Looking for used cycling clothes

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Eug K, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eug K

Eug K Guest

Hi,

dare I ask.. does anyone have used bike pants / bib shorts / whatever for sale? Unfortunately on a
    student's budget, I can't afford them new. Yes, used clothing of that sort may sound "ugh", but hey,
    it's mostly
    psychological! :)

I'm a size M, in brisbane.

thanks

--
    [email protected] is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!

Tags:

2. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Guest

"eug k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > dare I ask.. does anyone have used bike pants /

$30/skidmark? ;^)

Mark Lee

3. Shabby

Shabby New Member

I have about four or five pairs of knicks which the padding has gone in, the lycra has started to go thin, they nede to be pulled up around your nipples.... And some jerseys which have new team or brand names after crashing and having to sew together the remnants.

I'd wait for a sale if I were you, you're just going to get worn out stuff which doesn't meet it's intended purpose, which you'll ultimately throw away.

4. Andrew Swan

Andrew Swan Guest

eug k wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > dare I ask.. does anyone have used bike pants / bib shorts / whatever for sale? Unfortunately on a
    > student's budget, I can't afford them new. Yes, used clothing of that sort may sound "ugh", but
    > hey, it's mostly
    > psychological! :)
    >
    > I'm a size M, in brisbane.
    >
    >
    > thanks
    >
    >
    Try ProBikeKit: http://www.probikekit.com/aus/index.php?affid=AF70

Around A$40 for a jersey or bib knicks (with trade team logos) is pretty good I reckon, and better
    than buying anything used. I've bought from them once and have no complaints. The goods will ship
    from the UK when you order them, so it does take a few days (must be air freight I guess), but at
    that price you can't be too picky.

HTH,

&roo

5. Eug K

Eug K Guest

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > eug k wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    [...]

> Try ProBikeKit: http://www.probikekit.com/aus/index.php?affid=AF70
    >
    > Around A$40 for a jersey or bib knicks (with trade team logos) is pretty good I reckon, and better
    > than buying anything used. I've bought from them once and have no complaints. The goods will ship
    > from the UK when you order them, so it does take a few days (must be air freight I guess), but at
    > that price you can't be too picky.
    >
    > HTH,

neat.. thanks, will have a look!

--

6. Eug K

Eug K Guest

Shabby <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Eug K wrote:
    > > Hi, dare I ask.. does anyone have used bike pants / bib shorts / whatever for sale?
    > > Unfortunately on a student's budget, I can't afford them new. Yes, used clothing of that sort
    > > may sound "ugh", but hey, it's mostly
    > > psychological! :) I'm a size M, in brisbane. thanks
    > > --
    > > [email protected] is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!
    >
    > I have about four or five pairs of knicks which the padding has gone in, the lycra has started to
    > go thin, they nede to be pulled up around your nipples.... And some jerseys which have new team or
    > brand names after crashing and having to sew together the remnants.
    >
    > I'd wait for a sale if I were you, you're just going to get worn out stuff which doesn't meet it's
    > intended purpose, which you'll ultimately throw away.

mmm, true. That site posted by Andrew has pretty cheap bibs. Still not sure which to go for though,
    shorts or bibs.

--

7. John Staines

John Staines Guest

Yeah it's a tough choice. My personal preference is to cycle in bibs...very comfortable but I do
    find it annoying when you need to go to the tiolet! :eek:) Even more so in winter as I have at least 3
    layers of clothing! :eek:) and you have to strip off when you get the call of nature! :eek:)

Cheers

John

eug k wrote:
    >
    > Shabby <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Eug K wrote:
    > > > Hi, dare I ask.. does anyone have used bike pants / bib shorts / whatever for sale?
    > > > Unfortunately on a student's budget, I can't afford them new. Yes, used clothing of that
    > > > sort may sound "ugh", but hey, it's mostly
    > > > psychological! :) I'm a size M, in brisbane. thanks
    > > > --
    > > > [email protected] is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!
    > >
    > > I have about four or five pairs of knicks which the padding has gone in, the lycra has started
    > > to go thin, they nede to be pulled up around your nipples.... And some jerseys which have new
    > > team or brand names after crashing and having to sew together the remnants.
    > >
    > > I'd wait for a sale if I were you, you're just going to get worn out stuff which doesn't meet
    > > it's intended purpose, which you'll ultimately throw away.
    >
    > mmm, true. That site posted by Andrew has pretty cheap bibs. Still not sure which to go for
    > though, shorts or bibs.
    >
    > --
    > [email protected] is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!

8. Andrew Swan

Andrew Swan Guest

> Still not sure which to go for though, shorts or bibs.

Shorts are by far the most convenient for going to the loo!

Bibs are noticeably warmer, even though the "bib" bit is made of perforated singlet-type aircell
    material. Good on chilly winter days but I can't see myself wearing them in the height of summer.

Bibs hold the "knick" part more snugly up into your crotch, which I have read reduces chafing
    (because your knicks are always in the right position) and therefore the incidence of saddle sores.
    I wear both "bib" and "normal" knicks at various times, so I can't comment on this.

Bibs are a pain if like me you sometimes ride home in your work shirt, as there's nowhere to tuck it
    in, and wearing the bib over the top is not a good look (hence the yellow rain jacket!)

&roo

9. Eug K

Eug K Guest

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Still not sure which to go for though, shorts or bibs.
    >
    > Shorts are by far the most convenient for going to the loo!
    >
    > Bibs are noticeably warmer, even though the "bib" bit is made of perforated singlet-type aircell
    > material. Good on chilly winter days but I can't see myself wearing them in the height of summer.

[....]

> Bibs are a pain if like me you sometimes ride home in your work shirt, as there's nowhere to tuck
    > it in, and wearing the bib over the top is not a good look (hence the yellow rain jacket!)

neat, thanks for the info! I'll probably go to a local store and try out a pair first to see what
    it's like. I'm not a very hardcore cyclist so I suppose shorts should be fine (no major complaints
    so far), but I really want to know what I'm missing. :)

thanks

--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.