looking for Weigle's Frame Saver in Oz?

davedbk

Jan 14, 2006
A reputable frame builder has told me that Vavoline Tectyl 506 is the same product. Available at Supercheap Auto.

If for some reason you cannot get your hands on it, CRC Long Life was recommended.

I used the 506 (areosol) the other day. It didn't come with a long thin nozzle but I borrowed my wd-40 nozzle. It's pretty messy stuff - you'll need to drop sheet if you don't want it on whatever you're standing on.

Make sure you clear the nozzle with wd-40 when you've finished, or it'll be a throw-away. :)

davedbk said:
A reputable frame builder has told me that Vavoline Tectyl 506 is the same product. Available at Supercheap Auto.

If for some reason you cannot get your hands on it, CRC Long Life was recommended.

I used the 506 (areosol) the other day. It didn't come with a long thin nozzle but I borrowed my wd-40 nozzle. It's pretty messy stuff - you'll need to drop sheet if you don't want it on whatever you're standing on.

Make sure you clear the nozzle with wd-40 when you've finished, or it'll be a throw-away. :)

This is very good to know.

BTW. Back in the Dark Ages, regular motor oil was poured into the (steel) frame to coat the inner walls of the tubes ... the frame moved around to ensure full coverage ... and then, the excess oil was drained out. As you can readily imagine, this had the postential to be a messy process.

In 2004 i tried to find Frame Saver for a steel frame, but couldn't get, although I was very impatient -- I just wandted to ride my new frame.
Anyway, a panel beater suggested spray-on fish oil, as he said it does the same thing. This was not a great idea, because 1) it stunk for many days, 2) was impossible to get good coverage, and 3) it bloody well washed off one day after i got some water in the frame after heavy road spray!!!!! :D

Lanotek Lanolin seems to be the go around here for people building up vintage steel bikes.
I used it in my Fargo and it seems to do a good job.
It sprays in quite thin so you can put in a fair bit and move the frame around for complete coverage then allow the excess to drain for a few days. As it dries it leaves a waxy film.
I think I got mine from a Repco auto spares shop.