Looking for shoes and pedals(road) Sidi/Speedplay

chris c

Guest
I am looking for a clipless system. I was wondering what are some good ones.
I was talking to a local shop. Told the guy I had a knee problem and that it
gets sore after 20 or more miles of riding sometimes. He said the speedplays
allow more movement (float) than the others and they would probably be
better for me. Why the big difference in price though? The titanium are
around $280 and their cheapest ones are around $115. I assume the more $ are
made better , but how? Better bearings? Do the titaniums last forever? They
are lighter, but I don't see them being worth the extra $.

Also looking at the Sidi shoes? These are supposed to be good shoes. What is
the big difference between the Sidi Genius 5 Lorica which is over $200 and
the Sidi Genius 4 Mega Lorica for about $80 besides the top strap? What
about carbon shoes? Are you just getting weight savings there? Thanks a lot.
Sorry for all the questions.

chris c wrote:
> I am looking for a clipless system. I was wondering what are some good ones.
> I was talking to a local shop. Told the guy I had a knee problem and that it
> gets sore after 20 or more miles of riding sometimes. He said the speedplays
> allow more movement (float) than the others and they would probably be
> better for me.

The Crank Bros. pedals also allow for a lot of float, are light, and
have an incredibly simple --low/easy maintenance design. You can also
get the lower end models for between 100 USD (normal) or as low at 50
USD on sale. They have an SPD hole patter with means you can get cleats
(Crank Bros. specific) for road or mountain shoes.

> Why the big difference in price though? The titanium are
> around $280 and their cheapest ones are around $115. I assume the more $ are
> made better , but how? Better bearings? Do the titaniums last forever? They
> are lighter, but I don't see them being worth the extra $.

Probably not worth it for you, or most people for that matter. The Ti
pedals will be light and possible made better. But it won't be anything
you'll notice with the miles you seem to be putting in.

> Also looking at the Sidi shoes? These are supposed to be good shoes. What is
> the big difference between the Sidi Genius 5 Lorica which is over $200 and
> the Sidi Genius 4 Mega Lorica for about $80 besides the top strap? What
> about carbon shoes? Are you just getting weight savings there? Thanks a lot.
> Sorry for all the questions.

Don't know about specific Sidi models, but weight at and stiffness are
what make a road shoe good. Comfort with obviously be a highly
personal, but the most important thing when considering shoes. Carbon
shoes, imho, are rather silly. In that case, though, they are quite
light and very stiff.

I ride mostly for transportation around Atlanta. I use Crank Bros.
Eggbeaters (lower-end model) on Shimano mountain shoes. Fairly comfy
and the 4-sided entry/exit is very easy compared to clips and straps --
it got tested on a failed attempt at a trackstand on gravel. CB also
makes road specific pedals with a larger contact platform. As of now, I
don't feel this is necessary though. The pedals are still very high
quality and quite light. The set-up also works well for me when I'm
doing the whole roadie thing from time to time.

hth
\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

chris c wrote:
> I am looking for a clipless system. I was wondering what are some good ones.
> I was talking to a local shop. Told the guy I had a knee problem and that it
> gets sore after 20 or more miles of riding sometimes. He said the speedplays
> allow more movement (float) than the others and they would probably be
> better for me. Why the big difference in price though? The titanium are
> around $280 and their cheapest ones are around $115. I assume the more $ are
> made better , but how? Better bearings? Do the titaniums last forever? They
> are lighter, but I don't see them being worth the extra $.
>
> Also looking at the Sidi shoes? These are supposed to be good shoes. What is
> the big difference between the Sidi Genius 5 Lorica which is over $200 and
> the Sidi Genius 4 Mega Lorica for about $80 besides the top strap? What
> about carbon shoes? Are you just getting weight savings there? Thanks a lot.
> Sorry for all the questions.

There are many (most?) knee problems that have nothing to do with float.
For many people (most?) initial pedal (cleat, actually) set up is more
important than float.

Before spending big money on an esoteric pedal, you might try a $30 pair
of SPD pedals & see how it goes.

As for shoes, Sidis are nice (I have 3 pairs), but some almost-as-nice
shoes can be had for a lot less money. The real beauty of Sidi shoes is
durability -- at least that's been my experience. Don't let the bike
shop guy sell you too-small shoes as they so often want to do.

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 04:36:05 GMT, chris c wrote:

> I am looking for a clipless system. I was wondering what are some good ones.
> I was talking to a local shop. Told the guy I had a knee problem and that it
> gets sore after 20 or more miles of riding sometimes. He said the speedplays
> allow more movement (float) than the others and they would probably be
> better for me.

IME most people don't need much float, they just need the angle of the
cleats set correctly. I had knee problems until I rotated mine to
allow my feet to point slightly outward, and that's solved the problem
for a few others I know, too.

OTOH, I also know someone who /does/ need to twist his foot significantly
while pedalling, and wasn't happy until he got Speedplays. For him the
expense and relative obscureness is worthwhile.

Your sore knee may not even be the result of foot position or lack
of rotation, though - it could be saddle height, incipient arthritis or
lack of flexibility.

> Also looking at the Sidi shoes? These are supposed to be good shoes. What is
> the big difference between the Sidi Genius 5 Lorica which is over $200 and
> the Sidi Genius 4 Mega Lorica for about $80 besides the top strap? What
> about carbon shoes? Are you just getting weight savings there? Thanks a lot.
> Sorry for all the questions.

As you pay more for shoes they get lighter, the soles get stiffer and
better tightening mechanisms such as ratchet straps appear. This doesn't
necessarily mean that expensive shoe A is more comfortable or effective
for you than cheap shoe B, though - the shape and support still have to
suit your foot, and some people find ultra-stiff carbon soles too hard on
their feet.

The big difference between clipless systems is that some, like SPD,
use cleats which are recessed into the sole of the shoe, so you can
walk comfortably in them, whereas "road" systems like SPD-SL and
Look don't, but have a much larger contact area between the pedal and
cleat, and thus feel more stable and secure.

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 04:36:05 +0000, chris c wrote:

> I am looking for a clipless system. I was wondering what are some good ones.
> I was talking to a local shop. Told the guy I had a knee problem and that it
> gets sore after 20 or more miles of riding sometimes. He said the speedplays
> allow more movement (float) than the others and they would probably be
> better for me. Why the big difference in price though? The titanium are
> around $280 and their cheapest ones are around $115. I assume the more $ are
> made better , but how? Better bearings? Do the titaniums last forever? They
> are lighter, but I don't see them being worth the extra $.

The ti ones are more expensive because they are made with titanium, which
still seems to have magical properties. I mean, people will pay $10
_per_bolt_ for ti crank bolts. Sheesh.

Ti pedals will not last longer. I don't know whether the bearings are the
same, but I'd be willing to bet they are. Ti pedals are also not safe for
bigger riders; check the weight limits before you buy.

Depending on the application, titanium may wear out much more quickly than
steel, for example, in cassette sprockets. It is a good frame material,
though.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

I have had the knee problem since I was younger around middle teen years.
I'm 36 now. My right knee has always been stiff compared to my left which I
have no problems with. I have been stretching on and off for years
(religously the last 2 years). I do hamstring stretches. The doctor ruled
out arthritis from an xray a while ago. I think its an old injury from
karate. It feels fine after resting it for a while . Sometimes it bothers me
on cold days though. That is why I want to go get it checked again). I think
it could be some form of arthritis.I never have a problem with my left knee
no matter how many miles I do. I think the most I have done is around 40 at
one time.

I use the SPD system. I have shimano shoes (with the recessed cleats) and
the pm520 pedals ( Ithink that's the model). They are mountain pedals. The
balls of my feet seem to not be far enough back. And there is no more room
for adjustment . I have the cleats all the way forward. They just seem like
they are not over the center axle of the pedal (balls of the feet). Although
it is nice to be able to walk normal and not like a duck.

Thanks for the replies

news:[email protected]...

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am looking for a clipless system. I was wondering what are some good ones.
>I was talking to a local shop. Told the guy I had a knee problem and that it
>gets sore after 20 or more miles of riding sometimes. He said the speedplays
>allow more movement (float) than the others and they would probably be
>better for me. Why the big difference in price though? The titanium are
>around $280 and their cheapest ones are around $115. I assume the more $ are
>made better , but how? Better bearings? Do the titaniums last forever? They
>are lighter, but I don't see them being worth the extra $.

Check out the archives. I think I remember a recommendation for the
stainless steel Speedplays (like the ones I have). IIRC, the titanium
spindles have limited weight capacity, and the cheaper chromoly ones
have poorer bearings.

Pat

Email address works as is.