Looking for new tires

Brianstoiber

May 3, 2009
I am looking for a new set of tires. I have a couple small chunks in my old set that came with my bike last year. I mainly ride on asphalt but I do find myself on crushed limestone (very fine grains) often too.

I don't do any racing, just like riding for myself. I currently have a 2009 Giant Defy advanced 3 with Michelin Pro Race3, 700x25 Folding tires.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

What brands does your bike shop carry? Or are you willing to order online? Do you group ride or do you ride alone and how fast do you like to ride? Would you want to stay with the 25mm tires or go smaller with say a 23mm tires?

TKOS said:
What brands does your bike shop carry? Or are you willing to order online? Do you group ride or do you ride alone and how fast do you like to ride? Would you want to stay with the 25mm tires or go smaller with say a 23mm tires?

I have no problem ordering online. 95% of all my rides are by myself (or with my girl friend who I have to slow down for). I like to ride between 15-20ish mph. I like to go for distance as opposed to speed mostly. I really don't care if they are 25 or 23mm, I just want them to be able to handle the crushed limestone (again it is very fine grains of limestone) and I don't want to have to worry too much about flats.

• Maxxis Re-fuse
  • Michelin Krylion
  • Conti GP4000
  • Schwalbe Ultremo DD
Of course there are more, but it's a start....

What are the trade offs between 23 and 25mm? Other than thinner which I would assume means less grip trade off for less rolling resistance on the road... = slightly faster speeds?

A lot depends on terrain of course but if it were a flat smooth road then thinner would be a bit faster. But of course you want to go on crushed gravel paths sometimes and say that speed isn't the biggest concern, so I would opt for the 25mm myself.

I raced on 25mm tires that came with my bike for a couple of years and held on well enough. I replaced them with 23mm tires and did better, though I was a better rider at the time.

For commuting on rough roads I like my 25mm tires personally.

Those options above look pretty good. Though I would prefer the Michelin Dynamic a bit more. Comes in a variety of sizes and has a bit of tread pattern to it. Not very expensive from Jenson either

MICHELIN DYNAMIC ROAD TIRE at JensonUSA.com

Unfortunately, on a road tire, tread pattern does nothing, at least in terms of water.

alienator said:
Unfortunately, on a road tire, tread pattern does nothing, at least in terms of water.
Yes, I didn't say water? But he did say path use. And tread pattern does help in cooler weather. The sips create slight movement in the tire which leads to some heat. Makes for more useful year round tires.

But the Krylions will be nice as well. Worse case scenario a tire wears out a bit fast for you and you know not to buy it in the future. Different people ride differently so a review is a good place to start but ultimately you will find the right tire for you.

TKOS said:
Yes, I didn't say water? But he did say path use. And tread pattern does help in cooler weather. The sips create slight movement in the tire which leads to some heat. Makes for more useful year round tires.

But the Krylions will be nice as well. Worse case scenario a tire wears out a bit fast for you and you know not to buy it in the future. Different people ride differently so a review is a good place to start but ultimately you will find the right tire for you.

I am not too worried about the ride itself since I don't do any racing and am not really out for speed, I just want a tire that will help reduce punctures from glass, rocks that are unavoidable and pinch flats (that last one is hard to do no matter what though).

Brianstoiber said:
I am not too worried about the ride itself since I don't do any racing and am not really out for speed, I just want a tire that will help reduce punctures from glass, rocks that are unavoidable and pinch flats (that last one is hard to do no matter what though).

Conti Gatorskins are known to be good durable tires (although I have never run them). Pinch flats are VERY avoidable! Air up your tires before every ride and you should NOT be getting pinch flats (OK, I weigh like 120lbs and NEVER pinch - it is admittedly more of an issue for some, but should still be pretty avoidable).

Look for a tire with a high TPI. The higher the more durable. Aim for a 120. Those generally cost a little more than the 60 TPI tires but are worth it for avoiding flats long term, IMO.