looking for OEM headset

Mark Vieselmeye

Guest
I've found several references on the web to a Dia-Compe STR headset with a stack height of 23mm. As
far as I can tell, it's only available as OEM on Trek and Gary Fisher bikes. I haven't been able to
determine if it's made in 1" (what I need) or just 1 1/8". Also, is it possible to order these OEM
bits directly, or would I have to hunt around for a discarded one?

- mark

Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've found several references on the web to a Dia-Compe STR headset with a stack height of 23mm.
> As far as I can tell, it's only available as OEM on Trek and Gary Fisher bikes. I haven't been
> able to determine if it's made in 1" (what I need) or just 1 1/8". Also, is it possible to order
> these OEM bits directly, or would I have to hunt around for a discarded one?
>
> - mark

this might not be helpful, but.. someone pointed out www.big-wheel.com a while ago to me. i poked
around. the site has a LOT of cheap OEM stuff, including from diacompe. the site's design is bull,
but if you get the hang of the search terms it starts to move along.

just a thought.

ant <[email protected]> wrote:
: Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote in message
: news:<[email protected]>...
:> I've found several references on the web to a Dia-Compe STR headset with a stack height of 23mm.
:> As far as I can tell, it's only available as OEM on Trek and Gary Fisher bikes. I haven't been
:> able to determine if it's made in 1" (what I need) or just 1 1/8". Also, is it possible to order
:> these OEM bits directly, or would I have to hunt around for a discarded one?
:>
:> - mark

: this might not be helpful, but.. someone pointed out www.big-wheel.com a while ago to me. i poked
: around. the site has a LOT of cheap OEM stuff, including from diacompe. the site's design is bull,
: but if you get the hang of the search terms it starts to move along.

Thanks for the pointer. I could swear that underneath the graphics that's the exact same site as
www.bikepartsusa.com. Anyway, I couldn't find the particular headset I was looking for. My LBS
couldn't find it either. They did find a BMX headset with a 22mm stack height, but that was only
available in 1 1/8" dia.

- mark

Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Thanks for the pointer. I could swear that underneath the graphics that's the exact same site as
> www.bikepartsusa.com. Anyway, I couldn't find the particular headset I was looking for. My LBS
> couldn't find it either. They did find a BMX headset with a 22mm stack height, but that was only
> available in 1 1/8" dia.

well, theres always rec.bicycles.marketplace. bit of a longshot, but maybe youd tap into the store
owners and they'd know where to find it? i guess rbt has a few of those too..

curiosity: why so set on this one headset? can one not alter stackheight a bit here and there
without changing dramatically how the bike feels/looks? (i mean, not *alter* the headset
stackheight, just get one with similar SH)

good luck,

anthony

ant <[email protected]> wrote:
: Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote in message

:> Thanks for the pointer. I could swear that underneath the graphics that's the exact same site as
:> www.bikepartsusa.com. Anyway, I couldn't find the particular headset I was looking for. My LBS
:> couldn't find it either. They did find a BMX headset with a 22mm stack height, but that was only
:> available in 1 1/8" dia.

: well, theres always rec.bicycles.marketplace. bit of a longshot, but maybe youd tap into the store
: owners and they'd know where to find it? i guess rbt has a few of those too..

: curiosity: why so set on this one headset? can one not alter stackheight a bit here and there
: without changing dramatically how the bike feels/looks? (i mean, not *alter* the headset
: stackheight, just get one with similar SH)

I'm just trying to get a shorter stackheight than I currently have because there are very few stems
that will fit with how much steerer I have to work with. The OEM and BMX headsets are the shortest
ones I've seen. I went ahead and had my LBS order an Aheadset with 24.5mm stack height. That gives
me an extra 3.5mm to work with. Not much, but every little bit helps.

- mark