Looking for the older recipe / cooking sites

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All,
>
> I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
> any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
> the following:
>
> http://www.allrecipes.com
> http://www.cdktichen.com
> http://www.recipesource.com
>
> So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?
>
> thanks
> Frank

If I gave you a recipe and didn't reveal the original source, how would you
know if it was a new or old recipe, assuming it didn't contain any
ingredients which would provide a hint?

> Hello All,
>
> I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
> any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
> the following:
>
> http://www.allrecipes.com
> http://www.cdktichen.com
> http://www.recipesource.com
>
> So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?
>
> thanks
> Frank

What's an old recipe?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

> Hello All,
>
> I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
> any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
> the following:
>
> http://www.allrecipes.com
> http://www.cdktichen.com
> http://www.recipesource.com
>
> So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?

I think all three of those sites are pretty random collections. No
discernible quality control, but then my experience with them is very
limited.

For old recipes in particular check out this website. It's a history
project that collected American cookbooks from the earliest ones they
could find -- late 18th century on. It's a large collection and they
are available for your reading online. Quite fun to browse through if
you're into old cookbooks. It was posted here in rfc some time ago but
I've forgotten by whom. -aem

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/html/browse.html

Click on "the Project" at the top of the page and then on "FAQ" to get
a good idea of what it's all about.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
> any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
> the following:
>
> http://www.allrecipes.com
> http://www.cdktichen.com
> http://www.recipesource.com
>
> So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?
>
> thanks
> Frank

What sort of old recipes are you looking for? 1950s burgers made up
with chopped bacon, sausage and ground beef mixed together, formed into
patties and broiled? Stuff from _Salt Water Foodways_ on cooking with
the minimal ingredients then available? Recipes from when cookies were
called cookys, or recipes receipts? Or are you looking for specific
recipes for things you once enjoyed?

Jessica

On 11 Apr 2006 11:36:51 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
>any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
>the following:
>
>http://www.allrecipes.com
>http://www.cdktichen.com
>http://www.recipesource.com
>
>So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?
>
>thanks
>Frank

There is a news group called rec.food.historic. If you are trying to
find REALLY old recipes, check their archives.

Boron

> There is a news group called rec.food.historic. If you are trying to
> find REALLY old recipes, check their archives.
>
> Boron

Thanks Boron!

As for what classifies a recipe as "old". I'm really intrested in
anything prior to 1960s. I've been reading some old cook books (some as
old as 1898) and am amazed at the simplicty and taste of many of these
recipes. A friend of mine is a chef and was commenting that many older
recipes have very good foundations (base) and with a little bit of
creativity you can make some delicious and intriguing recipes and
dishes.

regards
Frank

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> There is a news group called rec.food.historic. If you are trying to
>> find REALLY old recipes, check their archives.
>>
>> Boron

> Thanks Boron!
>
> As for what classifies a recipe as "old". I'm really intrested in
> anything prior to 1960s. I've been reading some old cook books (some as
> old as 1898) and am amazed at the simplicty and taste of many of these
> recipes. A friend of mine is a chef and was commenting that many older
> recipes have very good foundations (base) and with a little bit of
> creativity you can make some delicious and intriguing recipes and
> dishes.
>
> regards
> Frank

"In Nonna's Kitchen" - great book. All recipes from Italian grandmothers.
You want simplicity? This is it.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> What's an old recipe?

Anything in a pre - 1960 church cookbook ;-)

--
Best
Greg

"Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> What's an old recipe?

> Anything in a pre - 1960 church cookbook ;-)
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Here's one from my ex-wife's cousin:

Mashed potatoes to die from:

4 large potatoes, peeled
9 sticks of butter
4 cups of salt

Boil potatoes. Mash them. Melt butter, mix with potatoes. Add salt. Call
cardiologist.

I'm not kidding, either.

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote

> Here's one from my ex-wife's cousin:

(laugh!) I didn't see it was from you at first, I thought, wow,
another person makes mashed potatoes with all that butter???

Whew. I'm awake now.

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Here's one from my ex-wife's cousin:

> (laugh!) I didn't see it was from you at first, I thought, wow,
> another person makes mashed potatoes with all that butter???
>
> Whew. I'm awake now.
>
> nancy

I used to call it "potato frosting", since it was largely butter. Luckily,
the lady could take a ribbing. :)