Looking for touring friendly Aero Bars. Any advice/suggestions?

Sid Nitzerglobi

Jun 15, 2010
I'm looking to get some clip on aero bars for my road bike mainly to give me additional hand positions. So far I've been doing the ghetto aero bar impersonation of leaning my elbows on the bar tops and sliding my forearms/wrists against the neck of my shifters. This does a decent job of giving my hands a rest (in addition to working some different muscles and encouraging a higher cadence and mph) but the transition to this position feels pretty sketchy (especially when my foreams are sweaty) and control is a bit precarious when hitting the rough stuff.

I'm trying to find a set that would allow the additional position w/ more control than leaning on the bars but that isn't going to put me in so extreme of a racing posture that I have to change my saddle height/tilt/position to the point of screwing up my ability to use the shifter and bar end positions comfortably.

So far these are the ones I've been looking at:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Profile-Design-Carbon-Stryke-Aerobar/dp/B000OLCP7Q"]Profile Designs Carbon Stryke[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Tech-VisionTech-Clip-on-Bars/dp/B000MUPB48"]VisionTech TT[/ame] (probably the 290mm variety)

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions?

All aerobars I've seen have the pads several cm above the bar top . . . if you have no problem leaning on the bar top itself, aerobars will be fine. (You 'll actually be a bit more upright on them.)

Wound up getting a set of the Carbon Strykes at my LBS on Saturday. Definitely much better than leaning on the handlebars but still need to work on tweaking the setup. Currently I've got the top of the grips at even height with the tops of the hoods and angled my saddle down a couple degrees or so. May need to scoot the saddle forward a little as my knees seem to be trailing the pedals a bit now. The bars seem a little shorter than I would like, but it may just be my body positioning (trying to get arms stretched out too far forward).