Looking for suggestions for new Touring bike...

MsMittens

Aug 7, 2004
Ok.. after what happened this year, it is evident to me that I need a bike that is truly a touring bike. I'm looking for suggestions. What I do know is this:

1. I do mostly self-supported tours (tent, sleeping bag, mat, and sometimes cooking utensils).

2. Sometimes the terrain is not paved or even paved decently (rough road conditions)

3. I can be rough on bikes

4. Budget is around $2kCDN (I think that's about $1,500 USD). That eliminates most custom bikes.

5. While I've been used to the flat/slightly curved bars of a mountain/hybrid bike I am open to the "racer" bars (I don't know what else to call them so if someone could correct me with the appropriate name I'd appreciate it).

6. I do have plans at some point to do a Toronto-Tampa trip, an across Canada trip and trips through Europe and Asia.

7. I'm small (5 feet, 1 inch) and would prefer a bike designed accordingly (I've had a Cannondale that was "fitted" for my height but found it was too "long" in feel). My arms feel short.

So.. suggestions from experts and non-experts alike? :)

MsMittens said:
Ok.. after what happened this year, it is evident to me that I need a bike that is truly a touring bike. I'm looking for suggestions. What I do know is this:

1. I do mostly self-supported tours (tent, sleeping bag, mat, and sometimes cooking utensils).

2. Sometimes the terrain is not paved or even paved decently (rough road conditions)

3. I can be rough on bikes

4. Budget is around $2kCDN (I think that's about $1,500 USD). That eliminates most custom bikes.

5. While I've been used to the flat/slightly curved bars of a mountain/hybrid bike I am open to the "racer" bars (I don't know what else to call them so if someone could correct me with the appropriate name I'd appreciate it).

6. I do have plans at some point to do a Toronto-Tampa trip, an across Canada trip and trips through Europe and Asia.

7. I'm small (5 feet, 1 inch) and would prefer a bike designed accordingly (I've had a Cannondale that was "fitted" for my height but found it was too "long" in feel). My arms feel short.

So.. suggestions from experts and non-experts alike? :)

<http://www.bgcycles.com/blt.html>

or

<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2003-show/pages/20-longhaultrucker.html>

MsMittens said:
Ok.. after what happened this year, it is evident to me that I need a bike that is truly a touring bike. I'm looking for suggestions.
As noted above, the Surly Long Haul Trucker frame is a good bet at $400. Another option is to buy a used mountain bike off ebay.com. I recommend one from the early 1990's, such as Bridgestone MB-5 or MB-6, or the Trek 830 or 850, Jamis Diablo, or the Specialized RockHopper. Each of these comes with all cro-molly frame and fork, rack eyelets on both front and rear dropouts, and with long wheelbases (40 or more inches). In short, each of these frames makes for a strong, sturdy touring bike. I've been watching ebay for these bikes for several months now, and you can get one for easily under $200. Strip the frame of components that are worn out, add new, add fenders and racks, add some bar-ends and a mirror, and you have a nice touring bike designed for a heavy load. Such is my current heavy-duty tourer -- a 1993 Jamis diablo. Mountain bike frames of that era are very strong.