Looking for my first mountain bike.

DraXxus1549

Jun 1, 2010
Hello, I am 19 and I am looking to get a mountain bike for casual trail riding. I would like to keep the price under $300 as I am not certain that I will stay with it. I don't want a full suspension, front suspension is just fine. So what do you guys suggest?

DraXxus1549 said:
I am looking to get a mountain bike for casual trail riding. I would like to keep the price under $300 as I am not certain that I will stay with it. I don't want a full suspension, front suspension is just fine. So what do you guys suggest?
Check eBay ...

If you are ambitious, you can choose a reasonably good fork + Hardtail frame + wheels + drivetrain and come close to your $300 target ...

OR, you may actually find a ready-to-ride Hardtail which has a good fork for about that amount.

alfeng said:
Check eBay ...

If you are ambitious, you can choose a reasonably good fork + Hardtail frame + wheels + drivetrain and come close to your $300 target ...

OR, you may actually find a ready-to-ride Hardtail which has a good fork for about that amount.

How ambitious would I need to be to put one together? Also and suggestions on a bike with a good fork that is ready to ride?

DraXxus1549 said:
How ambitious would I need to be to put one together? Also and suggestions on a bike with a good fork that is ready to ride?
Well, most "wrenching" requires that you have previously demonstrated the capability to unscrew-out-and-screw-in a light bulb ... some instruction may be necessary & most of it is available at www.parktool.com OR you can buy (or, borrow from some libraries) a copy of a book like ZINN AND THE ART OF MOUNTAIN BIKE MAINTENANCE.

You'll need some generic Metric tools + possibly some bike specific tools (e.g., Bottom Bracket tool + cassette lockring tool + chain tool ... the last two are items you will probably want to own regardless of whether you buy a ready-to-ride bike or assemble one yourself). You can actually buy most of the non-bike-specific tools you which you may need from a place like HARBOR FREIGHT if you don't happen to have some of them already.

I see some pretty nice, USED suspension forks being sold for less than $100 on eBay quite frequently ... you can certainly pay more!

You can check Mountain Bike Product Reviews - Mtbr.com to see how good/bad a particular suspension fork is considered to be.

You can certainly buy a USED Hardtail frame for $50+ (not counting shipping) ... of course, you can pay more!

After that, how much you choose to spend on the rest of the components depends on your budget -- nicer components are lighter.

As far as a good Hardtail for $300 which is ready to ride ... tough to find unless you are looking at used bikes ... choose the bike based on the fork. IMO, Marzocchi is better than Rock Shox ... and, Rock Shox is better than Manitou. RST should be avoided as most-if-not-all are nothing better than glorified pogo sticks.