Looking for some rare (probably) parts

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Neil, May 12, 2003.

  1. Neil

    Neil Guest

    Hello all,

    De - lurking for the second time this year, I was wondering if anyone on here would know where I can
    find the following?

    Firstly I'm looking for Suntour Power Shifter, the one with the fine ratchet, but 2 handled for
    front and rear Disraeli (I ride a road bike you see)

    Secondly, I've got a wheel built from a nice Tandem Hub with an RH thread to take the block, but on
    the other side theres an LH thread of the same size - my theory is that this might be to take a hub
    brake - can anyone shed any light?

    Happy cycling, if it is a bit windy :)

    Neil

    Tags:

  2. Pattledom

    Pattledom Guest

    Neil wrote:

    > Secondly, I've got a wheel built from a nice Tandem Hub with an RH thread to take the block, but
    > on the other side theres an LH thread of the same size - my theory is that this might be to take a
    > hub brake - can anyone shed any light?

    It won't be that because a brake on a LH thread on that side of the hub would come unscrewed - it
    needs to be RH.

    Is it all LH, or half LH & half RH, in which case it's a fixed-free hub.

    If it's just a LH thread it must be for applying power to the rear wheel in some way.

    Hmmm, I seem to be shedding dark rather than light.

    --
    Andrew Pattle

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Pattledom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Neil wrote:
    >

    > > Secondly, I've got a wheel built from a nice Tandem Hub with an RH thread to take the block, but
    > > on the other side theres an LH thread of the same size - my theory is that this might be to take
    > > a hub brake - can anyone shed any light?
    >
    > It won't be that because a brake on a LH thread on that side of the hub would come unscrewed - it
    > needs to be RH.
    >
    > Is it all LH, or half LH & half RH, in which case it's a fixed-free hub.
    >
    > If it's just a LH thread it must be for applying power to the rear wheel
    in
    > some way.
    >
    > Hmmm, I seem to be shedding dark rather than light.

    You're pretty much there.

    It's almost certainly an RH thread on both sides, and yes, it is there to take a drum brake - the
    Arai drum brake is the standard tandem drum brake.

    Neil - try checking the threading again!

    cheers, clive

  4. Are you still looking for Suntour Powershifter levers? I've just removed a pair from my broken road
    bike (frame snapped). I'll probably be building more of a mountain type bike to replace it so
    probably won't need them. Let me know if you're interested. They were fitted to the bike back in
    about 1980 (ish) and are still working perfectly. Cheers Colin