Looking for shin/knee pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 17 Jun 2003 10:14:21 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>Rich <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> I'm having a hard time finding a set of shin/knee pads.<snip>
>
>Call George Lucas and see if he'll part with a Star Wars Stormtrooper outfit. If you encase
>yourself in plastic, you may as well go all of the way.
>
>JD

I like it! Can I tell him Chewwie sent me?

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 17 Jun 2003 10:14:21 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
>
> >Rich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> I'm having a hard time finding a set of shin/knee pads.<snip>
> >
> >Call George Lucas and see if he'll part with a Star Wars Stormtrooper outfit. If you encase
> >yourself in plastic, you may as well go all of the way.
> >
> >JD
>
> I like it! Can I tell him Chewwie sent me?

Dave - that has just gotta be the funniest damned thing you've ever said in this news group,
heheheheheheh.........

Shaun aRe

Dave W wrote:

>>Of course, you could just stop being a ***** and take the hits like the rest of us...
>

> Whatever. I fell The other day at Windridge on some serious off camber rocks, and hit my Fox
> protected knee against a rather large out crop of rock so hard I heard a loud "CRACK" and after
> tumbiling over and jumping back to my feet, I look down and notice I cracked the top edge of the
> hard shell outer on my Fox 911 knee combo. Now if I didn't have that pad on, my knee would have
> shattered like glass, and no riding, no working to pay my mortgage, no chasing the kids around the
> house, no nothing. Thanks just the same tough guy, I'll keep the armor.

Firstly, I'm glad that your knee pads worked in the manner that they were supposed to :)

You've raised a couple of good points. Firstly, I was referring to normal XC riding and the
occasional whack in the shins you get from the pedals. If your normal riding takes you across
'serious off camber rocks', and other dangerous technical sections, on which you're likely to fall
off then you certainly need to consider your options.

If your outside life is that important, then you should take the safe way out and walk it anyway.
Who's to say you won't fall off and crack your shoulder? What if you'd landed on that rock with the
palm of your hand? Mountain biking has inherent risks, and if those risks bother you that much then
you shouldn't do it, or you should walk the bits you're not confident on.

Would you have ridden that section if you hadn't been padded up? I don't have a problem with armour
per se, but what I do have a problem is that it often skews peoples' perceptions of their own limits
and abilities. Rather than being there as protection in your normal riding, armour can give you a
sense of invulnerability and tempt you to try things that you have no business trying.

bomba wrote:

> Dave W wrote:
>
>>> Of course, you could just stop being a ***** and take the hits like the rest of us...
>>

>> Whatever. I fell The other day at Windridge on some serious off camber rocks, and hit my Fox
>> protected knee against a rather large out crop of rock so hard I heard a loud "CRACK" and after
>> tumbiling over and jumping back to my feet, I look down and notice I cracked the top edge of the
>> hard shell outer on my Fox 911 knee combo. Now if I didn't have that pad on, my knee would have
>> shattered like glass, and no riding, no working to pay my mortgage, no chasing the kids around
>> the house, no nothing. Thanks just the same tough guy, I'll keep the armor.
>

> Firstly, I'm glad that your knee pads worked in the manner that they were supposed to :)
>
> You've raised a couple of good points. Firstly, I was referring to normal XC riding and the
> occasional whack in the shins you get from the pedals. If your normal riding takes you across
> 'serious off camber rocks', and other dangerous technical sections, on which you're likely to fall
> off then you certainly need to consider your options.

Who does normal XC riding? That's just boring:) And at any rate I can't ever remember seing someone
XCing on a pair of real platforms. Maybe those plastic beginner pedals that they start you off with,
but most folks quickly shift to clipless.

> Would you have ridden that section if you hadn't been padded up? I don't have a problem with
> armour per se, but what I do have a problem is that it often skews peoples' perceptions of
> their own limits and abilities. Rather than being there as protection in your normal riding,
> armour can give you a sense of invulnerability and tempt you to try things that you have no
> business trying.

When I'm wearing armor it does indeed bump up the level of what I will attempt. Nothing wrong with
that, isn't that part of the reason to use armor, to artifically accellerate learning?

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> bomba wrote:

> >> Whatever. I fell The other day at Windridge on some serious off camber rocks, and hit my Fox
> >> protected knee against a rather large out crop of rock so hard I heard a loud "CRACK" and after
> >> tumbiling over and jumping back to my feet, I look down and notice I cracked the top edge of
> >> the hard shell outer on my Fox 911 knee combo. Now if I didn't have that pad on, my knee would
> >> have shattered like glass, and no riding, no working to pay my mortgage, no chasing the kids
> >> around the house, no nothing. Thanks just the same tough guy, I'll keep the armor.
> >

> > Firstly, I'm glad that your knee pads worked in the manner that they were supposed to :)
> >
> > You've raised a couple of good points. Firstly, I was referring to normal XC riding and the
> > occasional whack in the shins you get from the pedals. If your normal riding takes you across
> > 'serious off camber rocks', and other dangerous technical sections, on which you're likely to
> > fall off then you certainly need to consider your options.
> >
> Who does normal XC riding? That's just boring:) And at any rate I can't ever remember seing
> someone XCing on a pair of real platforms. Maybe those plastic beginner pedals that they start you
> off with, but most folks quickly shift to clipless.

Ahem. Oi, Coooeeee over here .....

Steve E.

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>bomba wrote:

>>>Firstly, I'm glad that your knee pads worked in the manner that they were supposed to :)
>>>
>>>You've raised a couple of good points. Firstly, I was referring to normal XC riding and the
>>>occasional whack in the shins you get from the pedals. If your normal riding takes you across
>>>'serious off camber rocks', and other dangerous technical sections, on which you're likely to
>>>fall off then you certainly need to consider your options.
>>>

>>Who does normal XC riding? That's just boring:) And at any rate I can't ever remember seing
>>someone XCing on a pair of real platforms. Maybe those plastic beginner pedals that they start you
>>off with, but most folks quickly shift to clipless.
>

> Ahem. Oi, Coooeeee over here .....
>
> Steve E.

Uh oh, I must need coffee. I don't get it.

Rich wrote:

>> You've raised a couple of good points. Firstly, I was referring to normal XC riding and the
>> occasional whack in the shins you get from the pedals. If your normal riding takes you across
>> 'serious off camber rocks', and other dangerous technical sections, on which you're likely to
>> fall off then you certainly need to consider your options.
>>
> Who does normal XC riding?

Pretty much everybody here, for starters.

> That's just boring:)

Boring as opposed to what?

> And at any rate I can't ever remember seing someone XCing on a pair of real platforms.

Oh dear...

>> don't have a problem with armour per se, but what I do have a problem is that it often skews
>> peoples' perceptions of their own limits and abilities. Rather than being there as protection in
>> your normal riding, armour can give you a sense of invulnerability and tempt you to try things
>> that you have no business trying.
>>
> When I'm wearing armor it does indeed bump up the level of what I will attempt. Nothing wrong with
> that, isn't that part of the reason to use armor, to artifically accellerate learning?

Re-read what I wrote. I'm not talking about faster progression, I'm talking about going beyond
your limits.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:33:11 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave W wrote:
>
>>>Of course, you could just stop being a ***** and take the hits like the rest of us...
>>

>> Whatever. I fell The other day at Windridge on some serious off camber rocks, and hit my Fox
>> protected knee against a rather large out crop of rock so hard I heard a loud "CRACK" and after
>> tumbiling over and jumping back to my feet, I look down and notice I cracked the top edge of the
>> hard shell outer on my Fox 911 knee combo. Now if I didn't have that pad on, my knee would have
>> shattered like glass, and no riding, no working to pay my mortgage, no chasing the kids around
>> the house, no nothing. Thanks just the same tough guy, I'll keep the armor.
>
>Firstly, I'm glad that your knee pads worked in the manner that they were supposed to :)

As am I?

>You've raised a couple of good points. Firstly, I was referring to normal XC riding and the
>occasional whack in the shins you get from the pedals.

Windridge is a normal XC course, I took a line that I had no business taking, there was another,
more sedate line that I normally take, but it was feeling good to me this day, and I thought I'd
give it a shot. You know how it goes.

If your normal riding takes you across 'serious off camber
>rocks', and other dangerous technical sections, on which you're likely to fall off then you
>certainly need to consider your options.

I simply decided to try the harder line. I wasn't ready, I paid for it by flying off the bike, my
knee DID NOT make the payment!

>If your outside life is that important,

Who am I? Bender or someone of that ilk?

then you should take the safe
>way out and walk it anyway. Who's to say you won't fall off and crack your shoulder? What if you'd
>landed on that rock with the palm of your hand? Mountain biking has inherent risks, and if those
>risks bother you that much then you shouldn't do it, or you should walk the bits you're not
>confident on.

They don't bother me that much, I thought I could handle the line, I was wrong, but not in a
painful way!! ;-)

>Would you have ridden that section if you hadn't been padded up?

Truthfully I didn't think of it like that at the time, my speed kinda forced me into that line. I
just went with it. Remember kids, SPEED KILLS! Or at least mames!

>don't have a problem with armour per se, but what I do have a problem is that it often skews
>peoples' perceptions of their own limits and abilities. Rather than being there as protection in
>your normal riding, armour can give you a sense of invulnerability and tempt you to try things that
>you have no business trying.

Tis true, but have you ever tried using it? If not than yours is an opinion based on observation,
and not usage. Having ridden without it for my first few years back on the bike, I felt the need
after numerous cuts and abrasions from my learning curve. In all actuality, I haven't fell that much
since purchasing the set for, like 35.00 (elbow and shin too!) Also I ride platform pedals, and have
YET get any shin rash as a result. Now one could say that my bravado level may have increased, but I
like to think my skills have improved at least a little bit too! :)

And I'm still not trying some of that crazy D/H **** they s/u over at Windridge. My armour doesn't
give me those kind of balls. ;-)

Dave (but at least I don't have a cracked knee!)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:16:09 -0500, Rich <[email protected]> wrote:

>bomba wrote:

>>> Whatever. I fell The other day at Windridge on some serious off camber rocks, and hit my Fox
>>> protected knee against a rather large out crop of rock so hard I heard a loud "CRACK" and after
>>> tumbiling over and jumping back to my feet, I look down and notice I cracked the top edge of the
>>> hard shell outer on my Fox 911 knee combo. Now if I didn't have that pad on, my knee would have
>>> shattered like glass, and no riding, no working to pay my mortgage, no chasing the kids around
>>> the house, no nothing. Thanks just the same tough guy, I'll keep the armor.
>>

>> Firstly, I'm glad that your knee pads worked in the manner that they were supposed to :)
>>
>> You've raised a couple of good points. Firstly, I was referring to normal XC riding and the
>> occasional whack in the shins you get from the pedals. If your normal riding takes you across
>> 'serious off camber rocks', and other dangerous technical sections, on which you're likely to
>> fall off then you certainly need to consider your options.
>>
>Who does normal XC riding? That's just boring:) And at any rate I can't ever remember seing someone
>XCing on a pair of real platforms. Maybe those plastic beginner pedals that they start you off
>with, but most folks quickly shift to clipless.

Hey now! I do mainly just PLAIN OL' XCing, thank you very much, but sprinkled with jumps, water
bars, roots etc, etc. Plus my ol' BMX skills of being able to bunnyhop with flats have served me
well. I don't race, don't worry about maintaining any set cadence, so I haven't seen the need to go
clipless, YET!

> > Would you have ridden that section if you hadn't been padded up? I
>> don't have a problem with armour per se, but what I do have a problem is that it often skews
>> peoples' perceptions of their own limits and abilities. Rather than being there as protection in
>> your normal riding, armour can give you a sense of invulnerability and tempt you to try things
>> that you have no business trying.
>>
>When I'm wearing armor it does indeed bump up the level of what I will attempt. Nothing wrong with
>that, isn't that part of the reason to use armor, to artifically accellerate learning?

For some, my needs where a little more basic than that. I was just tired of bangs and dents....

Rich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Who does normal XC riding? That's just boring:) And at any rate I can't ever remember seing
> someone XCing on a pair of real platforms. Maybe those plastic beginner pedals that they start you
> off with, but most folks quickly shift to clipless.

Where the hell did this tool come from? Normalcy differs, which is why many may see you as a
normal tool.

> When I'm wearing armor it does indeed bump up the level of what I will attempt. Nothing wrong with
> that, isn't that part of the reason to use armor, to artifically accellerate learning?

What a chump. My bet is that you are one of those out of control skidiots that jacks up trails and
makes up for their complete lack of skill with suspension and dressing to crash. How about if you
artificially ********?

JD

JD wrote:
> Rich <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Who does normal XC riding? That's just boring:) And at any rate I can't ever remember seing
>>someone XCing on a pair of real platforms. Maybe those plastic beginner pedals that they start you
>>off with, but most folks quickly shift to clipless.
>

> Where the hell did this tool come from? Normalcy differs, which is why many may see you as a
> normal tool.
>

>>When I'm wearing armor it does indeed bump up the level of what I will attempt. Nothing wrong with
>>that, isn't that part of the reason to use armor, to artifically accellerate learning?
>

> What a chump. My bet is that you are one of those out of control skidiots that jacks up trails and
> makes up for their complete lack of skill with suspension and dressing to crash. How about if you
> artificially ********?
>
> JD
How so sweet, are you this nice to everyone? You sound so cuddly.

> Cam says:
>
> >all the guys including me at my store wear roach shinguards. they get a
bit
> >toasty though
> >

> Then stop wearing them around the store, FFS. Sheesh!! ;-P
>
> Steve

jerk, you know what i mean..it was funny though

Cam

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cam says:
>
> >jerk
>
> Yup!
>
> >you know what i mean
>
> Ah-huh!
>
> >it was funny though
>
> Thanks - we try. Anyway, Shaun wasn't here to do it for me, and someone
has to
> fill in for the boy now he's ****-over-*** in lurve......

Shaun aRe

> Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Cam says:
> >
> > >jerk
> >
> > Yup!
> >
> > >you know what i mean
> >
> > Ah-huh!
> >
> > >it was funny though
> >
> > Thanks - we try. Anyway, Shaun wasn't here to do it for me, and someone
> has to
> > fill in for the boy now he's ****-over-*** in lurve......

ahh, I can see why your missus fell for you shaun, you have such a charming way with words.

Steve E.

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Cam says:

> > > Yup!

> > > Ah-huh!

> > > Thanks - we try. Anyway, Shaun wasn't here to do it for me, and
someone
> > has to
> > > fill in for the boy now he's ****-over-*** in lurve......
> >

> ahh, I can see why your missus fell for you shaun, you have such a
charming
> way with words.

I do don't I! Some days, I can charm the birds from the trees I can....other days they get knocked
down.......heheheh...........ahem.

Shaun aRe - God Bless America! (And all that ****).

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JD wrote:
> > Rich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>Who does normal XC riding? That's just boring:) And at any rate I can't ever remember seing
> >>someone XCing on a pair of real platforms. Maybe those plastic beginner pedals that they start
> >>you off with, but most folks quickly shift to clipless.
> >

> > Where the hell did this tool come from? Normalcy differs, which is why many may see you as a
> > normal tool.
> >

> >>When I'm wearing armor it does indeed bump up the level of what I will attempt. Nothing wrong
> >>with that, isn't that part of the reason to use armor, to artifically accellerate learning?
> >

> > What a chump. My bet is that you are one of those out of control skidiots that jacks up trails
> > and makes up for their complete lack of skill with suspension and dressing to crash. How about
> > if you artificially ********?
> >
> > JD
> How so sweet, are you this nice to everyone? You sound so cuddly.

Are you new here? You must be or you wouldn't be asking this question. :) Welcome.

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun R says:
>

> hehehehe......

Glad ya gotz yerself a giggle there Stevie ',;~}~

> It must be love if he's taking it _that_ personally.

That you with the sarcasm again, or are ya really that daft to believe that? Heheheheh.........

> Regards to Kath, BTW - tell her she's doing us all a favour. ;-P

I can't for the life of me figure out WTF you mean by that?!?!? Heheheh.......

> Steve

Later, BoatBoy!

Shaun aRe

[email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Shaun R says:
>

> hehehehe...... It must be love if he's taking it _that_ personally. Regards to Kath, BTW - tell
> her she's doing us all a favour. ;-P
>
> Steve

By protecting the regional wildlife and children?? hehehe

Paladin Marriage makes you less of a risk to sheep, eh?

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Shaun R says:
> >

> > hehehehe...... It must be love if he's taking it _that_ personally. Regards to Kath,
BTW -
> > tell her she's doing us all a favour. ;-P
> >
> > Steve
>
> By protecting the regional wildlife and children?? hehehe

I tread more lightly on the grass these days.....

> Paladin Marriage makes you less of a risk to sheep, eh?

We have alpacas (sp?) in a field 10 minutes away, along with some strange, Mongolian looking small
black sheep. The sheep are tough, but they have learned to run.

Shaun aRe