Looking for some 7 speed STI type levers for a rebuild I'm working on

skidanski

Sep 3, 2010
Hey all, I'm currently in the midst of restoring an old Miyata frame I recently came by, and I'm looking to get a hold of some 7 speed brifters for it... Does anybody know if these exist or if there is a particular model that was made and is now obsolete that I could at least plug in to google to help narrow down my search? Any input is appreciated, thanks all.

I don't recall whether 7 speed STI was ever made, but it seems to me that you could use 8 speed shifters OK. The limit screws on the derailleur will prevent over-shifting, I believe. The issue will be with the spacing on the cassette (gears). It will have to match the amount of cable pulled by each shift. I'm sure that others here can offer more detail and correct me if I'm wrong. I suggest looking at Sheldon Brown's articles and information on the Harris Cyclery website. There's a weath of information and history there. Good luck with the restoration.

skidanski said:
I'm currently in the midst of restoring an old Miyata frame I recently came by, and I'm looking to get a hold of some 7 speed brifters for it... Does anybody know if these exist or if there is a particular model that was made and is now obsolete that I could at least plug in to google to help narrow down my search?
I concur that 8-speed cog spacing is close enough to 7-speed cog spacing that you should be able to use an 8-speed shifter ...

I think the LEAST EXPENSIVE (which includes using eBay) conversion would be a (used?) set of 10-speed Campagnolo (non-QS, non-PowerShift) shifters, an 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur, a 7-speed SunRace Freewheel, and (probably) a new chain -- if you are a wise shopper, you should be able to buy everything for under $200US ...

You can pay more, of course.

I was thinking that he could use his existing derailleur(?) Maybe we need more information. Used Shimano 105 brifters should be very reasonable on eBay.

I'm tempted to start a new thread on this, but I've got a 6 speed freewheel mated up to an 8 speed Shimano 600 brifter (STI). I know that many would think this is impossible as my Shimano 6 cogged freewheel is 5.3mm (just checked and confirmed) cog indexing and the 8 speed is 4.8mm (Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs), but that is what I have. Yes, I have adjusted the limit stops on the dérailleur to stop after 6. My question is...how is this possible? I bought this setup on eBay from a guy that bought the Shimano 600 8-speed brifters/dérailleur and brought them into a bike shop and they installed them on his 6 speed (5.3mm index) freewheel equipped bike. My assumption is that the bike shop modified the 8-speed dérailleur with parts from a shimano 600, 6 speed dérailleur as taking apart the brifter is NOT a good idea.

Anyone ever hear about this being possible before? Manybe skidanski could go down this route.

Steve_A said:
I was thinking that he could use his existing derailleur(?) Maybe we need more information. Used Shimano 105 brifters should be very reasonable on eBay.
A set of 8-speed 105 shifters would be a good option for the OP, but they weigh more, they will probably have been used for an unknown number of miles, and will probably cost more than a used pair of non-QS, 10-speed Campagnolo shifters.

Plus, the 105 shifters will require a new front derailleur while the non-QS Campagnolo shifters can be used with almost any front derailleur.

BUT, for the time being, availability & user preference should be the OP's guide.

FWIW. The pictured bike has a set of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters, an 8-speed SRAM :)eek:) cassette, an 8-speed XTR rear derailleur, a late 70s vintage Dura Ace front derailleur, and a SRAM (:eek:) 89R chain.

greglox said:
I'm tempted to start a new thread on this, but I've got a 6 speed freewheel mated up to an 8 speed Shimano 600 brifter (STI). I know that many would think this is impossible as my Shimano 6 cogged freewheel is 5.3mm (just checked and confirmed) cog indexing and the 8 speed is 4.8mm (Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs), but that is what I have. Yes, I have adjusted the limit stops on the dérailleur to stop after 6. My question is...how is this possible? I bought this setup on eBay from a guy that bought the Shimano 600 8-speed brifters/dérailleur and brought them into a bike shop and they installed them on his 6 speed (5.3mm index) freewheel equipped bike. My assumption is that the bike shop modified the 8-speed dérailleur with parts from a shimano 600, 6 speed dérailleur as taking apart the brifter is NOT a good idea.

Anyone ever hear about this being possible before? Manybe skidanski could go down this route.
There is a lot of wiggle-room between the plates of the chain's links ... and, the chain will nest on a cog even if the guide pulley isn't perfectly aligned with a particular cog.

Are you sure you don't have a SunTour "Ultra" Freewheel whose cog spacing is 5.0mm? The cogs will probably be "silver" if it is, BTW.

If your frame's rear spacing is 126mm, then you may want to get a 7-speed SunRace Freewheel at some point in the future.

I am absolutely sure...I have many unmodified Shimano 600 MF-6208 freewheel...5.3mm indexing...I checked with a caliper. It definitely clicks into the exact index in the top cog and the bottom cog. Either the brifter was modified or the derailleur was modified...at least, those are my thoughts.

greglox said:
I am absolutely sure...I have many unmodified Shimano 600 MF-6208 freewheel...5.3mm indexing...I checked with a caliper. It definitely clicks into the exact index in the top cog and the bottom cog. Either the brifter was modified or the derailleur was modified...at least, those are my thoughts.
Well, ignoring the possibility that you are looking-a-gift-horse-in-the-mouth ...

FWIW. If you attach the rear derailleur cable on an 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur using the ALTERNATE anchoring point 'A' (at 9 o'clock), the net indexing will be a shift of 5.3mm instead of 4.8mm.

The apparent (?) alternative (if the cable is attached in the "normal" position at 6 o'clock), would possibly be to have a Dura Ace SIS (?) rear derailleur.

Of course, you could be correct that the shop modified the shifter ... that would mean that someone definitely went to a great deal of effort!

skidanski said:
Does anybody know if these exist or if there is a particular model that was made and is now obsolete that I could at least plug in to google to help narrow down my search

The Burley tandem that I'm borrowing from a friend at work has 7-speed STI brifters on it. They say Shimano RSX on top.

Edit: Like so.....

alfeng said:
Well, ignoring the possibility that you are looking-a-gift-horse-in-the-mouth ...

FWIW. If you attach the rear derailleur cable on an 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur using the ALTERNATE anchoring point 'A' (at 9 o'clock), the net indexing will be a shift of 5.3mm instead of 4.8mm.

The apparent (?) alternative (if the cable is attached in the "normal" position at 6 o'clock), would possibly be to have a Dura Ace SIS (?) rear derailleur.

Of course, you could be correct that the shop modified the shifter ... that would mean that someone definitely went to a great deal of effort!

I know a good thing when I see it...I LOVE the brifters, vs my old downtube shifters. I'd just like to understand how this is possible!

I've looked at the derailleur's cable attachment and see only one place where it can go... It is definitely attached in the 'Standard Cable Routing (A)' as shown here: Derailer Adjustment-How To The derailleur is a RD-6401, Shimano 600 'Integrated 8 SIS'. This is mated to a MF-6208 Shimano 600 6 speed freewheel.

The previous owner knew nothing about this and he states that his LBS just installed them. So, it is possible that something like this may be the case...but I did nothing special when I installed them (brifter & derailleur).