Looking for the best bike rack...

Geoff2010

Apr 17, 2004
Hey everyone... I am not 100% sure this is the correct forum for this, but here goes.

I just bought a brand new car, and I am looking for a removable trunk mount rack to transport my bike. I am very concerned about the rack system causing zero damage to my car, even on long 4+ hour drives.

Can anyone suggest a good system?

Thanks in advance.
Geoff

Originally posted by Geoff2010
Hey everyone... I am not 100% sure this is the correct forum for this, but here goes.

I just bought a brand new car, and I am looking for a removable trunk mount rack to transport my bike. I am very concerned about the rack system causing zero damage to my car, even on long 4+ hour drives.

Can anyone suggest a good system?

Thanks in advance.
Geoff

Thule and Yakima make very high quality units.
However, the "zero damage to my car" part is asking more than can be expected of any of these units. There are contact points to your vehicle and some abrasion will happen.
If you want something that doesn't damage your car, you will need to consider a 2" receiver type rack that extends behind your vehicle.

Zero damage is something that might be a lot to ask for since the racks are supported by your paintwork and then bound to your car with straps. There is bound to be some movement over the course of your drive.

The best units are from Yakima, Thule and Saris. The top line Yakima Mighty Joe is good because it has stabilizer cradles and has extra large pads to reduce the possiblity of damage. But if you have small bikes or odd shaped frames, fitting your bike might be hard.