looking for information: Multi-use trails -- capacity modeling

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Finlay Anderson, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. hello all --

    I am wondering if any models exist that can could help illustrate the relative capacity of a
    multi-use facility for bicycles and pedestrians (assume no other uses such as rollerblades for
    now). I have had some exposure to using Erlang formulas for things such as modeling telephone
    trunk capacity or call center service levels, and thought that a similar application might exist
    for bike paths.

    One goal for such a model would be determining when to allow special events on the facility...

    As an example, I built a simple model, using the following assumptions--

    1. The relative speed at which a bicycle can comfortably and saftely navigate a facility is a
    function of how crowded the facility is; therefore bicyclists can act as a measure of the
    facility's available capacity; we might consider this a "service level" that can be managed or
    analyzed, much like traffic engineers manage transporation corridors

    2. System Capacity can be determined based on maximum number of pedestrians that can comfortably
    use the system; alternatively this might be considered the number at which no bikes would be
    able to saftely navigate the facility

    3. Byclists impact the facility as a function of their speed, therefore there is some relationship
    between the number of bicyclists that can safetly use the facility and the number of
    pedestrains that can comfortably use the facility

    4 A "multiplier" can be created that represents the tradeoffs between the pedestrians and bicyclists

    Your comments on these assumptions or any information about existing models would be appreciated (i
    am not really looking to re-create the wheel)

    thanks for you feedback

    FMA

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Wrong forum - Usenet. Try the Bicycle Transportation Institute or Chainguard/Effective Cycling.

    "Finlay Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hello all --
    >
    > I am wondering if any models exist that can could help illustrate the relative capacity of a
    > multi-use facility for bicycles and pedestrians (assume no other uses such as rollerblades for
    > now). I have had some exposure to using Erlang formulas for things such as modeling telephone
    > trunk capacity or call center service levels, and thought that a similar application might exist
    > for bike paths.
    >
    > One goal for such a model would be determining when to allow special events on the facility...
    >
    > As an example, I built a simple model, using the following assumptions--
    >
    > 1. The relative speed at which a bicycle can comfortably and saftely navigate a facility is a
    > function of how crowded the facility is; therefore bicyclists can act as a measure of the
    > facility's available capacity; we might consider this a "service level" that can be managed
    > or analyzed, much like traffic engineers manage transporation corridors
    >
    > 2. System Capacity can be determined based on maximum number of pedestrians that can comfortably
    > use the system; alternatively this might be considered the number at which no bikes would be
    > able to saftely navigate the facility
    >
    > 3. Byclists impact the facility as a function of their speed, therefore there is some
    > relationship between the number of bicyclists that can safetly use the facility and the
    > number of pedestrains that can comfortably use the facility
    >
    > 4 A "multiplier" can be created that represents the tradeoffs between the pedestrians and
    > bicyclists
    >
    > Your comments on these assumptions or any information about existing models would be appreciated
    > (i am not really looking to re-create the wheel)
    >
    > thanks for you feedback
    >
    > FMA

  3. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Finlay Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hello all --
    >
    > I am wondering if any models exist that can could help illustrate the relative capacity of a
    > multi-use facility for bicycles and pedestrians

    I'm not aware of any, but this is not my branch of statistical modelling. You might also try the
    "bicycling advocacy" group on Yahoo. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bicyclingadvocacy/

    This group is going to be more path-friendly than the fine folks on the Chainguard list.