Looking for pros & cons of tubing material...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crystal, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    Hi all... tried google et al. with very limited success... For a research paper I am working on, I
    am looking for websites listing pros and cons of bicycle tubing materials... Alum., Carbon, Ti,
    Steel, Magnesium etc... I hope someone here may have a site that can help me out... Any help would
    be appreciated...

    Thanks AP

    Tags:

  2. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Here's a few, albeit bias, sources you can look to:

    carbon Craig Calfee's technical white paper comparing carbon to other frame materials:
    http://www.calfeedesign.com/Calfee_TWP.pdf Damon Rinard's website (housed at Sheldon Brown's
    excellent website): http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/ ti habanero cycles (chinese made ti) tech
    section: http://www.habcycles.com/techstuf.html (I would also go to Seven, litespeed, merlin and
    spectrum-cycles for more on ti) steel Rivendell's website:
    http://www.rivbike.com/html/101_framematerials.html
    http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_rivendellframes.html

    al - probably Easton's website...

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Hi all... tried google et al. with very limited success... For a research paper I am working on, I
    > am looking for websites listing pros and cons of bicycle tubing materials... Alum., Carbon, Ti,
    > Steel, Magnesium etc... I hope someone here may have a site that can help me out... Any help would
    be
    > appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks AP

  3. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Crystal wrote:
    > Hi all... tried google et al. with very limited success... For a research paper I am working on, I
    > am looking for websites listing pros and cons of bicycle tubing materials... Alum., Carbon, Ti,
    > Steel, Magnesium etc... I hope someone here may have a site that can help me out... Any help would
    > be appreciated...

    I bookmarked these a while ago:

    A good overview with an aluminium bias, comparing it to steel:
    http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalInnovations/materials.html

    Scientific bike testing by Germans: http://www.efbe.de/ehomepag.htm

    Bicycle metallurgy: http://www.sjsu.edu/orgs/asmtms/artcle/articl.htm

    I found all these using Google, without the need to try et and al...:)

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  4. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi all... tried google et al. with very limited success... For a research paper I am working on, I
    > am looking for websites listing pros and cons of bicycle tubing materials... Alum., Carbon, Ti,
    > Steel, Magnesium etc... I hope someone here may have a site that can help me out... Any help would
    > be appreciated...

    Scot Nicol's primer on bike frame materials, about as good as you'll find:
    http://www.sjsu.edu/orgs/asmtms/artcle/articl.htm

    The whole topic has been worked to death, though. Most enthusiast cyclists discriminate among frame
    materials much more than they can actually distinguish in riding them.

    Chalo Colina