Looking for some advice on clothing

Serina

Dec 31, 2012
Hi everyone,

My name is Serina and I am 20 years old from Atlanta, GA.
I just bought my first bicycle and am looking for some nice riding cloths...Iv'e been told that some cloths are made of a special material (i.e not cotton) which will improve my comfort. Can anyone elaborate please? What cloths do you girls buy?
I want to get something that looks good and is of high quality, I dont feel like using my Hanes sweatshirt any more :)

Thank you!
Serina

There are cycling specific clothing made of Spandex that make cycling a lot more enjoyable.
Shirts are called jerseys with many coming with pockets for all your extras.
Shorts are called Knicks.
There is Women Specific clothing.

Serina, check out teamestrogen.com. There is a whole bunch of women-specific clothing on their site.

Thanks you guys.

Are these cloths made of Spandex supposed to absorb sweat?

Thanks Matagi for the link, it looks really nice. Do they only sell online? I also found another shop that has cute short sleeve Jerseys (thanks Coneofsilence for the lingo)
funkycyclewear. Are you familiar with them? Or is it all the same concept - pretty designs made of Spandex?

All the same concept, just different quality like you find in regular clothing.
These clothes don't absorb sweat, they wick it away from the skin so that it can dry so you do not stay wet and uncomfortable

Shebeest, sugoi, terry, and Specialized are all really good brands. Comfortable and vary in terms of what kind of riding you want to do. Sugoi has comfy knickers that you can wear on a long ride or zipping around town running errands. I have items from all four brands and enjoy each article quite a bit. AND Shebeest and Terry are both women specific brands and Sugoi and Specialized carry both men and women's items...

The shorts/knickers will also come with a chamois. It's padding that helps with comfort when riding for longer periods of time. They feel kinds weird, but once you get used to them they are wonderful.

Redundancy is the unnecessary use of either needless, tautological, plenoastic or superfluous text, by which one repeats, in duplication, the same, identical, aforesaid things over and over again, beyond what would be needed or required to explain, or make comprehensible, the intended or signified meaning of that which one wishes to convey.

Fanboys... gotta love 'em.

While cycling you need stuff which are not only flexible to wear but also absorb sweat and comfortable too. So spandex material or Cotton mixed with other stuff are better to use.

If you have a cycling shop near you- one of my fave things to do is to visit them and check out the "clearance" section. Especially nice during sales or at the end/beginning of the season when they are looking to clear out stock- you can get nice stuff dirt cheap that way. No shipping and handling, you can try it on before you buy, and you develop a relationship with the sales crew in the store for future visits. :)

It is always preferable not to wear cotton clothes as they can get very sticky due to the sweat. I always wear polyester clothes are that can last for long time. I usually buy them online mostly amazon, they have some of the best quality available.

I always look for shirts made of jerseys, mainly because it just lets my perspiration roll down. Hanes is a bad idea because it keeps all the sweat on your back and it's really not healthy when you let it dry up. It can cause a bad bout of cough. Good quality jerseys can be rather expensive compared to Hanes, but believe me, the comfort it brings in terms of sweat is all worth it. You would not want to be biking around for hires with a totally wet shirt stuck on your back. Also, what I like best is that they dry up so quickly. I wash it, hang it for like an hour, and the water just rolls out of it and you can just use them again. I don't buy too many jerseys mainly because you can use it again pretty fast after one use.