looking for OEM headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Vieselmeye, May 19, 2003.

  1. I've found several references on the web to a Dia-Compe STR headset with a stack height of 23mm. As
    far as I can tell, it's only available as OEM on Trek and Gary Fisher bikes. I haven't been able to
    determine if it's made in 1" (what I need) or just 1 1/8". Also, is it possible to order these OEM
    bits directly, or would I have to hunt around for a discarded one?

    - mark

    Tags:

  2. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've found several references on the web to a Dia-Compe STR headset with a stack height of 23mm.
    > As far as I can tell, it's only available as OEM on Trek and Gary Fisher bikes. I haven't been
    > able to determine if it's made in 1" (what I need) or just 1 1/8". Also, is it possible to order
    > these OEM bits directly, or would I have to hunt around for a discarded one?
    >
    > - mark

    this might not be helpful, but.. someone pointed out www.big-wheel.com a while ago to me. i poked
    around. the site has a LOT of cheap OEM stuff, including from diacompe. the site's design is bull,
    but if you get the hang of the search terms it starts to move along.

    just a thought.

  3. ant <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:<[email protected]>...
    :> I've found several references on the web to a Dia-Compe STR headset with a stack height of 23mm.
    :> As far as I can tell, it's only available as OEM on Trek and Gary Fisher bikes. I haven't been
    :> able to determine if it's made in 1" (what I need) or just 1 1/8". Also, is it possible to order
    :> these OEM bits directly, or would I have to hunt around for a discarded one?
    :>
    :> - mark

    : this might not be helpful, but.. someone pointed out www.big-wheel.com a while ago to me. i poked
    : around. the site has a LOT of cheap OEM stuff, including from diacompe. the site's design is bull,
    : but if you get the hang of the search terms it starts to move along.

    Thanks for the pointer. I could swear that underneath the graphics that's the exact same site as
    www.bikepartsusa.com. Anyway, I couldn't find the particular headset I was looking for. My LBS
    couldn't find it either. They did find a BMX headset with a 22mm stack height, but that was only
    available in 1 1/8" dia.

    - mark

  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the pointer. I could swear that underneath the graphics that's the exact same site as
    > www.bikepartsusa.com. Anyway, I couldn't find the particular headset I was looking for. My LBS
    > couldn't find it either. They did find a BMX headset with a 22mm stack height, but that was only
    > available in 1 1/8" dia.

    well, theres always rec.bicycles.marketplace. bit of a longshot, but maybe youd tap into the store
    owners and they'd know where to find it? i guess rbt has a few of those too..

    curiosity: why so set on this one headset? can one not alter stackheight a bit here and there
    without changing dramatically how the bike feels/looks? (i mean, not *alter* the headset
    stackheight, just get one with similar SH)

    good luck,

    anthony

  5. ant <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote in message

    :> Thanks for the pointer. I could swear that underneath the graphics that's the exact same site as
    :> www.bikepartsusa.com. Anyway, I couldn't find the particular headset I was looking for. My LBS
    :> couldn't find it either. They did find a BMX headset with a 22mm stack height, but that was only
    :> available in 1 1/8" dia.

    : well, theres always rec.bicycles.marketplace. bit of a longshot, but maybe youd tap into the store
    : owners and they'd know where to find it? i guess rbt has a few of those too..

    : curiosity: why so set on this one headset? can one not alter stackheight a bit here and there
    : without changing dramatically how the bike feels/looks? (i mean, not *alter* the headset
    : stackheight, just get one with similar SH)

    I'm just trying to get a shorter stackheight than I currently have because there are very few stems
    that will fit with how much steerer I have to work with. The OEM and BMX headsets are the shortest
    ones I've seen. I went ahead and had my LBS order an Aheadset with 24.5mm stack height. That gives
    me an extra 3.5mm to work with. Not much, but every little bit helps.

    - mark