Looking for Midwest trails

ctm78

May 10, 2004
I'm looking for a good set of trails within a few hours of the Chicago area for the scouts. In the past I've used Kettle Moraine north, which has worked out really well for us.

Ideally, I need someplace where you can camp relatively close to the trail head, and where there are various trails and difficulties. With the broad age range [11-21] I need somewhere that has offerings to suit a wide variety of skill levels and athletic abilities.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by ctm78
I'm looking for a good set of trails within a few hours of the Chicago area for the scouts. In the past I've used Kettle Moraine north, which has worked out really well for us.

Ideally, I need someplace where you can camp relatively close to the trail head, and where there are various trails and difficulties. With the broad age range [11-21] I need somewhere that has offerings to suit a wide variety of skill levels and athletic abilities.

Any thoughts?

A couple of hours west and you can check out Rockwood state park in Morrison. There is a campground there with shower facilites. I have not ridden it in years now, but they had a decent mix of dificulty. A little techincal though, and watch out for the horses.

Check out Rock Cut by Rockford... That may be what racer1192 was telling you... Nice riding.. not terrible difficult though... watch for trails that are for bikes... they do give tickets for going onnon approved bike trails.