Looking into buying a Trek FX

CSpeedster

Mar 30, 2007
I need to get a bike that I can use on the road easy. I was going to upgrade my crosscountry/deep country bike with new forks and street tires... but I think I'm better off buying a whole new bike since that would cost me like $400 and change Canadian.

I've been looking at the Fx series and am bough on the line really.. I plan on using this to comute to work and for fitness 2-6hour trips! but primary use will be to get around.

Ive been looking at the 7.2fx, 7.3fx and 7.5fx. I can only buy the 7.2 with my current $$$ but may wait and save for a higher model.

Some of my questions to you leet bikers out there are:

1- whats the diff in Alpha SL Aluminum and FX Alpha Hydroformed frames. (well I know the hydroformed is lighter ofc its skinnier.. but does it obsorb vibrations more? is it less flexable?).

2- on the 7.5fx there are less spokes, does this mean they will need to be tuned more often? and I'm guessing they would be easier to tune, would it be easy to tune by myself?

I'm fairly heavy on my pedaling, I like going fast and my current mountain bike has mainly xt/xtx parts.. and I'm not sre if the 7.2fx will last me to long with its cheaper cranks and Alivio derailer... I think I could wear them out faster than the higher end parts but the 7.3fx still uses a lower end front derailer.. shimano C102, is that fairly low end?

Thanks for your time! I know its alot of questions but I'm fairly picky + this bike will last me years! oh and to aford the 7.5fx I would need a job which I havent got atm.. but soon will have :eek: .

CSpeedster said:
I need to get a bike that I can use on the road easy. I was going to upgrade my crosscountry/deep country bike with new forks and street tires... but I think I'm better off buying a whole new bike since that would cost me like $400 and change Canadian.

I've been looking at the Fx series and am bough on the line really.. I plan on using this to comute to work and for fitness 2-6hour trips! but primary use will be to get around.

Ive been looking at the 7.2fx, 7.3fx and 7.5fx. I can only buy the 7.2 with my current $$$ but may wait and save for a higher model.

Some of my questions to you leet bikers out there are:

1- whats the diff in Alpha SL Aluminum and FX Alpha Hydroformed frames. (well I know the hydroformed is lighter ofc its skinnier.. but does it obsorb vibrations more? is it less flexable?).

2- on the 7.5fx there are less spokes, does this mean they will need to be tuned more often? and I'm guessing they would be easier to tune, would it be easy to tune by myself?

I'm fairly heavy on my pedaling, I like going fast and my current mountain bike has mainly xt/xtx parts.. and I'm not sre if the 7.2fx will last me to long with its cheaper cranks and Alivio derailer... I think I could wear them out faster than the higher end parts but the 7.3fx still uses a lower end front derailer.. shimano C102, is that fairly low end?

Thanks for your time! I know its alot of questions but I'm fairly picky + this bike will last me years! oh and to aford the 7.5fx I would need a job which I havent got atm.. but soon will have :eek: .
Closed... I made a new post cycling equipment area. http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=3225425#post3225425