Looking for multi-day rides in US Southeast in July

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Captain Dondo, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. It looks like I'll have about a week in July to do some riding. I'm looking for a good multi-day
    ride - something like BRAG, but BRAG is in June and probably won't fit my schedule.

    I'll probably be able to take the second or third week.

    Thanks,

    -Dondo

    Tags:

  2. >It looks like I'll have about a week in July to do some riding. I'm looking for a good multi-day
    >ride - something like BRAG, but BRAG is in June and probably won't fit my schedule.
    >
    >I'll probably be able to take the second or third week.

    My issue of Adventure Cyclist magazine arrived and lists many organized July 2003 events, but only
    CAM in the southeast (if Maryland counts as southeast):

    Bicycle tour of Colorado - July 20-26 http://www.bicycletourcolo.com

    Cycle the Divide - July 12-18 http://www.adventurecycling.com

    Ragbrai - July 20-26 http://www.ragbrai.org

    Maine Lighthouse tour - July 3-10 http://www.canamwheelers.com

    Coast Tour Maine Wheels - July 13-18 http://www.coastaltour.com

    Cycle Tour Across Maryland - July http://www.onelesscar.org

    Michigander - July 12-18 http://www.railtrails.org/mi

    WAM - July 24-27 http://www.wishmich.org

    MS Tram - July 27-August 1 http://www.mstram.com

    Cycle Montana - July 19-25 http://www.adventurecycling.org/tours

    Bon Ton Roulet - July 20-26 http://www.bontonroulet.com

    Cycling the Erie Canal - July 6-13 http://www.nypca.org/canaltour

    Fany Ride - July 20-26 http://www.fanyride.com

    Pedal PA - July 12-19 http://www.pedalpa.com

    Cycle Washington - July 26-August 1 http://www.adventurecycling.org

    Tour de Wyoming - July 20-25 http://www.cyclewyoming.org

    I've also used sites such as http://www.biketour.com and http://www.nbtda.com to search for
    organized tours.

    You could also do your own self-supported ride during that time. Gives you the freedom to go when
    and where you want to ride.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen http://www.fietstocht.com

  3. Art Murphy

    Art Murphy Guest

    Captain Dondo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > It looks like I'll have about a week in July to do some riding. I'm looking for a good multi-day
    > ride - something like BRAG, but BRAG is in June and probably won't fit my schedule.
    >
    > I'll probably be able to take the second or third week.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Dondo

    Ol' Man River Tour Jul 12, 13 9 AM Reelfoot Lake Airpark Also known as the Tour of Three States,
    this ride begins at Reelfoot Lake Airpark (look way up in the Northwest corner of Tennessee). We'll
    meet there at 9 a.m. and ride north to Hickman, Kentucky where we'll stop for coffee and then cross
    the Mississippi on the Hickman ferry. We'll regroup on the Missouri side and ride to New Madrid for
    lunch, noting the levees that contain the Mississippi River. After lunch, we'll continue on to
    Sikeston where the Day's Inn will welcome us with showers and an indoor pool. For dinner, we'll head
    to Lambert's, home of the "throwed"rolls where the dining experience is truly unique. The return
    trip on Sunday leaves at about 8:30 a.m. and takes us through East Prairie and back across the big
    river to Reelfoot Lake. Call the Days Inn (573)471-3930 to reserve your room. Call Ed Jones
    (901)374-0582 to let him know you are coming.

    Grins, Art

  4. On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:50:58 -0500, Art Murphy wrote:

    > Ol' Man River Tour Jul 12, 13 9 AM ? Also known as the Tour of Three States, this ride begins at
    > Reelfoot Lake Airpark (look way up in the Northwest corner of Tennessee). We'll meet there at 9
    > a.m. and ride north to Hickman, Kentucky where we'll stop for coffee and then cross the
    > Mississippi on the Hickman ferry. We'll regroup on the Missouri side and ride to New Madrid for
    > lunch, noting the levees that contain the Mississippi River. After lunch, we'll continue on to
    > Sikeston where the Day's Inn will welcome us with showers and an indoor pool. For dinner, we'll
    > head to Lambert's, home of the "throwed"rolls where the dining experience is truly unique. The
    > return trip on Sunday leaves at about 8:30 a.m. and takes us through East Prairie and back
    > across the big river to Reelfoot Lake. Call the Days Inn (573)471-3930 to reserve your room.
    > Call Ed Jones
    > (901)374-0582 to let him know you are coming.
    >
    > Grins, Art

    Where exactly is Reelfoot Lake Airpark? Yahoo's mapper can't find it.

    -Dondo

  5. Art Murphy

    Art Murphy Guest

    Captain Dondo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Where exactly is Reelfoot Lake Airpark? Yahoo's mapper can't find it.
    >
    > -Dondo
    Hello: Reelfoot Lake Airpark is exactly at: 36 29'N-89 21'W; which is west of Reelfoot Lake,
    Tennessee.

    Directions: Take Hwy 412 from I-40 at Jackson North to Dyersburg and Hwy 78 North from Dyersburg to
    Tiptonville OR take Hwy 22 from I-40 to Union City and Tiptonville.

    There is a map at http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/reelfoot/direct.htm

    I hope this helps, Art