looking out for 25.4 quill stems

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Garry Broad, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    Hi, I have a new bike - another secondhand one - mountain bike, rigid fork, 21 speed, and quite a
    nice light frame [handbuilt Saracen, whatever they are]. Thing is, the reach and height of the
    handlebars is not entirely to my liking and I'd like to raise it by an inch or so and extend the
    reach slightly.

    Has anybody got any 135-150mm, 20 degree+, 100mm+ length, 25.4 quill stems they'd be happy to
    part with.

    I've had no luck locally with the LBS.

    If you want to contact privately then:

    [email protected]

    Many thanks Garry

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Garry Broad wrote:
    > Has anybody got any 135-150mm, 20 degree+, 100mm+ length, 25.4 quill stems they'd be happy to
    > part with.

    Is the 100mm the vertical shaft length and 135-150 the horizontal extension or the other way round?

    Are any on the SJS site suitable? : www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

    (Sorry I haven't got any stems for sale at the moment).

    ~PB

  3. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:29:23 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
    <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:

    >Garry Broad wrote:
    >> Has anybody got any 135-150mm, 20 degree+, 100mm+ length, 25.4 quill stems they'd be happy to
    >> part with.
    >
    >Is the 100mm the vertical shaft length and 135-150 the horizontal extension or the other way round?

    Sorry yes, the 135-150mm refers to the 'reach', the horizontal extension and the 100+ to
    the vertical.

    >Are any on the SJS site suitable? : www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

    Yes, I did have a look at these and there are one or two there that might do the job, but in all
    honesty I'm reluctant to spend too much on one just at the moment, as the bike only cost about £15
    in the first place!! [I've get this strange kind of satisfaction from maintaining 'cheap
    transport'....only to then wander down the pub and spend 25 quid on Guinness watching Becks sky a
    penalty yesterday!!]. Having said that, if it's the difference between comfort and discomfort then
    it's money well spent in getting it sorted.

    And refering to your other post Pete, thanks for the suggestion of using an ahead adaptor, hadn't
    thought of that, good idea. I wasn't intending to get into ahead stems until at least another 10
    years or so, when they might start appearing down at the dumps :)

    many thanks Garry

    >(Sorry I haven't got any stems for sale at the moment).
    >
    >~PB

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:29:23 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
    > <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Garry Broad wrote:
    > >> Has anybody got any 135-150mm, 20 degree+, 100mm+ length, 25.4 quill stems they'd be happy to
    > >> part with.
    > >
    > >Is the 100mm the vertical shaft length and 135-150 the horizontal extension or the other
    > >way round?
    >
    > Sorry yes, the 135-150mm refers to the 'reach', the horizontal extension and the 100+ to the
    > vertical.
    >
    > >Are any on the SJS site suitable? : www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm
    >
    > Yes, I did have a look at these and there are one or two there that might do the job, but in all
    > honesty I'm reluctant to spend too much on one just at the moment, as the bike only cost about £15
    > in the first place!!

    Settle do a long adjustable one that's quite cheap (13sq?). It's not great (a bit soft) but it does
    appear to work. It's bigger than most ahead/adapter solutions I could find.

    cheers, clive

  5. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    >Settle do a long adjustable one that's quite cheap (13sq?). It's not great (a bit soft) but it does
    >appear to work. It's bigger than most ahead/adapter solutions I could find.

    Yeah, thanks, I did in fact come across this after I'd posted his original message...it could well
    be the best option.

    cheers gb