Looking for shin/knee pads

Status

Rich

Guest
I'm having a hard time finding a set of shin/knee pads. Right now I'm using the softish 661 shin
guards and have been happy with comfort and protection, but they are a bit warm for summer use. The
matching knee pads are really hot and bulky (barely used, size large, for sale cheap if you want em)
for summer use although they fit the bill for winter riding.

I've been shopping for a set of the all in one style that are either extremely breathable or open in
the back (i don't hit my calfs all that much). Most pads are either bulky and overly protective for
my kneeds (ha), or cheaply made and uncomfy.

Who can lead my shins/knees to protective nirvana?

goals: -Moderate protection -Comfortable to wear for 4+ hours -Breathable for summer use -Low
profile (to wear under pants) -Protection from just above shoe line to mid knee, no calf
coverage necessary

Rich <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16709
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Technician wrote:

> Rich <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>
>>I'm having a hard time finding a set of shin/knee pads. Right now I'm using the softish 661 shin
>>guards and have been happy with comfort and protection, but they are a bit warm for summer use.
>>The matching knee pads are really hot and bulky (barely used, size large, for sale cheap if you
>>want em) for summer use although they fit the bill for winter riding.
>>
>>I've been shopping for a set of the all in one style that are either extremely breathable or open
>>in the back (i don't hit my calfs all that much). Most pads are either bulky and overly protective
>>for my kneeds (ha), or cheaply made and uncomfy.
>>
>>Who can lead my shins/knees to protective nirvana?
>>
>>goals: -Moderate protection -Comfortable to wear for 4+ hours -Breathable for summer use -Low
>>profile (to wear under pants) -Protection from just above shoe line to mid knee, no calf coverage
>>necessary
>>

> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16709

Those look pretty good. Have you tried em? In the photo it looks like they go pretty high past the
knee, I'd be a little worried about restricting movement. I've never been dissatisfied with a fox
product though.

Rich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm having a hard time finding a set of shin/knee pads. Right now I'm using the softish 661 shin
> guards and have been happy with comfort and protection, but they are a bit warm for summer use.
> The matching knee pads are really hot and bulky (barely used, size large, for sale cheap if you
> want em) for summer use although they fit the bill for winter riding.
>
> I've been shopping for a set of the all in one style that are either extremely breathable or open
> in the back (i don't hit my calfs all that much). Most pads are either bulky and overly protective
> for my kneeds (ha), or cheaply made and uncomfy.
>
> Who can lead my shins/knees to protective nirvana?
>
> goals: -Moderate protection -Comfortable to wear for 4+ hours -Breathable for summer use -Low
> profile (to wear under pants) -Protection from just above shoe line to mid knee, no calf coverage
> necessary

Some of the downhill geeks may have their own favorites, but my friend Sam, a new products seller on
ebay, [email protected] has O'Neal and Azonic and occasionally Lizard Skins stuff for sale, new
and cheap. I like everything Azonic makes, and have the knee/shin combo. It's hot, a tad
restrictive, not really fun to wear, but I doubt anything worth saving your knees on will be all
that comfortable. I also have Lizard Skins for elbows/forearms, and they are pretty comfortable, but
don't provide a real high degree of protection.

My buddies have Daines or Fox, and swear by them. Keep asking around. and then try them off first
if you can.

Paladin

Rich wrote:

> Who can lead my shins/knees to protective nirvana?
>
> goals: -Moderate protection -Comfortable to wear for 4+ hours -Breathable for summer use -Low
> profile (to wear under pants) -Protection from just above shoe line to mid knee, no calf coverage
> necessary

Soft neoprene stuff is just ****. It makes you sweat loads and if you fall off, most of the time, it
just rolls up or down (mainly down on the knees) and thus offering you not much more protection.
Take a hint from the DHers and go with some Dainese protection - hard shell for decent coverage, a
'netting' enclosure for maximum ventilation and they'll easily fit under any pants or tights:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300003307
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300003306

Of course, you could just stop being a ***** and take the hits like the rest of us...

Paladin wrote:

> I also have Lizard Skins for elbows/forearms, and they are pretty comfortable, but don't provide
> a real high degree of protection.

Lizard Skins - blech. I had some knee-shin combos and they were rubbish.

> My buddies have Daines or Fox, and swear by them. Keep asking around. and then try them off first
> if you can.

The problem with the top-of-the-line Fox Raptors is that they only come in one size. Nice, but make
sure you try before you buy.

bomba wrote:

> Of course, you could just stop being a ***** and take the hits like the rest of us...

Maybe if I had my own suture kit at home:) My platforms have set screws for pegs and those puppies
slice open anything they touch. Even the soles of my shoes get marked up pretty good.

Rich <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Technician wrote:
> > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16709
>
> Those look pretty good. Have you tried em? In the photo it looks like they go pretty high past the
> knee, I'd be a little worried about restricting movement. I've never been dissatisfied with a fox
> product though.

Nah, just did a search on performancebike.com, i think i have heard mention of somebody here using
them, or something similar, but can't remember who.

I figure, any guard is going to restrict movement and bind a little, hence why you don't see many XC
riders wearing them.
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having a hard time finding a set of shin/knee pads. Right now I'm using the softish 661 shin
> guards and have been happy with comfort and protection, but they are a bit warm for summer use.
> The matching knee pads are really hot and bulky (barely used, size large, for sale cheap if you
> want em) for summer use although they fit the bill for winter
riding.

> I've been shopping for a set of the all in one style that are either extremely breathable or open
> in the back (i don't hit my calfs all that much). Most pads are either bulky and overly protective
> for my kneeds (ha), or cheaply made and uncomfy.
>
> Who can lead my shins/knees to protective nirvana?
>
> goals: -Moderate protection -Comfortable to wear for 4+ hours -Breathable for summer use -Low
> profile (to wear under pants) -Protection from just above shoe line to mid knee, no calf coverage
> necessary

I got Dianese freestyle thinking that they'd be excellent as they clip on without needing to take
shoes off etc, and they're a little shorter than the full pro ones, so I thought they'd be better
for a part-time solution (I.e. ride up hill without, put on and ride back down trail). But, I've
been really disappointed in how they slide back down the leg. I'm 6' and 14.5 stone so not small,
but the L/XL size seems too loose around the straps, whilst the leg length is just right. This means
that they expose my knee altogether too easily I feel. So, recommendations would be to try before
you buy, I guess.

Regards, AndyC

Two words Bombshell BMX they are a slip on type and are mesh in the back.

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

bomba wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>
>>> Of course, you could just stop being a ***** and take the hits like the rest of us...
>>>
>> Maybe if I had my own suture kit at home:) My platforms have set screws for pegs and those
>> puppies slice open anything they touch. Even the soles of my shoes get marked up pretty good.
>

> And your point is...? :)
>
> http://www.j-harris.net/bike/misc/shin2.jpg

And in all seriousness, you don't get sick of that? I find myself bashing my shinguards every other
ride or so. I figure each hit is worth about $10 in avoidance of annoyance. Only prob is that the
hits seem to have moved up to my knees now:(

Rich wrote:

>> And your point is...? :)
>>
>> http://www.j-harris.net/bike/misc/shin2.jpg
>>
> And in all seriousness, you don't get sick of that?

Not really. That was the first time I'd smacked my shin in about three or four years, and that was
chucking the bmx several feet out of a half pipe - not your average XC ride.

I find myself
> bashing my shinguards every other ride or so.

How do you manage to do that? Seriously, even with platforms, that's a lot.

I figure each hit is
> worth about $10 in avoidance of annoyance. Only prob is that the hits seem to have moved up to my
> knees now:(

Fair enough, if you're smacking your legs that regularly, invest away.

bomba wrote:

>> bashing my shinguards every other ride or so.
>

> How do you manage to do that? Seriously, even with platforms, that's a lot.

Well I've found that I risk it more when I'm wearing pads, so I guess the solution has caused the
problem to a certian extent. Been working on pedal kicks (not very pretty at the moment) and that
has really bumped up the hit count.

Rich thoughtfully penned:
> bomba wrote:

>>> Maybe if I had my own suture kit at home:) My platforms have set screws for pegs and those
>>> puppies slice open anything they touch. Even the soles of my shoes get marked up pretty good.
>>

>> And your point is...? :)
>>
>> http://www.j-harris.net/bike/misc/shin2.jpg
>>
> And in all seriousness, you don't get sick of that? I find myself bashing my shinguards every
> other ride or so. I figure each hit is worth about $10 in avoidance of annoyance. Only prob is
> that the hits seem to have moved up to my knees now:(

clips would fix that problem too ya know.

Penny

Rich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm having a hard time finding a set of shin/knee pads.<snip>

Call George Lucas and see if he'll part with a Star Wars Stormtrooper outfit. If you encase yourself
in plastic, you may as well go all of the way.

JD

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having a hard time finding a set of shin/knee pads. <snip> goals: -Moderate protection
> -Comfortable to wear for 4+ hours -Breathable for summer use -Low profile (to wear under pants)
> -Protection from just above shoe line to mid knee, no calf coverage necessary

all the guys including me at my store wear roach shinguards. they get a bit toasty though

Cam

Cam says:

>all the guys including me at my store wear roach shinguards. they get a bit toasty though

Then stop wearing them around the store, FFS. Sheesh!! ;-P

Steve

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:24:23 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>
>> Who can lead my shins/knees to protective nirvana?
>>
>> goals: -Moderate protection -Comfortable to wear for 4+ hours -Breathable for summer use -Low
>> profile (to wear under pants) -Protection from just above shoe line to mid knee, no calf coverage
>> necessary
>
>Soft neoprene stuff is just ****. It makes you sweat loads and if you fall off, most of the time,
>it just rolls up or down (mainly down on the knees) and thus offering you not much more protection.
>Take a hint from the DHers and go with some Dainese protection - hard shell for decent coverage, a
>'netting' enclosure for maximum ventilation and they'll easily fit under any pants or tights:
>http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300003307
>http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300003306
>
>Of course, you could just stop being a ***** and take the hits like the rest of us...

Whatever. I fell The other day at Windridge on some serious off camber rocks, and hit my Fox
protected knee against a rather large out crop of rock so hard I heard a loud "CRACK" and after
tumbiling over and jumping back to my feet, I look down and notice I cracked the top edge of the
hard shell outer on my Fox 911 knee combo. Now if I didn't have that pad on, my knee would have
shattered like glass, and no riding, no working to pay my mortgage, no chasing the kids around the
house, no nothing. Thanks just the same tough guy, I'll keep the armor.

Dave (I WAS immediatly convinced!)

Status
Not open for further replies.