Looking for Value in Shoe/Pedals

Stratrider

Guest
I have been riding with Specialized Rockhopper mtn bike shoes with SPD pedals for over 4 years. They
are comfortable on and off the bike. Yet, I am thinking about going to a somewhat stiffer, lighter
shoe with a budget of sub $100. As for pedals, I continue to read about the vitues of the Egg
Beaters, the Frogs, and the Bebops. At this momement, I am leaning toward the Speedplay Frogs. Any
advice on shoes and pedals would be appreciated.

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

> I have been riding with Specialized Rockhopper mtn bike shoes with SPD pedals for over 4 years.
> They are comfortable on and off the bike. Yet, I am thinking about going to a somewhat stiffer,
> lighter shoe with a budget of sub $100. As for pedals, I continue to read about the vitues of the
> Egg Beaters, the Frogs, and the Bebops. At this momement, I am leaning toward the Speedplay Frogs.
> Any advice on shoes and pedals would be appreciated.

In the compromise between comfort and utility, I have found a very practical shoe in the Diadora
Voyager.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=8570&storetype=&estoreid=

At $69 it is a bargain. I recently purchased two pair (replacements) on sale for $49. The shoe is
not as stiff as a road shoe but comfortable and walkable like a MTB shoe. Unlike the 'knobby' MTB
shoes, the Voyager has a tread and a recessed cleat mount.

I currently use these with Eggbeaters. I've had my Eggbeaters since shortly after they came on the
market. I have not done any maintenance since I put them on my bikes. Come to think of it maybe they
are due a lube...

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been riding with Specialized Rockhopper mtn bike shoes with SPD pedals for over 4 years.
> They are comfortable on and off the bike. Yet, I am thinking about going to a somewhat stiffer,
> lighter shoe with a budget of sub $100. As for pedals, I continue to read about the vitues of the
> Egg Beaters, the Frogs, and the Bebops. At this momement, I am leaning toward the Speedplay Frogs.
> Any advice on shoes and pedals would be appreciated.

Nashbar.com, PerformanceBike.com and other shops often have excellent shoe sales. I have to
recommend Diadora shoes for amazing value and durability. They're a bona fide bargain.

Value in a pedal is entirely up to you. I have SPD type pedals (made by Wellgo) on one of my bikes.
I find their performance more than adequate, and they're extremely cheap - $17 for pedals and cleats
on sale at Nashbar. Once you find the "pocket" and get clipped-in, they're not too bad; but that's
the problem: They're a pain to get used to.

Speedplay Frogs aren't bad. I've owned a pair; but the little tiny polymer spring that basically
holds your foot from dropping straight off the pedals kinda scared me. Then one of the flimsy little
polymer springs ripped in half one day, and they were toast. That was my last try with Frogs.

Egg Beaters do look like an excellent design. I've come very close to buying a pair on sale ($60/pr
at various outlets) just to give 'em a try.

BeBops are my favorite pedals, hands down. I use them for all types of riding on all types of bikes
and terrain. The two great things about BeBops are ease of clip-in and *huge* free float. They are
an elegantly simple design, with excellent cleat retention, largest float of any pedal, lightest
pedals in the world, durable, versatile and easiest to learn how to use. Also, the large, round
cleat contact area works with regular street shoes (in a pinch). I can't say enough good things
about BeBop's. It's a shame they're kinda hard to find, and rather $pendy. Of course, Speedplays
aren't cheap either.

I encourage you to try as many pedals as you can. Try the Time ATAC's, SPD's, etc, etc. Get the
pedals that work best for you and your personal preferences. You'll be glad you did.

-Barry

[email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks Cletus. The Voyagers look real nice.
>
> Jim

Take a look at the Specialized Sport MTB shoe. It normally lists for around $65.00 but last year's
models were on sale for around $45.00 on the Specialized website recently. We use this shoe and Frog
Speedplay ATB pedals on our Columbia tandem. The shoes are stiff but comfortable and reaonably light
(lighter than the Diadora's I use with my single recumbent). And they have a wider toe box so no
scrunching of the tootsies. The shoes only come in two colors however, a green/tan suede and a
leather red (we have the latter). The Frogs, unfortunately, are never on sale. We have had good
experiences with them and have them on all our bikes. There is an existing post which discusses
problems that a rider had with the company over a defective pedal, but other than that experience I
haven't heard anything negative about them. You get plenty of float. The only drawback I have ever
found with these shoes and the pedals is that they don't pedal the bike themselves, you have to
provide the pedaling!

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

For me the best value shoe is the Sidi Dominator II Mega at $180 US, since it is the only shoe
that I have found that fits well enough and has a stiff enough sole for me to comfortably ride a
high BB bike.

For a lot of people the Mega is the only choice. If they ever quit making the Mega I guess I would
have to take up power walking or something.

Wide Feet

> For me the best value shoe is the Sidi Dominator II Mega at $180 US, since it is the only shoe
> that I have found that fits well enough and has a stiff enough sole for me to comfortably ride a
> high BB bike.

> For me the best value shoe is the Sidi Dominator II Mega at $180 US, since it is the only shoe
> that I have found that fits well enough and has a stiff enough sole for me to comfortably ride a
> high BB bike.

I fail to see how a $180 shoe classifies as a 'value' shoe. Compared to the $69 Diadora Voyager,
They would have to last 2.6 times as long (or in my case nearly 8 years) before they would prove
more valuable than my last pair of Voyagers.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

In article <jeFia.303329$F1.52212@sccrnsc04>, "Bob Wand" <[email protected]> wrote:

> For a lot of people the Mega is the only choice. If they ever quit making the Mega I guess I would
> have to take up power walking or something.
>
> Wide Feet

The Lake "Xtreme" shoes are actually a bit wider than the Sidi Mega shoes, which is a good thing as
the Mega really isn't all that wide. I can't wear the Mega, but the Lake Xtreme isn't too bad. Plus
the Sidi is some non-stretch synthetic where the the Lakes are real leather, so they'll break in to
fit a bit better as well.

-Carl

Barry,

Last year I was searching for my first clipless pedals and read many posts here and on other groups
but I never found any place to "Try" pedals as you suggest. Where is this possible?

Cletus Lee wrote:

> > For me the best value shoe is the Sidi Dominator II Mega at $180 US, since it is the only shoe
> > that I have found that fits well enough and has a stiff enough sole for me to comfortably ride a
> > high BB bike.
>
> I fail to see how a $180 shoe classifies as a 'value' shoe. Compared to the $69 Diadora Voyager,
> They would have to last 2.6 times as long (or in my case nearly 8 years) before they would prove
> more valuable than my last pair of Voyagers.

Cletus,

Would you put up with foot pain and/or toe numbness for $110 (US) for the length of time the Sidi
shoes will last?

To use an analogy, would a Cro-Moly frame road bike with comparable components to the Bacchetta Giro
a better value for you if it cost several hundred dollars less than the Giro, but you were slower on
it and suffered physical discomfort from riding it?

Carl wrote:

> In article <jeFia.303329$F1.52212@sccrnsc04>, "Bob Wand" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > For a lot of people the Mega is the only choice. If they ever quit making the Mega I guess I
> > would have to take up power walking or something.
> >
> > Wide Feet
>
> The Lake "Xtreme" shoes are actually a bit wider than the Sidi Mega shoes, which is a good thing
> as the Mega really isn't all that wide. I can't wear the Mega, but the Lake Xtreme isn't too bad.
> Plus the Sidi is some non-stretch synthetic where the the Lakes are real leather, so they'll break
> in to fit a bit better as well.

The last for the Sidi Dominator Mega could have been modeled after my feet - the fit would not be
better with custom Sidi shoes (that many professional racers wear).

> Cletus Lee wrote:

> > > For me the best value shoe is the Sidi Dominator II Mega at $180 US, since it is the only shoe
> > > that I have found that fits well enough and has a stiff enough sole for me to comfortably ride
> > > a high BB bike.
> >
> > I fail to see how a $180 shoe classifies as a 'value' shoe. Compared to the $69 Diadora Voyager,
> > They would have to last 2.6 times as long (or in my case nearly 8 years) before they would prove
> > more valuable than my last pair of Voyagers.
>
> Cletus,
>
> Would you put up with foot pain and/or toe numbness for $110 (US) for the length of time the Sidi
> shoes will last?

Just because you require a special shoe does not mean that every one (including the original poster)
needs to spend $$ on the same shoe. I'll grant you that a $70 Diadora Voyager may not meet your
particular needs but for the vast majority of us they'll do nicely.

So are your feet as big as your mouth?

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote:

> Just because you require a special shoe does not mean that every one (including the original
> poster) needs to spend $$ on the same shoe. I'll grant you that a $70 Diadora Voyager may not meet
> your particular needs but for the vast majority of us they'll do nicely.

Mr. Lee,

Please note that I wrote, "for me" and not "for everyone". Therefore, there is no rational reason
for you to post the above response.

> So are your feet as big as your mouth?

I believe the above statement speaks for itself.

Tom and Cletus,

I appreciate your respective input. My inclination at this point is to ideally try on both.
Certainly if a shoe doesn't fit and/or feel right, it's not a good value at any price. For me
though, if I can find a shoe that fits and feels right at $70, that leaves me with $110 for new
sneakers for my three girls this spring! Thanks for your input.

Jim Reilly Reading, PA 99 Stratus and soon... maybe 2003 Strada

As for pedals, I have to chime in on the eggbeater bandwagon. For the $60 bucks or so that you
can get them for, I don't know if I've seen a nicer pedal. Just started on mine, but I'm already
convinced. I switched from a bigger SPD that had all sorts of fancy controls for float, etc. Not
only were those heavy, all that control was overkill, and the larger platform made a way
annoying squeak against the rubber tread on my shoes (kind of one of those mountain bike shoe
you can walk in...)

The eggies are silent, light, and feel great.

Sj