Looking for punture proof tyres?

Davidm

Guest
I know there are often posts here for people wanting "puncture proof"
commuting tyres, so I thought I'd post my findings.

My commute to work is littered with broken glass, but also in dry weather
with "double-gee" seeds (I think you eastern staters call them "goat
heads"?). Anyway, between my wife and I, we were fixing a couple of
punctures a week, every week. That's until the Maxxis Re-fuse tyres we
recently got. Not a puncture in 6 weeks, and including me accidently riding
through a patch of doublegees last week and stopping to remove maybe 15 from
my tyre, and still no puncture. The wonder of kevlar belting!

Cons: they're not quite as fast as my Maxxis Detonator or my wife's Conti
Sport 1000 tyres, but our net speed has increased hugely through not having
to stop with flats. And they don;t seem to be available excpt in red or blue
in these parts.

Pros: foldable, and puncture resistance seems exceptional, and they seem to
have totally zero wear on the mag trainer... methinks they're gonna last for
ages. And they're available online from Ideal Cycles in Hilton, and are only
about $30 each.

Hope this helps for someone else...

Cheers
David M

Davidm wrote:
> I know there are often posts here for people wanting "puncture proof"
> commuting tyres, so I thought I'd post my findings.
>
> My commute to work is littered with broken glass, but also in dry weather
> with "double-gee" seeds (I think you eastern staters call them "goat
> heads"?). Anyway, between my wife and I, we were fixing a couple of
> punctures a week, every week. That's until the Maxxis Re-fuse tyres we
> recently got. Not a puncture in 6 weeks, and including me accidently riding
> through a patch of doublegees last week and stopping to remove maybe 15 from
> my tyre, and still no puncture. The wonder of kevlar belting!
>
> Cons: they're not quite as fast as my Maxxis Detonator or my wife's Conti
> Sport 1000 tyres, but our net speed has increased hugely through not having
> to stop with flats. And they don;t seem to be available excpt in red or blue
> in these parts.
>
> Pros: foldable, and puncture resistance seems exceptional, and they seem to
> have totally zero wear on the mag trainer... methinks they're gonna last for
> ages. And they're available online from Ideal Cycles in Hilton, and are only
> about $30 each.
>
> Hope this helps for someone else...
>
> Cheers
> David M

Greetings,
The offending thorns you have are known variously as doublegee,
goat's heads, cat's heads, three corner jack, bindy-eyes and
possibly others. They are common in many areas of Australia,
though not a native plant, and the bane of cyclists. Doublegee is
apparently a corruption of dueltgee, Afrikaans for Devil's Thorn,
which strikes me as appropriate.
There was an excellent article about them many years ago in the
old Freewheeling, perhaps you can ask Peter Sig to dig out and
post a copy.
Being in the easteren suburbs of Melbourne I do not normally run
into them around here, but have been in plenty of places that do
have them. You're welcome to them.
Regards,
Ray