Looking for shoes to wear recreational road riding

eddiekilowatt

Feb 8, 2011
I'm looking for a pair of shoes I can wear in cages as an all around shoe around the city but will be also useful riding varied distances. The longest day I've had so far was about 80 miles and I'd like to improve upon that this year. This will be my second year using cages and the first time I've sought out the right tools for the job of cycling any distance. Last year I bought a pair of Onitsuka Tigers (made for ping pong) and they have a fairly rigid sole for a regular shoe so I think they helped some.

I guess I'm looking for a reasonably price shoe I can hop off my bike and walk into work and not look like I stole my footwear from from the future. Laces are a plus.

Anybody have any suggestions or experiences to report? I'd appreciate any help!

Picked up a pair of AGU AQ34 Mountain Shoes at Nashbar. For under $40 with shipping I figured it was worth the gamble. Still lots of time before actual riding season happens here in Wisconsin.

they look cool,
for 80 miles though i would use straight cycling shoes, leaving the AGU just for city commuting.

Have you thought of BMX shoes? With or without dedicated BMX pedals, they have a soft enough surface for a good grip on platform pedals yet are stiff enough for fairly efficient pedalling. High-quality skateboard shoes can work well, too. BMX and skate shoes can be kind of "punky" looking, but many come with subdued styling like regular sneakers or leisure shoes. And they're decent walking shoes, too.

You could always buy a pair of SPD compatible mountain bike shoes and just not put the spd cleat on. They come with the cleat threads covered in a removable rubber skin.

Piloti G16 (or other model) driving shoes. I wear mine for driving, riding and general casual wear. I get complements on their looks. Great all-around shoes, with laces.

Reactions: steve
Originally Posted by nuliajuk .

You could always buy a pair of SPD compatible mountain bike shoes and just not put the spd cleat on. They come with the cleat threads covered in a removable rubber skin.
+1 - exactly what I got from my LBS. I have, however, progressed to using SPD cleats and found that walking in the shoes even with cleats is comfortable, and will not damage most flooring finishes.