Looking for ride suggestions in Phoenix, AZ area

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Patrick, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    How's the MTB scene around Phoenix? I'm planning to spend a week there in mid-April and I'd like to
    bring my bike along. Ideally I could find a few long-ish singletracks (15+ miles), preferrably loops
    as I've always hated out & back rides. Any recommendations are appreciated.

    Thanks!

    -Patrick

    Tags:

  2. Patrick wrote:
    > How's the MTB scene around Phoenix? I'm planning to spend a week there in mid-April and I'd like
    > to bring my bike along. Ideally I could find a few long-ish singletracks (15+ miles), preferrably
    > loops as I've always hated out & back rides. Any recommendations are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -Patrick

    South Mountain park, right in the city. If you can't bring your bike, check out these guys:
    http://smcycles.com/site/intro.cfm They hooked me up with an FSR elite for pretty damn cheap, and
    they even kept the shop open an extra 20-30 minutes so I could go pick it up. Very cool shop, very
    cool guys. And right down the road from south mountain!

    Jon Bond

  3. Patrick wrote:
    > How's the MTB scene around Phoenix? I'm planning to spend a week there in mid-April and I'd like
    > to bring my bike along. Ideally I could find a few long-ish singletracks (15+ miles), preferrably
    > loops as I've always hated out & back rides. Any recommendations are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -Patrick

    Oh yeah, and get this book, its fantastic (as is the author who was kind enough to show me around
    south mountain park a little bit)

    http://www.mountainbikearizona.com/mbaz/index.htm

    Jon Bond

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Patrick wrote:
    > > How's the MTB scene around Phoenix? I'm planning to spend a week there in mid-April and I'd like
    > > to bring my bike along. Ideally I could find a few long-ish singletracks (15+ miles),
    > > preferrably loops as I've always hated out & back rides. Any recommendations are appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > -Patrick
    >
    > South Mountain park, right in the city. If you can't bring your bike, check out these guys:
    > http://smcycles.com/site/intro.cfm They hooked me up with an FSR elite for pretty damn cheap, and
    > they even kept the shop open an extra 20-30 minutes so I could go pick it up. Very cool shop, very
    > cool guys. And right down the road from south mountain!
    >
    > Jon Bond

    And if you do bring your bike get the rims drilled for schrader valves and slime your tubes! There
    is a great deal of riding in Phoenix and as Jon mentioned some fine bike shops who are very
    knowledgable about the local rides. Have fun the riding there is amazing if you've never been in a
    desert before.

    Mike

  5. Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Patrick wrote:
    >>
    >>>How's the MTB scene around Phoenix? I'm planning to spend a week there in mid-April and I'd like
    >>>to bring my bike along. Ideally I could find a few long-ish singletracks (15+ miles), preferrably
    >>>loops as I've always hated out & back rides. Any recommendations are appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>
    >>>-Patrick
    >>
    >>South Mountain park, right in the city. If you can't bring your bike, check out these guys:
    >>http://smcycles.com/site/intro.cfm They hooked me up with an FSR elite for pretty damn cheap, and
    >>they even kept the shop open an extra 20-30 minutes so I could go pick it up. Very cool shop, very
    >>cool guys. And right down the road from south mountain!
    >>
    >>Jon Bond
    >>

    > And if you do bring your bike get the rims drilled for schrader valves and slime your tubes! There
    > is a great deal of riding in Phoenix and as Jon mentioned some fine bike shops who are very
    > knowledgable about the local rides. Have fun the riding there is amazing if you've never been in a
    > desert before.
    >
    > Mike

    Yeah, most definitely slime those tubes up, and bring an extra tube or two as well. Don't forget
    massive quantities of water, even when its not hot the air is extremely dry and can dehydrate you
    faster than you think!

    Jon Bond

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > | And if you do bring your bike get the rims drilled for schrader valves
    and
    > | slime your tubes!
    >
    > Whatever for?
    >
    > --
    > Pete "no slime, presta" Fagerlin

    I guess I assumed you had to by the industrial sized drums of the stuff in every LBS out there. Of
    course it still didn't stop me from getting the flat from hell in Sedona. It's a long walk down from
    Chicken Point back to the Bike and Bean!

    Mike - I rented a bike and it's tubes were slimed.

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 02:06:43 GMT, Jonathan Bond wrote:

    > Yeah, most definitely slime those tubes up, and bring an extra tube or two as well. Don't forget
    > massive quantities of water, even when its not hot the air is extremely dry and can dehydrate you
    > faster than you think!

    I've ridden South Mountain a half-dozen times or so (everytime I could!) and never gotten a flat
    there. But I always have the tube & patch kit, just like any other ride.

  8. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >| And if you do bring your bike get the rims drilled for schrader valves and slime your tubes!
    >
    >Whatever for?

    Yeah, what he said. True, it's not that uncommon to catch a thorn, but it's by far the exception (at
    least on National and Mormon and the trail on the northeast side like Javelina).

    Besides, who wants all the extra weight of that nasty big car-tire-wannabee valve spinning
    around? ;-)

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >| And if you do bring your bike get the rims drilled for schrader valves
    and
    > >| slime your tubes!
    > >
    > >Whatever for?
    >
    > Yeah, what he said. True, it's not that uncommon to catch a thorn, but it's by far the exception
    > (at least on National and Mormon and the trail on the northeast side like Javelina).
    >
    > Besides, who wants all the extra weight of that nasty big car-tire-wannabee valve spinning
    > around? ;-)

    Well then I'll kindly defer to Pete and Mark. Like I said I was impressed with the drums of Slime in
    the shops and the proliferation of spines, thorns and stickers along the trail. It's not something
    we have back East. ;^)

    Mike

  10. Paul Beakley

    Paul Beakley Guest

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 01:25:17 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Patrick wrote:
    >> How's the MTB scene around Phoenix? I'm planning to spend a week there in mid-April and I'd like
    >> to bring my bike along. Ideally I could find a few long-ish singletracks (15+ miles), preferrably
    >> loops as I've always hated out & back rides. Any recommendations are appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> -Patrick
    >
    >Oh yeah, and get this book, its fantastic (as is the author who was kind enough to show me around
    >south mountain park a little bit)
    >
    >http://www.mountainbikearizona.com/mbaz/index.htm
    >
    >Jon Bond

    Yeah, what he said. ;-)

    p.

    Outside America: Mountain Bike America -- Arizona Guidebook available at bike shops, bookstores,
    and online
    (480) 756-2460 | (602) 370-7107 cell http://www.mountainbikearizona.com

  11. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Yeah, what he said. True, it's not that uncommon to catch a thorn, but it's by far the exception
    >> (at least on National and Mormon and the trail on the northeast side like Javelina).
    >
    >Well then I'll kindly defer to Pete and Mark. Like I said I was impressed with the drums of Slime
    >in the shops and the proliferation of spines, thorns and stickers along the trail. It's not
    >something we have back East. ;^)

    Well, don't ride through those things! ;-)

  12. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> Yeah, what he said. True, it's not that uncommon to catch a thorn, but it's by far the
    > >> exception (at least on National and Mormon and the trail on the northeast side like Javelina).
    > >
    > >Well then I'll kindly defer to Pete and Mark. Like I said I was
    impressed
    > >with the drums of Slime in the shops and the proliferation of spines,
    thorns
    > >and stickers along the trail. It's not something we have back East. ;^)
    >
    > Well, don't ride through those things! ;-)

    "Hey Doc...It hurt's when I do this..." ;^)

    Mike