Looking for the older recipe / cooking sites

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
    > any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
    > the following:
    >
    > http://www.allrecipes.com
    > http://www.cdktichen.com
    > http://www.recipesource.com
    >
    > So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?
    >
    > thanks
    > Frank

    If I gave you a recipe and didn't reveal the original source, how would you
    know if it was a new or old recipe, assuming it didn't contain any
    ingredients which would provide a hint?

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
    > any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
    > the following:
    >
    > http://www.allrecipes.com
    > http://www.cdktichen.com
    > http://www.recipesource.com
    >
    > So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?
    >
    > thanks
    > Frank

    What's an old recipe?
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

  4. aem

    aem Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
    > any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
    > the following:
    >
    > http://www.allrecipes.com
    > http://www.cdktichen.com
    > http://www.recipesource.com
    >
    > So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?

    I think all three of those sites are pretty random collections. No
    discernible quality control, but then my experience with them is very
    limited.

    For old recipes in particular check out this website. It's a history
    project that collected American cookbooks from the earliest ones they
    could find -- late 18th century on. It's a large collection and they
    are available for your reading online. Quite fun to browse through if
    you're into old cookbooks. It was posted here in rfc some time ago but
    I've forgotten by whom. -aem

    http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/html/browse.html

    Click on "the Project" at the top of the page and then on "FAQ" to get
    a good idea of what it's all about.

  5. Jessica V.

    Jessica V. Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
    > any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
    > the following:
    >
    > http://www.allrecipes.com
    > http://www.cdktichen.com
    > http://www.recipesource.com
    >
    > So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?
    >
    > thanks
    > Frank

    What sort of old recipes are you looking for? 1950s burgers made up
    with chopped bacon, sausage and ground beef mixed together, formed into
    patties and broiled? Stuff from _Salt Water Foodways_ on cooking with
    the minimal ingredients then available? Recipes from when cookies were
    called cookys, or recipes receipts? Or are you looking for specific
    recipes for things you once enjoyed?

    Jessica

  6. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On 11 Apr 2006 11:36:51 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >I'm looking for some old recipes and would like to know if any one has
    >any sites book marked that may contain all old recipes. I've checked
    >the following:
    >
    >http://www.allrecipes.com
    >http://www.cdktichen.com
    >http://www.recipesource.com
    >
    >So far I like the recipes at the last site. Any recommendations?
    >
    >thanks
    >Frank

    There is a news group called rec.food.historic. If you are trying to
    find REALLY old recipes, check their archives.

    Boron

  7. > There is a news group called rec.food.historic. If you are trying to
    > find REALLY old recipes, check their archives.
    >
    > Boron

    Thanks Boron!

    As for what classifies a recipe as "old". I'm really intrested in
    anything prior to 1960s. I've been reading some old cook books (some as
    old as 1898) and am amazed at the simplicty and taste of many of these
    recipes. A friend of mine is a chef and was commenting that many older
    recipes have very good foundations (base) and with a little bit of
    creativity you can make some delicious and intriguing recipes and
    dishes.

    regards
    Frank

  8. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> There is a news group called rec.food.historic. If you are trying to
    >> find REALLY old recipes, check their archives.
    >>
    >> Boron

    > Thanks Boron!
    >
    > As for what classifies a recipe as "old". I'm really intrested in
    > anything prior to 1960s. I've been reading some old cook books (some as
    > old as 1898) and am amazed at the simplicty and taste of many of these
    > recipes. A friend of mine is a chef and was commenting that many older
    > recipes have very good foundations (base) and with a little bit of
    > creativity you can make some delicious and intriguing recipes and
    > dishes.
    >
    > regards
    > Frank

    "In Nonna's Kitchen" - great book. All recipes from Italian grandmothers.
    You want simplicity? This is it.

  9. Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > What's an old recipe?

    Anything in a pre - 1960 church cookbook ;-)

    --
    Best
    Greg

  10. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    >> What's an old recipe?

    > Anything in a pre - 1960 church cookbook ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Best
    > Greg

    Here's one from my ex-wife's cousin:

    Mashed potatoes to die from:

    4 large potatoes, peeled
    9 sticks of butter
    4 cups of salt

    Boil potatoes. Mash them. Melt butter, mix with potatoes. Add salt. Call
    cardiologist.

    I'm not kidding, either.

  11. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Here's one from my ex-wife's cousin:

    (laugh!) I didn't see it was from you at first, I thought, wow,
    another person makes mashed potatoes with all that butter???

    Whew. I'm awake now.

    nancy

  12. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Here's one from my ex-wife's cousin:

    > (laugh!) I didn't see it was from you at first, I thought, wow,
    > another person makes mashed potatoes with all that butter???
    >
    > Whew. I'm awake now.
    >
    > nancy

    I used to call it "potato frosting", since it was largely butter. Luckily,
    the lady could take a ribbing. :)