Looking for new road bike - standard road bike or comfort - suggestions?

Mike

Guest
I am looking at getting back into biking and have been looking at new road bikes and I am looking
for advice. I am looking to ride for fitness and distance riding (centuries, etc).

I own a '93 Specialized Sirrus Cro-Moly bike - I have never felt comfortable with it - which is the
main reason I quit riding - I felt "beat" up by the bike - numb hands, sore rear, etc. I have had it
adjusted many times with no relief. Also, the Suntour components have been a pain...

I have been looking at the newer comfort bikes like the Specialized Sequoia Comp and the Trek
1800C(04) / 2200C(03). I was also looking at the Specialized Roubaix - more into the performance end
but the sales guy said that it would probably be more comfortable than my old Sirrus....

Are the newer comfort bikes all that they promise? Or is it better to go into a lower end
performance bike? Also, any other brands/models that I should look at? I started with Specialized
and Trek because I am the most familiar with them.

Thanks Mike

On 31 Jan 2004 22:03:29 -0800, [email protected] (Mike) wrote:

>Are the newer comfort bikes all that they promise? Or is it better to go into a lower end
>performance bike? Also, any other brands/models that I should look at? I started with Specialized
>and Trek because I am the most familiar with them.

have you ridden a new and see what you like? the sore rear is a seat issue. that is only solved by
trial and error. the rest is mostly fit. so you need to make sure you get the bike well fitted. go
with what feels good first of all.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking at getting back into biking and have been looking at new road bikes and I am looking
> for advice. I am looking to ride for fitness and distance riding (centuries, etc).
>
> I own a '93 Specialized Sirrus Cro-Moly bike - I have never felt comfortable with it - which is
> the main reason I quit riding - I felt "beat" up by the bike - numb hands, sore rear, etc. I have
> had it adjusted many times with no relief. Also, the Suntour components have been a pain...
>
> I have been looking at the newer comfort bikes like the Specialized Sequoia Comp and the Trek
> 1800C(04) / 2200C(03). I was also looking at the Specialized Roubaix - more into the performance
> end but the sales guy said that it would probably be more comfortable than my old Sirrus....
>
> Are the newer comfort bikes all that they promise? Or is it better to go into a lower end
> performance bike? Also, any other brands/models that I should look at? I started with Specialized
> and Trek because I am the most familiar with them.
>
> Thanks Mike

If you're planning on doing centuries, you're probably going to end up being more comfortable, in
the end, on a racing-style road bike. But you need to have someone who knows what they're doing help
you out with getting the bike fit properly. And it's a little like a golf swing. What actually works
best may not feel quite right to you the first few times. Go to www.coloradocyclist.com and
carefully read the section on their website about bike fit. If you didn't follow these guidelines in
setting up your old bike, it's probably got a lot to do with why you were never comfortable on it.
Also, keep in mind that proper fit is so important that serious, high-mileage cyclists and racers
can tell if they get their bike back from the shop and, say for example, the saddle is 1/4 inch too
low or the bars are tilted up 1/4" too much. You have three contact points on the bike ... your
hands, your feet and your butt. Proper fit will balance the weight distribution between them so you
don't get numb hands or a numb butt and so that your knees don't take a beating as well. Most
"comfort" bikes will have you too upright. They'll be comfortable for 10 or 20 miles. They
absolutely won't be comfortable for 100 miles.

Bob C.

> I have been looking at the newer comfort bikes like the Specialized Sequoia Comp and the Trek
> 1800C(04) / 2200C(03). I was also looking at the Specialized Roubaix - more into the performance
> end but the sales guy said that it would probably be more comfortable than my old Sirrus....
>
> Are the newer comfort bikes all that they promise? Or is it better to go into a lower end
> performance bike?

In a post yesterday, I covered some of this-

> Out of curiosity (unless you prefer not to answer), how many mid-level road bikes are sold for
> every high-end road bike?

That's going to depend upon the shop and the marketplace. There are bicycle retailers that don't
even sell mid-level product, just high-end stuff, just as there are shops that only sell road bikes
below $1200. As an industry, I'd guess (and this is *only* a guess!!!) that twice as many road bikes
are sold below $1200 as above.> I have been looking at the newer comfort bikes like the Specialized

Road bikes tend to skew towards higher price points because most shops don't do much regarding fit
on moderately-priced bikes, so they don't feel terribly comfortable when people ride them. This is a
tremendous discouragement to sales, and the "answer" from the manufacturers has been to come up with
screwy designs that "force" the fit many customer want by using shorter top tubes and goofy-looking
stems... creating a greater likelihood that the stock bike is going to have the fit they want.
There's nothing wrong, per se, with the "comfort" road bike designs that have hit the market. It's
just that they usually don't accomplish anything that couldn't be done with a standard road bike, if
only the shop cared to do so.

The better road-bike shops discovered long ago that miraculous road-bike sales levels can be
achieved by simply fitting the bike to the customer, using shorter and/or taller stems, choosing a
bar with a different forward reach, and paying attention to how they looked when actually riding.

psycholist wrote:

> If you're planning on doing centuries, you're probably going to end up being more comfortable, in
> the end, on a racing-style road bike.

I'd say, instead, that you'd be more comfortable on a touring-style road bike.

Most people doing centuries aren't trying to break five hours. I think most century riders would
benefit more from a little more comfort, rather than a little more speed at the expense of comfort.

There's a spectrum of bike styles, from super-comfortable sit-up-and-beg bikes for slow trips around
the block, to nose-to-the-front-wheel bikes for contortionist racers. But I think the most
comfortable bike for a century ride is a touring bike - something with a bit higher handlebars, but
still drop bars; with a little more stable handling, so you can relax a bit; something with low
gears for the killer hill at mile 90.

Most people approach a century like a tour, not a race. For that use, a touring bike is better than
a racing bike. And even if you wanted to ride it fast, if you lowered the handlebars and installed
skinny tires on your touring bike, you'd be as fast as if you were on a racing bike.

> But you need to have someone who knows what they're doing help you out with getting the bike fit
> properly.

Absolutely true, no matter what type of bike you ride!

(Of course, there's that other style of bike that starts with the letter "r", but I won't go there.)

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

------------ And now a word from our sponsor --------------------- For a secure high performance FTP
using SSL/TLS encryption upgrade to SurgeFTP ---- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----

> I am looking at getting back into biking and have been looking at new road bikes and I am looking
> for advice. I am looking to ride for fitness and distance riding (centuries, etc).
>
> I own a '93 Specialized Sirrus Cro-Moly bike - I have never felt comfortable with it - which is
> the main reason I quit riding - I felt "beat" up by the bike - numb hands, sore rear, etc. I have
> had it adjusted many times with no relief. Also, the Suntour components have been a pain...
>
> I have been looking at the newer comfort bikes like the Specialized Sequoia Comp and the Trek
> 1800C(04) / 2200C(03). I was also looking at the Specialized Roubaix - more into the performance
> end but the sales guy said that it would probably be more comfortable than my old Sirrus....
>
> Are the newer comfort bikes all that they promise? Or is it better to go into a lower end
> performance bike? Also, any other brands/models that I should look at? I started with Specialized
> and Trek because I am the most familiar with them.

A lot of people *really* like the Sequoiahs, so you probably won't go wrong as long as it fits
you properly.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking at getting back into biking and have been looking at new road bikes and I am looking
> for advice. I am looking to ride for fitness and distance riding (centuries, etc).

Look into the Bianchi lineup. Their Eros is their best seller for the type of bike you are
describing. I have a Veloce and it has been great.

Pat in TX

Which bike did you end up getting??

I'm also looking at the Specialized Roubaix and I'm anxiously looking for some reviews. Thoughts comments from anyone??!!

Think this bike is appropriate for triathlons? Esp. the geometry and body position? Comfort is more important to me than speed.....if I need to lighten up I'll loose weight first.

karun <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Which bike did you end up getting??
>
> I'm also looking at the Specialized Roubaix and I'm anxiously looking for some reviews. Thoughts
> comments from anyone??!!
>
> Think this bike is appropriate for triathlons? Esp. the geometry and body position? Comfort is
> more important to me than speed.....if I need to lighten up I'll loose weight first.

I have learned alot in the past few weeks since I orignally posted the message.

First, I bought a good pair of bike shorts - Nike Dri-Fit - a world of difference even on my old
uncomfortable saddle.

Second, most bike stores and people in this group - suggested a good 'fitting' road bike as opposed
to a comfort bike. On my current bike, I made some adjustments to handlebars (drop between seat
height and handlebars) which helped with my hand pain alot.

I just bought a new road bike this past weekend - I did the 'opposite' of my original post - I
didn't go with a low end rad bike but bought a high end - a Trek 5200 carbon fiber bike. I went a
size down which decreased the top tube length and brought the handlebars closer and addressed my
other 'pain' issue with my back when trying to ride on the brake hoods.

I never tested a Specialized - only looked at the Trek 2200, 5200 and the LeMond Zurich. I was a
little skeptical of the insert technology of the Roubaix's (the engineer in me).

Mike

FWIW, the lemond zurich is the most comfortable bike I have ridden in 30+ years of riding and out of
7 other steeds of different configurations and materials. For me, steel was real but I now ride Ti
but have the Zurich as a backup.