Looking for pros & cons of tubing material...

Crystal

Guest
Hi all... tried google et al. with very limited success... For a research paper I am working on, I
am looking for websites listing pros and cons of bicycle tubing materials... Alum., Carbon, Ti,
Steel, Magnesium etc... I hope someone here may have a site that can help me out... Any help would
be appreciated...

Thanks AP

Here's a few, albeit bias, sources you can look to:

carbon Craig Calfee's technical white paper comparing carbon to other frame materials:
http://www.calfeedesign.com/Calfee_TWP.pdf Damon Rinard's website (housed at Sheldon Brown's
excellent website): http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/ ti habanero cycles (chinese made ti) tech
section: http://www.habcycles.com/techstuf.html (I would also go to Seven, litespeed, merlin and
spectrum-cycles for more on ti) steel Rivendell's website:
http://www.rivbike.com/html/101_framematerials.html
http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_rivendellframes.html

al - probably Easton's website...

Crystal wrote:
> Hi all... tried google et al. with very limited success... For a research paper I am working on, I
> am looking for websites listing pros and cons of bicycle tubing materials... Alum., Carbon, Ti,
> Steel, Magnesium etc... I hope someone here may have a site that can help me out... Any help would
> be appreciated...

I bookmarked these a while ago:

A good overview with an aluminium bias, comparing it to steel:
http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalInnovations/materials.html

Scientific bike testing by Germans: http://www.efbe.de/ehomepag.htm

Bicycle metallurgy: http://www.sjsu.edu/orgs/asmtms/artcle/articl.htm

I found all these using Google, without the need to try et and al...:)

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

"Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all... tried google et al. with very limited success... For a research paper I am working on, I
> am looking for websites listing pros and cons of bicycle tubing materials... Alum., Carbon, Ti,
> Steel, Magnesium etc... I hope someone here may have a site that can help me out... Any help would
> be appreciated...

Scot Nicol's primer on bike frame materials, about as good as you'll find:
http://www.sjsu.edu/orgs/asmtms/artcle/articl.htm

The whole topic has been worked to death, though. Most enthusiast cyclists discriminate among frame
materials much more than they can actually distinguish in riding them.

Chalo Colina