Looking for new road bike-$1,000

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by msconana, Apr 26, 2004.

1. msconana

msconana New Member

Hello,
    A bit about me:
    I'm 34, 5'7", inseam of 30 1/2, live in Longmont, CO, currently have a hybrid mountain bike and am now looking for a road bike. Hubby just got a K2 Mach 3 and loves it and he is now coasting circles around me as I labor my heavy hybrid all over town. Ugh. I give up! I bought myself some pedals and shoes that I've put on my old bike and they will transfer to my new one as well. So I'll start practicing 360 degree pedaling while I'm looking. I can spend no more than $1,000. As far as what I plan on doing...well, I would like to work up to some longer rides. The longest I've been so far has been 9 miles. Maybe someday I'll have the muscle to go several hours! We've just moved here are are figuring out all the neat areas to bike around--cool that there are so many bike lanes on roads!

I went to REI yesterday in Denver and looked at bikes there. The guy there put me on the same bike as Brad's, the Mach 3. Same size 54-58 and after messing around a bit thought that it might be just perfect if they flipped the handlebar stem (probably not the right term) upside down, made it about an inch shorter and tipped the bars up a bit. That seemed right to me, but now I'm concerned about reaching the brakes easily. I have short hands but long legs! :) I can reach the brakes and pull them but my fingers can't really wrap around the fronts of the levers... REI basically has a crap selection of women's bikes (don't get me wrong, I love the store) so I'll have to start calling around to see about women's bikes in the area.

Anyway, if you have any ideas on bikes for my size, or if you are in CO and have ideas on where to get women's bikes that would be great! Thanks so much!

Julia
    www.innervoiceartstudio.com

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Julia,

Hi, we are about the same size, 5'7" & 31". I did the Wrench Science self measue test on the weekend and my ideal frame top tube C-C size is 52cm. For you, 54-58 will be too big. The Wrench Science page also suggests a stem length for arm length. http://www.wrenchscience.com

A Felt 52cm may be a better fit. Also, as we age give some thought to comfort and road shock protection. Carbon forks, rear stays and seat post have been recomemded to me by my Physio.

This page in my local area may help you too: http://www.trysport.com.au/main_training_bikefit.htm

cheers
    George (54 yrs)

3. msconana

msconana New Member

4. Utah roadie

Utah roadie New Member

My suggestion would be a Specialized Dolce sport. It's a great women's specific bike. It has a sloping top tube that cuts weight and improves fit. It has a carbon fork which absorbs road shock.
    The smaller bars decrease the distance to the breaks which is good news to your smaller hands. It's a light aluminum frame and has fast-rolling tires which make the bike fast, but it's practical.
    It has a triple crankset which helps out when climbing. It's only $660 so you can get some nice accessories with your savings. Plus, it's just a cute looking bike that makes you feel like it has its own personality.

For more info go to: www.specialized.com

Good luck,

5. cannongirl

cannongirl New Member

Hi Julia,
    There has to be an LBS in your area, if you go to some of the major manufacturers sites they list Dealers...

Lots of good suggestions here I see....so also take a look at the Cannondale R400 CAAD4...they do make a WSD (Womens specific design), plus you'll have some change to buy some road bike apparel...

I've never ridden a CAAD4, but the frame does look kind of like my CAAD7 with the Hourglass rear stays...they make for a smooooth ride...

:)

6. gclark8

gclark8 New Member