Looking to bike Newfoundland, Canada

Rcoop

Mar 18, 2011
Hey guys, I am completely new to cycling. In fact I don't even own a bicycle. I've been thinking though that I'd love to bike across Newfoundland (approx 510miles) for charity. I was thinking I could complete this a year from now, within 2 days. I have no idea if this would be possible or complete possible? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have no idea about Newfoundland, i reside on the west coast of Canada but a quick search found this
http://www.atlanticcanadacycling.com/newfoundland
Maybe its helpful with an itinery that you could start with.

I think what vspa was saying that, 510 miles in two days is a lot of biking, were you planning to be on the bike 18 hours a day?

Originally Posted by coneofsilence .

I have no idea about Newfoundland, i reside on the west coast of Canada but a quick search found this
http://www.atlanticcanadacycling.com/newfoundland
Maybe its helpful with an itinery that you could start with.

I think what vspa was saying that, 510 miles in two days is a lot of biking, were you planning to be on the bike 18 hours a day?
yeah, well people say dreaming is free, a well trained cyclist could do 10 hours maybe, in a flat course, with light panniers,

If 2 days seems like a lot to strive for, there's no reason I can't take more time. Just trying to get a gauge of what you guys would deem reasonable, since like I said, I really have no idea. Thanks for the responses thus far

I would probably strive for 5 days which leaves you 100 miles a day, which is 7-8 hours of riding a day. In cycling terms, riding 100 miles in a day is a great feat and one that most cyclists try to achieve. You would have to back up this feat 5 days in a row, which makes it all the more challenging but for a charity, all the more worthy.
I would definitely give it a shot, if you think you can do it. See if you can borrow a bike from a friend and take it for a spin. See how many miles you can do in an hour and then work from there. I would say the average cyclist would average 10-15 mile per hour especially with a fully loaded bike. You will get a guage on how you feel and how you think you would feel with bags carrying your items etc.

Reactions: Rcoop