my address.

Gadget

P.S I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for cash on here so if I've messed up I'm sorry

P.P. You can find more information about the ride at www.rometothedome.com

Why not set up an online charity account like I have? Your charity is listed at http://www.justgivi-
ng.com/fundraisers/fundraiser/default.asp?fid=2182&cat=&catid=&scat=&fl=L&scatid=

---
Don't be shy, click on the link below. http://www.justgiving.com/letour

L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295, I must be mad!
http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As many of you know I'm cycling Rome to the Dome in a weeks time for charity. Leukaemia Research
> actually.
>
> Well I have hit a problem and I was hoping for some help. I'm meant to of raised £1250 minimum
> sponsorship and I've only raised £400.
>
> If any of you kind hearted and generous people wish to sponsor me then
email
> me and I'll give you my address.
>
> Gadget
>
> P.S I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for cash on here so if I've messed
up
> I'm sorry
>
> P.P.S You can find more information about the ride at
www.rometothedome.com

Youve found out that apart from a few good friends made to feel obligated, people are not prepared
to pay for your holiday. I'm not against raising money for charity but these sponsored cycle rides
are doing nothing for promoting cycling as an enjoyable pastime. You wouldn't sponsor a person
driving a motor vehicle over the same route would you? Having said that, I hope you raise the money
and take part in what should be a most enjoyable ride.

John R "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As many of you know I'm cycling Rome to the Dome in a weeks time for charity. Leukaemia Research
> actually.
>
> Well I have hit a problem and I was hoping for some help. I'm meant to of raised £1250 minimum
> sponsorship and I've only raised £400.
>
> If any of you kind hearted and generous people wish to sponsor me then
email
> me and I'll give you my address.
>
> Gadget
>
> P.S I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for cash on here so if I've messed
up
> I'm sorry
>
> P.P.S You can find more information about the ride at
www.rometothedome.com

Thus spake "John Redman" <[email protected]>

> Youve found out that apart from a few good friends made to feel obligated, people are not prepared
> to pay for your holiday.

My sentiments entirely. Why *should* I pay for someone else's holiday? Why should I feel I ought to
pay *loads* of money for a charity in which I might only have a small interest?

> I'm not against raising money for charity but these sponsored cycle rides are doing nothing for
> promoting cycling as an enjoyable pastime.

There are similar 'walking' holidays, though.

I suspect these wonderful events cause donor fatigue to the detriment of other charities.

You have me on one of my hobby horses...

With you there. If I want to give money to Leukaemia Research I will do so directly so they get
all the money and not what's left over after paying for someone's holiday and the event
organiser's slice.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

news:[email protected]...

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:04:09 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

>I suspect these wonderful events cause donor fatigue to the detriment of other charities.
>
>You have me on one of my hobby horses...

I wonder if some of these events don't also damage the image of cycling. Rome to the Dome is one
thing, but some of the charity runs are over laughable distances. People are collecting money for
creeping round less than half of what most of us would consider a normal leisure ride. Promoting the
idea that a 30 mile ride at 12 mph is a heroic ordeal worthy of sponsorship is hardly likely to
encourage non-cyclists to start.

--
Dave...

In news:[email protected], Dave Kahn <[email protected]> typed:

> I wonder if some of these events don't also damage the image of cycling. Rome to the Dome is one
> thing, but some of the charity runs are over laughable distances. People are collecting money for
> creeping round less than half of what most of us would consider a normal leisure ride. Promoting
> the idea that a 30 mile ride at 12 mph is a heroic ordeal worthy of sponsorship is hardly likely
> to encourage non-cyclists to start.

Not as much as sponsoring someone £2000 to ride from the hotel to the beach in Cuba.

OK I exaggerate, but not much

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Promoting the idea that a 30 mile ride at 12 mph is a heroic ordeal worthy of sponsorship is
> hardly likely to encourage non-cyclists to start.

One such has been mentioned in the local paper, I know of people on this group who commute further
than this particular ride.

OTOH I once came across some people on the last 12 miles of their 90 mile charity ride against the
prevailing wind on cheapo knobbly tyred bikes and wearing jeans, they were suffering and I admired
their grit.

Pete

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I suspect these wonderful events cause donor fatigue to the detriment of other charities.
> >
> >You have me on one of my hobby horses...

> I wonder if some of these events don't also damage the image of cycling. Rome to the Dome is one
> thing, but some of the charity runs are over laughable distances. People are collecting money for
> creeping round less than half of what most of us would consider a normal leisure ride. Promoting
> the idea that a 30 mile ride at 12 mph is a heroic ordeal worthy of sponsorship is hardly likely
> to encourage non-cyclists to start.

I could take issue with you on this one. The SMNDA have a sponsored cycle/walk on the bicycle island
on the first Sunday in October. The participants have a great day, I take £20-00 irrespective of the
number of bikes used and the Newton Bar makes a profit on the ammount of drink sold
- they also provide free soup and a meeting room.

Last year SMNDA raised over £6,000 on one day on the bicycle island - and Mary McKie is a fantastic
organiser and fundraiser.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 23:28:25 +0100, Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >I suspect these wonderful events cause donor fatigue to the detriment of other charities.
>> >
>> >You have me on one of my hobby horses...
>
>> Promoting the idea that a 30 mile ride at 12 mph is a heroic ordeal worthy of sponsorship is
>> hardly likely to encourage non-cyclists to start.
>
>I could take issue with you on this one.

I'm sure you could, but I'm not sure you did.

> The SMNDA have a sponsored cycle/walk on the bicycle island on the first Sunday in October. The
> participants have a great day, I take £20-00 irrespective of the number of bikes used and the
> Newton Bar makes a profit on the ammount of drink sold
>- they also provide free soup and a meeting room.
>
>Last year SMNDA raised over £6,000 on one day on the bicycle island - and Mary McKie is a fantastic
>organiser and fundraiser.

I don't doubt that you and a lot of other people were generous. I do not dispute that a lot of money
was raised for a good cause. I also do not dispute that everyone had a good time; in fact this
rather makes my point. Surely the idea of collecting sponsorship is that you're doing something
difficult, arduous or dangerous. A short gentle cycle ride is not like that. It's fun. But it may
give sponsors the false impression that cycling 26 miles in 3 hours is somehow in the same league as
putting up a good performance in a marathon.

--
Dave...

Thus spake Sandy Morton <[email protected]>

> I could take issue with you on this one. The SMNDA have a sponsored cycle/walk on the bicycle
> island on the first Sunday in October. The participants have a great day, I take £20-00
> irrespective of the number of bikes used and the Newton Bar makes a profit on the ammount of
> drink sold
> - they also provide free soup and a meeting room.

> Last year SMNDA raised over £6,000 on one day on the bicycle island - and Mary McKie is a
> fantastic organiser and fundraiser.

This sounds like a great event. A trip to the bicycle island is not as exotic or expensive to
organise as a trip to Israel etc and I doubt that participants to this ride are compelled to obtain
£2000 sponsorship as a condition of entry. It is sums of this magnitude that really wind me up as
the emotional blackmail by participants becomes proportionally heavy. A £10 donation to SMNDA would
probably be welcomed by a rider; a similar offering towards such a holiday would receive a request
for more...

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> As many of you know I'm cycling Rome to the Dome in a weeks time for charity. Leukaemia Research
> actually.
>
> Well I have hit a problem and I was hoping for some help. I'm meant to of raised £1250 minimum
> sponsorship and I've only raised £400.
>
>As a matter of interest, bearing in mind recent news stories about
excessive commission/expenses being charged by charity organisers and fundraisers, how much cash
would Leukaemia Research get if you raised the minimum sponsorship of £1250. Iain

In news:[email protected], iarocu <[email protected]> typed:

> As a matter of interest, bearing in mind recent news stories about excessive commission/expenses
> being charged by charity organisers and fundraisers, how much cash would Leukaemia Research get if
> you raised the minimum sponsorship of £1250.

Actually, reading the website this one doesn't seem too bad with 75% minimum going to the charity.
OTOH I am not sure OP has read the details because this one seems proper in that the participant
pays £795 to the organiser for participating and then has to raise £1250 of sponsorship of which it
looks like the organiser gets a 25% maximum slice. If OP has indeed paid the £795 from his own
pocket to participate then I withdraw my earlier negative comments in respect of this particular
event. http://www.rometothedome.com/rules.asp?event_id=2

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Originally posted by Tony Raven
In news:[email protected], iarocu <[email protected]> typed:

> As a matter of interest, bearing in mind recent news stories about excessive commission/expenses
> being charged by charity organisers and fundraisers, how much cash would Leukaemia Research get if
> you raised the minimum sponsorship of £1250.

Actually, reading the website this one doesn't seem too bad with 75% minimum going to the charity.
OTOH I am not sure OP has read the details because this one seems proper in that the participant
pays £795 to the organiser for participating and then has to raise £1250 of sponsorship of which it
looks like the organiser gets a 25% maximum slice. If OP has indeed paid the £795 from his own
pocket to participate then I withdraw my earlier negative comments in respect of this particular
event. http://www.rometothedome.com/rules.asp?event_id=2

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Thank you Tony for your constructive comments throughout. Gadget was one of our riders this year on the Rome to the Dome event. I agree with you and others that there are a whole plethora of charity bike rides masquerading as "challenges" and which do nothing for the term, though I have mellowed somewhat from my position three years ago. It is up to sponsors if they want to get involved in these events and donate to charities, but in principle I remain opposed to participants being totally funded into the bargain. That is one reason I set out in the first place to self-fund and ride the 1400 miles from Rome to London, and do so within 16 days. I wanted something credible and something I could crow about in my old age. It was only as things developed that it turned into the charity ride it has become.

For the record, the first ride in 2001 raised £65,000, of which I took not a penny, but it did set off a train of events which for me were life changing. If I could afford to do it for free I would, but reality and the mortgage prevent this. Instead I have tried to reach a compromise whereby the charity gets the bulk, I get to organise this and future rides, and people get the chance to fulfill their dream of doing something of which they can be really proud. To date this year's ride has raised £47,000 and I am hopeful that we will raise more.

If you want to experience one of these real challenges, my next ride in May 2004 takes us to Monaco at the rate of 93 miles a day. Can you do that?