looking for high-traction, East coast cyclocross tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Duke Robillard, May 12, 2003.

  1. So, I need new tires for my cyclocross bike. I don't race, I just ride on mountain bike trails. I
    live in the Eastern US, so there's roots, rocks, logs, and mud. I'm not very concerned about weight;
    I'm happy to carry a few extra ounces if it gives me more traction and fewer flats. 'Sides, the
    extra weight that gives me trouble isn't on my bike.

    The bike came with Ritchey SpeedMaxes, but they were a little slippery for my level of skill. After
    I dragged myself out of the creek :) I put Geax Blades on it, and they were better. But I'm always
    ready to try something new

    So, whatdya all think? Right now, I'm leaning toward the Hutchinsen Pro or the Nokian Ravagozzi

    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cyclocrossworld/hutprosertsg.html
    http://www.cambriabike.com/tires/nokian_ravagozzi_front_rear_tire.htm

    What I'd really like is a Velociraptor in 700x35, but I can't seem to find that. :)

    Duke

    Tags:

  2. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Duke Robillard at duke@io.com wrote on 5/12/03 6:56 AM:

    > So, I need new tires for my cyclocross bike. I don't race, I just ride on mountain bike trails. I
    > live in the Eastern US, so there's roots, rocks, logs, and mud. I'm not very concerned about
    > weight; I'm happy to carry a few extra ounces if it gives me more traction and fewer flats.
    > 'Sides, the extra weight that gives me trouble isn't on my bike.
    >
    > The bike came with Ritchey SpeedMaxes, but they were a little slippery for my level of skill.
    > After I dragged myself out of the creek :) I put Geax Blades on it, and they were better. But I'm
    > always ready to try something new

    I would look at larger tires and run the biggest ones your frame will allow
    - the measured size on Michelin Mud (700x30)is around 35 mm, while the Geax
    (700x33) came in around 30 mm.

    Geax has a good tread and grip, but I went back to Muds because of the actual tire size. Ran them
    through the winter and all sorts of muddy slop. Of course, that's west coast mud, so it's totally
    different. ;^)

    They are supposed to be doing the Michelins in black/blue this year, if the bubble gum
    green bugs you.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~cyclofiend/bikes/Lemondcross.html

    -- Jim