Road Cycling · Public discussion

Looking for specific exercise bike from Denise Austin

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,032 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
26 March 2006
Last activity
26 March 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,032
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm in the market for the Denise Austin Recumbent Bike From Spartan
    Sports of which there seems to be only one. The URL I'm looking at
    is:
    http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1414181&cp=863229.1382081&filter=yes&fCat=1382081&fpricesort=priceAscending&parentPage=family

    I cannot seem to find one in any store, and would love to try one
    before ordering it.

    I'm in the Boston, MA area - does anyone know of a store and/or fitness
    center that might carry it, so I can check it out before placing an
    order?

    Thanks much in advance.

    Scott

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm in the market for the Denise Austin Recumbent Bike From Spartan
    Sports of which there seems to be only one. The URL I'm looking at
    is:
    http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1414181&cp=863229.1382081&filter=yes&fCat=1382081&fpricesort=priceAscending&parentPage=family

    I cannot seem to find one in any store, and would love to try one
    before ordering it.

    I'm in the Boston, MA area - does anyone know of a store and/or fitness
    center that might carry it, so I can check it out before placing an
    order?

    Thanks much in advance.

    Scott

    There's something far more important than just trying one out... and that's
    being able to get replacement parts down the road. Exercise bikes frequently
    have parts that break or wear out, and I can't tell you how many people come
    in looking for this-or-that unique part for an exercise bike because the
    company is either no longer in business or simply doesn't support the
    product. Essentially people have paid pretty decent money for disposable
    items.

    Keep in mind we don't sell exercise bikes, so it's not as if I'm trying to
    protect my own interest. It's just a total crime, to me, that so many of
    them can so quickly become worthless junk, especially models like the one
    shown in your link, which looks to have a lot of internal stuff going on
    behind the scenes.

    If you're actually going to make use of an exercise bike, consider spending
    a bit more and getting something from a reputable local retailer who will
    keep it running for you. And when you buy it, make sure they *will* commit
    to keeping it running (make sure they have a repair shop etc).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  3. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Scott asked:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm in the market for the Denise Austin Recumbent Bike From Spartan
    Sports of which there seems to be only one. The URL I'm looking at
    is:
    http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1414181&cp=863229.1382081&filter=yes&fCat=1382081&fpricesort=priceAscending&parentPage=family


    . Exercise bikes frequently have parts that break or wear out, and I can't
    tell you how many people come in looking for this-or-that unique part for
    an exercise bike because the company is either no longer in business or
    simply doesn't support the product. Essentially people have paid pretty
    decent money for disposable items.

    Keep in mind we don't sell exercise bikes, so it's not as if I'm trying to
    protect my own interest. It's just a total crime, to me, that so many of
    them can so quickly become worthless junk, especially models like the one
    shown in your link, which looks to have a lot of internal stuff going on
    behind the scenes.


    I can Mike J's point from personal experience.

    There's a lot of cheap junk exercise equipment out there.

    Some years ago, my wife wanted an exercise bike. We bought one from a
    sporting goods superstore. It broke in a week. We took it back, but instead
    of fixing it they offered us another one. We got a different brand, instead,
    from the same store. That also lasted less than a week. We got our money
    back and spent a bit more buying a Schwinn XR-7 with fewer features but
    built in the fine tradition of Chicago Schwinns. It is heavy as a tank
    (which doesn't matter on an exercycle) and indestructible. This exercise
    bike has more than 18,000 miles on it with no problems other than replacing
    the pedal straps and providing lubrication.

    If the product isn't sold in stores, you won't be able to see it until your
    credit card has already been charged for it. Even if you can return it, you
    will have to ship it back. Stuff is sold this way for a reason. The reason
    might be that you are somebody like Bruce Gordon is or Gardiner Martin was
    and are selling very high quality bikes to a small, geographically dispersed
    audience, or it might be that you are selling junk.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.