Looking for old bike parts - links welcome

Toxicdistortion

Guest
Greetings!

First time poster here but longtime Usenet junkie :)

Anyway, my situation is somewhat bleak. I have an old Specialized bike set up as a road bike (not
sure exactly what "kind" of frame it has, road or touring or what). The bike was given to me out of
the blue many years ago, and I have been riding it ever since. I figure this bike would have been
new in the mid 80's. The problem now is wear and tear. I'm looking for links, hints, tips, advice
on where I can find some old parts for this bike. It's a 15 speed and the rear gears are pretty
worn, causing the chain to slip. I've been told that rear 5 gear cassettes (did I use the right
term?) are next to non existent. Also the rear fork is so narrow that there's really no room to
"fudge" anything.

I really like this bike and would hate to have to scrap it. I know modifications can be done but I'm
just not sure it would be very cost effective. Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA!

-gk-

"Toxicdistortion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yeah, these guys mentioned that, but then I could find myself getting
into
> an upgrade that I can't really afford. What I want is to to ride my bike without the gears
> slipping. Of course, that may not be possible without
> significant upgrade.
>
> *sigh*

You don't have to upgrade anything. All you need is a new freewheel (or cassette) and a new chain.
Try Harris Cyclery as someone else mentioned http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html .
They have a Shimano uniglide freewheel listed at $19.95 and they have Suntour freewheels for $39.95.

So by the time you add up a chain, freewheel and either a freewheel tool or a shop to install it, it
might cost a bit more than you'd like, but it's not really that bad, it's your bike, how could you
live without it?

I think you are looking for a five speed freewheel. You can get one at big-wheel.com. Regards, Ernie

Toxicdistortion wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> First time poster here but longtime Usenet junkie :)
>
> Anyway, my situation is somewhat bleak. I have an old Specialized bike set up as a road bike (not
> sure exactly what "kind" of frame it has, road or touring or what). The bike was given to me out
> of the blue many years ago, and I have been riding it ever since. I figure this bike would have
> been new in the mid 80's. The problem now is wear and tear. I'm looking for links, hints, tips,
> advice on where I can find some old parts for this bike. It's a 15 speed and the rear gears are
> pretty worn, causing the chain to slip. I've been told that rear 5 gear cassettes (did I use the
> right term?) are next to non existent. Also the rear fork is so narrow that there's really no room
> to "fudge" anything.
>
> I really like this bike and would hate to have to scrap it. I know modifications can be done but
> I'm just not sure it would be very cost effective. Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!
>
> -gk-

In article <[email protected]>, "one of the six billion"
<[email protected]> writes:

> You don't have to upgrade anything. All you need is a new freewheel (or cassette) and a new
> chain. Try Harris Cyclery as someone else mentioned
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html . They have a Shimano uniglide freewheel
> listed at $19.95 and they have Suntour freewheels for $39.95.

The last 5-spd HyperGlide clone I bought (just over 2 years ago) cost all of $10. Likewise the new
PC-48 chain to go with it. 5 bux for the LBS guy to remove the old weirdo freewheel that I wanted to
replace (he only wanted to charge me 2 bux, but I was appreciative).

I wouldn't replace old 2-notch SunTour freewheels with the same thing -- because I absolutely
*detest* that freewheel- remover-killing, 2-notch configuration. HyperGlide splines are such a sweet
improvement. And HyperGlides are a little less obsolete, they're cheap enough, and are a lot more
available locally. SunTour, UniGlide and HyperGlide all screw just as well onto the same hub.
Getting them _off_ is an horse of a different colour. HyperGlides are so pleasantly easy to remove.

> So by the time you add up a chain, freewheel and either a freewheel tool or a shop to install it,
> it might cost a bit more than you'd like, but it's not really that bad, it's your bike, how could
> you live without it?

Exactly!

In the long run, there's no such thing as a free bike. Maybe even a cheap bike. Transportation
always costs money, whether in shoe leather, carfare, bicycle parts, or fuel.

cheers, Tom