Looking for suggestions/help for first build project

danraley

Oct 6, 2011
HI, I want to build my first singlespeed bike and am looking for some suggestions/help with frame and parts selection. I have been an avid Road and MTB rider for quite awhile, but can not anymore due to knee issues so I just ride for recreation and because I love it so much. I currently have an Electra cruiser which I love and is great to ride, but have wanted to build a singlespeed for a couple of years now and have decided to do it.

I do not want and can not afford a high end bike at this time and honestly don't ride enough anymore that I need one. I want a fun, versatile singlespeed to ride on bike paths, around the neighborhood, but also be able to handle some off road riding, mainly grass and hard packed smooth dirt trails.

My budget is going to be under the $250-$300 range and I would love to find an older used road frame to use if possible, just need some suggestions on what ones would be good to look at. I would also like suggestions for the rest of the parts as well. I do not want this to be a flashy bike, I want a low profile looking bike, clean and simple. I also want to mount a rack on the rear and possibly some simple fenders down the road, but those aren't a definite. I was also thinking of putting cross tires on it, thoughts? I do not want clipless pedals on it either. I do not want a fixie so I'm not sure what a good hub to go with would be, maybe a flip flop? Or one that is just a singlespeed, I can not spin at a continuos high cadence with my knee so I need to be able to coast once in awhile. Also for brakes to keep cost down I want good, simple, reliable brakes for now, but may down the road want think about adding manual discs to it if that would be possible. I also want to have a chainguard on it to keep my pant from getting tore up and dirty.

To give you and idea of the look I am going for I will probably paint the frame either matte black, or all white and go with all black parts on it where possible. I want it to have a very utility, aggressive urban look to it.

Thanks, I know that's a lot of info to ask, but I'm really looking forward to building this and was thinking with all the knowledge in this forum I should be able to get some great help and after I'm done with my build I will be able to do the same for someone else too.

Dan

Old chrome-moly framed 10-speeds from the 1970s and early 80s are a good bet. Another possibility is something along the line of a 1980s Trek 700 series frame which will be a little tougher. Either is going to be relatively heavy but should be dirt cheap. If you go the 10-speed route, you might need an American to English adapter for the BB, unless you don't mind a one-piece steel crank built like a boat anchor. That'll add $15-20 to the project.