Looking for value in carbon frames

Walrus

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
I'm about 3 weeks away from getting a new bike. I want to spend $2500-$3000 and have scoured the market and know pretty much all aluminium offerings from lesser known brands like Felt and Gitane, to Treks, Giants, Lemond's and C'dale's.

However, I was in a shop yesterday and they had a bunch of full carbon 2003 Look KG361's for $3K. They only have 105 and Shimano wheels, but from what I read, this is a beautiful frame and the only diff to the new version (KG451) is that the 451 has a new paintjob and an integrated headset. I asked why they had 2 year old bikes, and the guy said that the rep had neglected to clear them and offered the shop a good deal on all their 361 stock. So now I'm hooked and wondering whether there are any other carbon options in this range? Any thoughts?

I know that Alchemy have a carbon bike under $3K but when compared with a Look, it doesn't stand up. In your opinion, are there any other carbon options I should consider?

I would upgrade the wheels and groupset on the Look over time, but otherwise take it as is.

Walrus said:
[...]

Personally, it sounds like a great deal. havent had any person experience with current 105 so cant comment on the gruppo. that frame though is a winner. I bought a second hand colnago C40 and it is the best frame i have ever had. To be honest, would you ever be able to afford to buy a Look at the regular price?

Have you taken it out on a test ride?

byron27 said:
Personally, it sounds like a great deal. havent had any person experience with current 105 so cant comment on the gruppo. that frame though is a winner. I bought a second hand colnago C40 and it is the best frame i have ever had. To be honest, would you ever be able to afford to buy a Look at the regular price?

Have you taken it out on a test ride?
No not yet. I definately will though.

Walrus said:
No not yet. I definately will though.
when I was looking for my carbon frame I ended up test riding an Inexa frame down at O'mara cycles in Cheltenham (Taiwanese factory carbon frame) , may have been slightly above your range, but it was a pretty good ride, full carbon and he was definately prepared to do a good deal on the complete package, maybe worth a phone call.

I also test rode a 461 and if the only difference between that and the 361 is the headset and the cool look, sounds like an extremely good deal.

MikeyOz said:
when I was looking for my carbon frame I ended up test riding an Inexa frame down at O'mara cycles in Cheltenham (Taiwanese factory carbon frame) , may have been slightly above your range, but it was a pretty good ride, full carbon and he was definately prepared to do a good deal on the complete package, maybe worth a phone call.

I also test rode a 461 and if the only difference between that and the 361 is the headset and the cool look, sounds like an extremely good deal.
I love that Inexa C1, it looks awesome. It's also a good price, but as you say, a bit beyond me. I'll keep it in mind though. If I start looking to upgrade the 361 at the shop, I might end up in that region anyway. :rolleyes:

Walrus said:
I love that Inexa C1, it looks awesome. It's also a good price, but as you say, a bit beyond me. I'll keep it in mind though. If I start looking to upgrade the 361 at the shop, I might end up in that region anyway. :rolleyes:
yeah thats part of the fun, going in there with a certain price range in mind then coming out having spent at least $3K more than you thought you would feeling like you have had something shoved up your a**e, until you actually ride the bike and realise it was all worth it.

plus ive heard no one makes money of a LBS so you have to help them out :)

Walrus said:
[...]

I've got a KG361 with Veloce and Proton wheels. Walrus, if you have a chance to buy this bike it is your lucky day:)

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm pretty certain I'll get one...pending a nice test ride.

RE; the Look bike (anyone else see the pun in the subject header....), if
that is $3k in Australian dollars, than that is a super deal. Hell, even if
its $3k in US dollars it is still a good deal. If they have your size, I
would jump on one immediately. I don't think you are going to find a better
better bike, and certainly not a carbon bike with a better frame for that
amount of money. Even base Giant Carbon bikes start at much more than $3k. I
say buy it!

Don't know much about Alchemy except that David McKenzie rides one. I
believe they are loacted here in Melbourne, but where are their frames made?
Anyway, the Look KG361 is such a good deal, that I wouldn't bother with the
Alchemy anyway.

Sasha

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm about 3 weeks away from getting a new bike. I want to spend
> $2500-$3000 and have scoured the market and know pretty much all
> aluminium offerings from lesser known brands like Felt and Gitane, to
> Treks, Giants, Lemond's and C'dale's.
>
> However, I was in a shop yesterday and they had a bunch of full carbon
> '2003 Look KG361's'
> (http://www.velo101.com/annonces/details.asp?Numero=47571) for $3K.
> They only have 105 and Shimano wheels, but from what I read, this is a
> beautiful frame and the only diff to the new version (KG451) is that
> the 451 has a new paintjob and an integrated headset. I asked why they
> had 2 year old bikes, and the guy said that the rep had neglected to
> clear them and offered the shop a good deal on all their 361 stock. So
> now I'm hooked and wondering whether there are any other carbon options
> in this range? Any thoughts?
>
> I know that 'Alchemy'
> (http://www.alchemybikes.com/Alchemy-Carbon-Comp-105.htm) have a carbon
> bike under $3K but when compared with a Look, it doesn't stand up. In
> your opinion, are there any other carbon options I should consider?
>
> I would upgrade the wheels and groupset on the Look over time, but
> otherwise take it as is.
>

> --
> Walrus

"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:p[email protected]...

> Sasha Wrote:
> > Anyway, the Look KG361 is such a good deal, that I wouldn't bother with
> > the
> > Alchemy anyway.
> >
> > Sasha
> >

> not only is it a good deal, it's a good bike![/color]

Well, thats kinda what I meant.....after all it wouldn't be such a good deal
if it were a s#%t bike.....

Sasha

Sasha said:
"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:p[email protected]...

> Sasha Wrote:
> > Anyway, the Look KG361 is such a good deal, that I wouldn't bother with
> > the
> > Alchemy anyway.
> >
> > Sasha
> >

> not only is it a good deal, it's a good bike![/color]

Well, thats kinda what I meant.....after all it wouldn't be such a good deal
if it were a s#%t bike.....

Sasha

> --
> ProfTournesol

Done deal, got it for $2800. I rode 3 other bikes to compare (Giant OCR Zero, Giant TCR 1 and a Look KX which was not the right size) and the KG361 was the standout. I pick it up in 2 weeks and can't wait. I'll post a couple of snaps once I have it.

Thanks to everyone for your advice...I'm pretty comfortable that I got a good deal.

Walrus said:
Done deal, got it for $2800. I rode 3 other bikes to compare (Giant OCR Zero, Giant TCR 1 and a Look KX which was not the right size) and the KG361 was the standout. I pick it up in 2 weeks and can't wait. I'll post a couple of snaps once I have it.

Thanks to everyone for your advice...I'm pretty comfortable that I got a good deal.
cycling.aus comes through again!! ;)