Looking for info on a 1993(?) Schwinn Voyageur

sandro

Guest
Hello all!

I just purchased what I think is a 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP from ebay
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&item=200030072380).
I was wondering if anyone had the specifications (and possibly a
picture) from the 1983 Schwinn Brochure for me to read up on while I
wait for the bike to arrive. I really had my heart set on a 1985, but
this one seemed to be in good shape, so I decided to make the move....

It's clear from the pictures online, I get to re-do the rear
deraillleur cabling, but I'm wondering if all of the eyelets are there
to allow me to go ahead and pre-order fenders and a low-rider front
racks.

Thanks for looking,

-Sandro

Oops, I typo'd the original title.

-Sandro

sandro wrote:
> Oops, I typo'd the original title.
>
> -Sandro
>

> sandro wrote:
> > Hello all!
> >
> > I just purchased what I think is a 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP from ebay
> > (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&item=200030072380).
> > I was wondering if anyone had the specifications (and possibly a
> > picture) from the 1983 Schwinn Brochure for me to read up on while I
> > wait for the bike to arrive. I really had my heart set on a 1985, but
> > this one seemed to be in good shape, so I decided to make the move....
> >
> > It's clear from the pictures online, I get to re-do the rear
> > deraillleur cabling, but I'm wondering if all of the eyelets are there
> > to allow me to go ahead and pre-order fenders and a low-rider front
> > racks.
> >
> > Thanks for looking,
> >
> > -Sandro

It looks just like my Panasonic built Schwinn voyageur (non-SP) with
Tange No. 2 tubing, right down to the paint. Yours is in much better
condition than mine, however.

>From the Yellow Jersey website: http://www.yellowjersey.org/pana.html

"You can tell an Osaka-built Panasonic bicycle by its distinctive
serial number on the front of the lower headlug, which I think is
unique, at least to bikes of that era and style."

My headlug serial # is 3F03377. My headbadge s/n is 1023, making it's
build day the 102nd day of 1983.

Yours also looks like its a bit shorter than 61 cm. Mine is a 58 cm and
yours looks identical in size. I have the same aluminum racks, too.
There are no low rider braze ons on the front fork on mine; instead,
the fork crown has threaded bosses cast in on each side. (Yours has
these, too, according to the ebay pictures.)

It looks like your bike has everything it was origially delivered
with, Sugino AT 1/2 step + granny crankset, dia-compe cantis, Tange
JIS-sized headset, Suntour mountech derailers, Weinmwann non-aero
levers, Weinmann single wall concave rims, (laced with 40 spokes
4-cross rear & 36 spokes 3-cross front to Sunshine sealed bearing
hubs.) and a 5 spd cassette. (120mm spaced Suntour forged dropouts).
For racks and fenders, there are single eyelets in the front & double
eylets on the back.

The closest I've come to finding any information on the web is

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn/

Scroll down to find 1984 Voyaguer SP info.

Sheldon Brown's site has info on the tubing.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/japan.html#tange

My frame has lots of missing paint that reveals shiny silver chromium
plating underneath! Some day I'm going to strip it and see if the whole
thing is chromed. These are really very nice, well-made bikes.
Nice find!!

Earls61 wrote:

> It looks just like my Panasonic built Schwinn voyageur (non-SP) with
> Tange No. 2 tubing, right down to the paint.

Hmm, I was afraid of that. Similar vintage SP's seem to be Blue
Metallic w/ Blue heatube as opposed to the brown this bike sports. At
the same time I thought I could just make out the SP after the Voyageur
part of the name on the top tube.

> Yours also looks like its a bit shorter than 61 cm. Mine is a 58 cm and
> yours looks identical in size.

Yeah, it looks like a 23" to me as well. I have a '85 Traveller, and
the head-tube length is similar.

>I have the same aluminum racks, too.
> There are no low rider braze ons on the front fork on mine; instead,
> the fork crown has threaded bosses cast in on each side. (Yours has
> these, too, according to the ebay pictures.)

Ah, I had wondered how the rack was attached. I'm not sure how I feel
about full size racks (or the bosses in the crown). I'll give these a
try and see how it rides.

> The closest I've come to finding any information on the web is
> http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn/
> Scroll down to find 1984 Voyaguer SP info.

Yeah, I'd seen that page during my research (and the 1982 SP stats),
but I was hoping someone with a copy of the 1983 brochure would post up
a couple of scans (nudge, nudge).

I'm happy with the buy, but I'm hoping that the seller contacts me
soon... I've mailed a couple of questions to him and not heard back
yet. Hopefully monday (fingers crossed).

-Sandro

try this site, good but only goes to 1979:

http://www.geocities.com/sldatabook/contents.html