals. IMO, disc brakes and clipliess pedals aren't necessary on a city bike, although you can find plenty of debates and info comparing disc/rim brakes, and clipless debates if you search around. Lots of different opinions on those topics, but what <i>you></i> want is what matters the most.