Looking for legal terms for menu: fun

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 13, 2005.

  1. I like to print out a menu for each person seated for a formal dinner.
    This year I will have three first year law students joining us for the
    Sedar.
    I'd like to weave quazi-legal terms into the menu. For instance "8th
    Ammendment Horseradish" (hint: the 8th prohibits cruel and unusual
    punishment).
    There will be gefilte fish, chicken soup, brisket, chicken, salad,some
    side veggie, coffee, desert.
    The challenge is to come up with clever legal adjectives for these
    dishes.If there is a pun involved, so much the better.
    I'm open to suggestions - Mike

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > [snip]
    > I'd like to weave quazi-legal terms into the menu. ... There will be

    gefilte fish, chicken soup, brisket, chicken, salad, some
    > side veggie, coffee, desert. [snip]

    First things that come to mind are, for the chicken soup -- Homeland
    Security; for whatever is the plainest item on the menu -- res ipse
    loquitor. -aem

  3. "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:

    >First things that come to mind are, for the chicken soup -- Homeland
    >Security; for whatever is the plainest item on the menu -- res ipse
    >loquitor. -aem

    Now that's almost too subtle i.e. the chicken soup speaking for the
    cook! but funny!

  4. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I like to print out a menu for each person seated for a formal dinner.
    > This year I will have three first year law students joining us for the
    > Sedar.
    > I'd like to weave quazi-legal terms into the menu. For instance "8th
    > Ammendment Horseradish" (hint: the 8th prohibits cruel and unusual
    > punishment).
    > There will be gefilte fish, chicken soup, brisket, chicken, salad,some
    > side veggie, coffee, desert.
    > The challenge is to come up with clever legal adjectives for these
    > dishes.If there is a pun involved, so much the better.
    > I'm open to suggestions - Mike

    Go here:

    http://dictionary.law.com/

    Guilty fish

    Dimitri

  5. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I like to print out a menu for each person seated for a formal

    dinner.
    > This year I will have three first year law students joining us for

    the
    > Sedar.
    > I'd like to weave quazi-legal terms into the menu. For instance "8th
    > Ammendment Horseradish" (hint: the 8th prohibits cruel and unusual
    > punishment).
    > There will be gefilte fish, chicken soup, brisket, chicken,

    salad,some
    > side veggie, coffee, desert.
    > The challenge is to come up with clever legal adjectives for these
    > dishes.If there is a pun involved, so much the better.
    > I'm open to suggestions - Mike

    -Safe Harbor gefilte fish

    -Habeas Corpus of Chicken

    -Lien Brisket

    -Appealed Vegetables

    -Garnish Salad Greens

    -Expunge Cake

    -Tort Cake

    -Inter alia Coffee

    Rusty

  6. "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> I like to print out a menu for each person seated for a formal

    > dinner.
    >> This year I will have three first year law students joining us for

    > the
    >> Sedar.
    >> I'd like to weave quazi-legal terms into the menu. For instance "8th
    >> Ammendment Horseradish" (hint: the 8th prohibits cruel and unusual
    >> punishment).
    >> There will be gefilte fish, chicken soup, brisket, chicken,

    > salad,some
    >> side veggie, coffee, desert.
    >> The challenge is to come up with clever legal adjectives for these
    >> dishes.If there is a pun involved, so much the better.
    >> I'm open to suggestions - Mike

    > -Safe Harbor gefilte fish
    > -Habeas Corpus of Chicken
    > -Lien Brisket
    > -Appealed Vegetables
    > -Garnish Salad Greens
    > -Expunge Cake
    > -Tort Cake
    > -Inter alia Coffee

    > Rusty

    Oooh, Rusty, you are GOOD!

    Felice

  7. "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >-Safe Harbor gefilte fish
    >
    >-Habeas Corpus of Chicken
    >
    >-Lien Brisket
    >
    >-Appealed Vegetables
    >
    >-Garnish Salad Greens
    >
    >-Expunge Cake
    >
    >-Tort Cake
    >
    >-Inter alia Coffee
    >

    >Rusty

    The man's on a roll!
    Now, what will we call the hard-boiled egg? - MIke

  8. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Michael Horowitz wrote:
    > "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >-Safe Harbor gefilte fish
    > >
    > >-Habeas Corpus of Chicken
    > >
    > >-Lien Brisket
    > >
    > >-Appealed Vegetables
    > >
    > >-Garnish Salad Greens
    > >
    > >-Expunge Cake
    > >
    > >-Tort Cake
    > >
    > >-Inter alia Coffee
    > >

    > >Rusty

    > The man's on a roll!
    > Now, what will we call the hard-boiled egg? - MIke

    eggs post facto

    also......

    assault and pepper

    capricious coffee

    D.U.I. Chicken

    hotchpot soup de jure

    impeach cobbler

    Jury Box Lunch

    Let's hope the dinner isn't followed by a gag order.

    ;-)

    Rusty

  9. Dr. Dog

    Dr. Dog Guest

    Michael Horowitz wrote:
    > "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >-Safe Harbor gefilte fish
    > >
    > >-Habeas Corpus of Chicken
    > >
    > >-Lien Brisket
    > >
    > >-Appealed Vegetables
    > >
    > >-Garnish Salad Greens
    > >
    > >-Expunge Cake
    > >
    > >-Tort Cake
    > >
    > >-Inter alia Coffee
    > >

    > >Rusty

    > The man's on a roll!
    > Now, what will we call the hard-boiled egg? - MIke

    A yegg, of course. :)

    Dog

  10. How about '13th Amendment Charosis' (13th freed the slaves)?

    And since the english translation of 'sedar' is 'order', let's title
    the menu "Law and 'Order'"

    Roe v. Egg

    1L Salad (first years are called 1L's and they are 'green')

  11. Michael Horowitz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"aem" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>[email protected] wrote:

    >>First things that come to mind are, for the chicken soup -- Homeland
    >>Security; for whatever is the plainest item on the menu -- res ipse
    >>loquitor. -aem

    >Now that's almost too subtle i.e. the chicken soup speaking for the
    >cook! but funny!

    No, wrong term. Respondeat Superior is "the worker speaks for the
    employer". That's what happens when you understand only 1/4 of what
    the resident 1L is talking about. <G>