Looking for the right saddle

jamesprice

Jul 13, 2009
Hey I am pretty new to riding and am having trouble with my saddle. My setup is a 2006 Fuji Team Carbon with Mavic Ksyzium SL wheels but my saddle is just a Bontrager basic saddle from a new base model Trek. I am looking to get a new one but dont know where to start. I am 6'2" weigh about 210 any help is greatly appreciated.

Your best bet is to go to a reputable LBS who will let you try out a few different saddles. Everyone is built somewhat differently and saddle advice is the hardest to give.

Personally, I like a couple of different Selle Italia models and am fond of my Brooks saddles.

Much will depend on the width of your ischial tuberosities (commonly known as "sit bones") and the distance you are riding ... your weight and even the surface of the roads you regularly ride come into the equation.

You can get a pretty good idea of what's a contender in a relatively short ride. Even so, most of us have a few duds in our spare parts box.

I like the Brooks B17 Special my self it works well for me.This may be for you or not.I'm not as big as you are but look into them any way.Have a great ride.

You're going to have to try some saddles on your own. That's the only reliable way to find a saddle that works. For that you need to find a good LBS that will you to try out a few saddles.

Don't drink the Brooks kool aid without trying first. There are plenty of folks who couldn't or can't get on with Brooks saddles.

randochap said:
Your best bet is to go to a reputable LBS who will let you try out a few different saddles. Everyone is built somewhat differently and saddle advice is the hardest to give.

Personally, I like a couple of different Selle Italia models and am fond of my Brooks saddles.

Much will depend on the width of your ischial tuberosities (commonly known as "sit bones") and the distance you are riding ... your weight and even the surface of the roads you regularly ride come into the equation.

You can get a pretty good idea of what's a contender in a relatively short ride. Even so, most of us have a few duds in our spare parts box.

What they said and try a Brooks before you buy if you can. They are not the panacea to saddle comfort as some have implied. They work for some and don't for others, like any saddle. Plus the ti railed one costs a bunch of $.

The usual Brooks responses probably aren't really going to help you much. First of all, do you just want a new saddle, or are you having problems with your current one? If so, what's the problem?

Many saddle problems are really more of a positioning problem than a saddle one.

If you just set off on a search for a saddle, you may never come back.

longfemur said:
The usual Brooks responses probably aren't really going to help you much. First of all, do you just want a new saddle, or are you having problems with your current one? If so, what's the problem?

Many saddle problems are really more of a positioning problem than a saddle one.

If you just set off on a search for a saddle, you may never come back.

What he said. Saddle discomfort can be the result of a bad bike fit. Small changes in fit or in saddle position can make big differences in how you feel.

I weigh more than you and I currently use an ISM Typhoon saddle. It is a bit funky to get used and properly fitted but in my opinion it is the most comfortable saddle out there. I have been using mine for about a year now. You will need to use it for couple of weeks to get your sit bones area in shape. I went through 2 different saddles prior to getting this one. Adamo or ISM has a number of saddles. I chose the Typhoon model as it had the most get padding. You can probably try one out from your local cycling store. Most reputable shops have a 30 day trial period on saddles.

There is a lot of good advise in here. There is one other thing to consider, just because a saddle is priced @$$$$ does not mean that it will be comfortable. One of my favorite saddles is a $29.00 Velo that I got off eBay. I know the distance between my sit-bones and this saddle had the width. I know what my reach is and this saddle had the right length and range of fore-aft adjustment. So don't write off a saddle just because it is "too cheap to be comfortable". BTW, I would not suggest buying a saddle on eBay until you get more experience under your bottom because most sites have a no return policy.

alienator said:
Saddle discomfort can be the result of a bad bike fit. Small changes in fit or in saddle position can make big differences in how you feel.

This. I have seen people try saddle after saddle without success, until I suggested they try -- for example -- moving the saddle under their sit bones. Changes in saddle position must, of course, be considered along with other fitting decisions.

Often, people will move the saddle in an attempt to solve other issues (e.g. frame too long/short) only to complicate other issues.

Ideally, saddle position is set according to pedaling style, crank length, seat angle, foot position etc., then the rest of the fit is dialed accordingly. Remember, pedaling efficiency is the foundation -- what makes you go. Then, take care of comfort issues by setting up the cockpit.

Bicycle fitting is an art based on an ongoing dialogue with your body.

Try as many as you can - its a very personal thing

I settled on the SMP4Bike Evolution for road use and the Pro for MTB and commuting (where I sit more upright) - I found the comments about a channel being better than a hole compelling (I sit forward a lot) and, after trying pretty much every other brand (right back to the Turbo and Rolls with the brass bit on the back in the 80's!), I honestly don't feel the need to ever look at another saddle again.

But do be sure to try loads before you decide. Saddles are getting pricey nowadays and changing saddles on a couple of bikes is no small outlay.

Because of your size, you probably want a wider saddle ...

Ignore the "women's" label ...

Fizik makes some very good, "wide" saddles.

A Brooks B17 (normal width which is relatively WIDE) may-or-may-not work for you, also.

Regardless of saddle, how you install it can affect whether or not you find it comfortable or uncomfortable.