Looking For Metal Frame With 74 Degree Seat Angle?

kokamiguardz

Jun 28, 2015
Most likely looking for titanium in 58cm. Maybe a classic steel frame with the old 1" top tube. Seems hard to get a good price on a Reynolds 753 in North America. I am thinking a Columbus TRX or PRX?
I have seen the odd 73-1/2 degree seat angle only a early 80s Proteus at 74 degrees, unless it was for Triathlon or TT.

What size? Seat tube angles often vary a bit through the size range, steeper at the small end and slacker as the larger end.

Given those frame materials, have you considered custom?

Seat post angle is basically a non-issue and only serves to modify the saddle position with respect to BB. These days with various setback seat posts, it just doesn't matter. Now heat tube angle that is another thing altogether.

You can buy an older frame. 25 years ago, 74 degree seat and head tube angles were fairly common. That was the trend for some road bikes for a few years.

Head tube angle makes a difference. Seat tube angle makes little to no difference. For example, short chainstays might constrain the frame to a steep seat tube if the tube is straight, but a steep seat tube doesn't guarantee short chainstays. And as pointed out, saddle position is set appropriately though a seat post and saddle rail position that puts it where it needs to be regardless of seat tube angle.

However, if that seat post angle appeals to your esthetic sense, that's certainly sufficient motivation for going with it.

If the OP has short quads or prefers a forward position then a zero set back post with a steep/er seat tube angle will still require a very forward saddle position relative to the post's rails. This is not good if the saddle ends up out of its design parameters. I run a (custom frame) 75.5 seat tube, zero set back post, and my saddle pretty far forward (the rear post clamps outside of the "measurement" area).

For the OP it's hard to find a stock frame like that because not many people fit such a frame, just like not many people fit my frame. If a 74 is what you want you can get a custom frame. Be prepared to either spend more money or wait a bit longer or both. I went with an aluminum frame (Tsunami Bikes) which got me the custom geometry in 8 weeks for under $1000 (frame only).