Looking to buy in $3000 range, and eBay advice...

jmm279

Sep 9, 2007
What's up guys. Right now, I have a Felt F70 purchased a couple years ago mostly for cross-training purposes (my main sport is rowing). Now, I am starting to get into cycling more and more (I completed my first century, and lets just say it was an incredible experience). I am looking to upgrade my current bike and am looking to spend about $3000 on a new complete setup (I would be willing to go more if the bike is worth it). I have been looking at Specialized, Cannondale, Kuota, and possibly Cervelo. I'm a pretty big guy (6'4", 197#) so I'm looking for a bike that is stiff, light and responsive, yet comfortable. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO, in my search for a new bike, I have been looking a good amount on eBay for deals. Has anyone had experiences, either good or bad, with buying a bike or components on eBay? Also, what about selling bike equipment (eBay is probably where my old Felt will be sold). Thanks for all your input.

Beware! eBay is rife with fraud; things like "second chance" offers where the offering dude is somebody other than the original lister of the item. I'd recommend looking for bikes within 50 miles (or 100, or whatever) of your location and then ontacting the seller directly so you can (1) verify that the bike exists and (2) take it for a test ride. I did this with my last purchase. Tried 3 bikes from different sellers, settled on an Aegis Aro Svelte with full 9sp Dura Ace gruppo for $1275. I ended up paying a bit over the seller's auction reserve price (which he showed me on his seller's listing) and got him to pull the auction and sell to me directly for cash. I even got him to sign a "for real" bill of sale in which he attested that the bike was his and not stolen.

My sons' have done the full auction route on eBay, one with a Scott CR1/105 for $1,500 and the other a nice tricked out Jamis for $800. You money will go a lot farther buying used. The son who bought the Jamis said he had bid on several bikes, but had run into several attempted scams. So.....be careful. "It's a jungle out there."

jmm279 said:
What's up guys. Right now, I have a Felt F70 purchased a couple years ago mostly for cross-training purposes (my main sport is rowing). Now, I am starting to get into cycling more and more (I completed my first century, and lets just say it was an incredible experience). I am looking to upgrade my current bike and am looking to spend about $3000 on a new complete setup (I would be willing to go more if the bike is worth it). I have been looking at Specialized, Cannondale, Kuota, and possibly Cervelo. I'm a pretty big guy (6'4", 197#) so I'm looking for a bike that is stiff, light and responsive, yet comfortable. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO, in my search for a new bike, I have been looking a good amount on eBay for deals. Has anyone had experiences, either good or bad, with buying a bike or components on eBay? Also, what about selling bike equipment (eBay is probably where my old Felt will be sold). Thanks for all your input.
I have bought and sold on ebay, if you're looking to spend that much money on a bike I would suggest buying it locally, sure you'll probably pay a little more but think of the benefits, if something goes wrong with it you can just take it back and they'll repair it for you; if you buy on ebay, where are you going to take it to?
If you 're not familiar with bikes brands, components or how to repair them, stick with a local; if you buy around late fall you can ussually get a better deal than ebay on most bike shops, they ussually try to clear out the years inventory for the new models that come out right after Interbike show in Vegas.
Also beware of damage frames, with the carbon frames it could have a hair line crack and you would not be able to see it untill is too late; I would not trust buying a used carbon frame from ebay; that's just my personal opinion.

Good Luck

oh man...if i was spending $3k the last place i'd buy is ebay. your LBS should really treat you right for that kind of money. plus, all the '08 bikes should be coming in shortly or already have and you can likely get a great price on an '07 if look long enough.

To provide a bit of an opposite view.....I've got five bikes, four of them were purchased through auctions on eBay. Two as complete bikes, two as frames and components. You can do well on eBay if you're careful. Most sellers are honest people, just like you, but there are a few who will rip you off and laugh about it. a few of my suggestions:
1) get lots of pictures of the item
2) check on the seller's feedback. Not just how much but what people actually are writing about their transactions. You can contact people who have done business with the seller and get an even better picture of how they were to deal with. Deware of people who have under 50 transactions associated with them (people with 1 or 2 or 5 transactions can often be hit and run scammers)
3) be aware of the location an item is at (eastern europe should be avoided)
4) be aware of how much buyer protection is offered. If it's only $200.00, then that's the amount you need to stay under when buying from someone. IF it's $2000.00, that's the amount you need to remain under. Familiarize yourself with Buyer protection, it will save you if you are scammed
5) I always ask if I the buyer minds if I come and pick up the item, rather than shipping it, even if I have no intention of actually picking it up in person. Honest buyers have no problem with this. Scammers (who don't actually HAVE the item they're selling) will not allow you to pick the item up personally. It's a good indication
6) Be VERY careful of second chance offers
7) Know exactly what you want before bidding

Hope that helps. If you're careful, and know what you want, you can get some real bargains on eBay. Good luck!

ff

FriendlyFred said:
(eastern europe should be avoided)
This is very unfair statement- in my opinion it is simply myth, witch by the way affects a lot of people. If sellers feedback is firmly positive, then why shoud You avoid him just because of geographical location. I am not seller but I am from Eastern Europe (from Latvia), and I have 100% positive feedback, I have dealed with seller from Ukraina, just like with UK or USA sellers and had no problems at all. Maybe I am just lucky? In my opinion thiefs are in every region- to avoid them read the feedbacks.

I was also looking at ebay but instead found a new Felt Z25 at my LBS at such a deal I could not pass it by. When spending 3k, a LBS will give you the fitting and expertise you deserve for spending that amount of money. Note at year end, your LBS will have 20% + off sales on '07 models.I bought my first bike, a F70 on ebay andsoldit on Craigs List

jmm279 said:

I was also looking at ebay but instead found a new Felt Z25 at my LBS at such a deal (30% off) I could not pass it by. Look for a deal at the LBS. When spending $3k, a LBS will give you the fitting and expertise you deserve for spending that amount of money. Note at year end, your LBS will have 20% + off sales on '07 models.I bought my first bike, a F70 on ebay and sold it on Craigs List which I think is great for a FIRST bike, not when upgrading to a higher end bike.

jmm279 said:

karczag said:
I was also looking at ebay but instead found a new Felt Z25 at my LBS at such a deal (30% off) I could not pass it by. Look for a deal at the LBS. When spending $3k, a LBS will give you the fitting and expertise you deserve for spending that amount of money. Note at year end, your LBS will have 20% + off sales on '07 models.I bought my first bike, a F70 on ebay and sold it on Craigs List which I think is great for a FIRST bike, not when upgrading to a higher end bike.
Hey, I actually currently have a Felt F70, how much did you sell yours for? Just wanted to get a ballpark figure.

FriendlyFred said:
To provide a bit of an opposite view.....I've got five bikes, four of them were purchased through auctions on eBay. Two as complete bikes, two as frames and components. You can do well on eBay if you're careful. Most sellers are honest people, just like you, but there are a few who will rip you off and laugh about it. a few of my suggestions:
1) get lots of pictures of the item
2) check on the seller's feedback. Not just how much but what people actually are writing about their transactions. You can contact people who have done business with the seller and get an even better picture of how they were to deal with. Deware of people who have under 50 transactions associated with them (people with 1 or 2 or 5 transactions can often be hit and run scammers)
3) be aware of the location an item is at (eastern europe should be avoided)
4) be aware of how much buyer protection is offered. If it's only $200.00, then that's the amount you need to stay under when buying from someone. IF it's $2000.00, that's the amount you need to remain under. Familiarize yourself with Buyer protection, it will save you if you are scammed
5) I always ask if I the buyer minds if I come and pick up the item, rather than shipping it, even if I have no intention of actually picking it up in person. Honest buyers have no problem with this. Scammers (who don't actually HAVE the item they're selling) will not allow you to pick the item up personally. It's a good indication
6) Be VERY careful of second chance offers
7) Know exactly what you want before bidding

Hope that helps. If you're careful, and know what you want, you can get some real bargains on eBay. Good luck!

ff
+1 on this. To me the two main pitfalls of ebay are (1) people bid stuff up to just ridiculous prices being that the items are used and unseen and (2) you can WASTE A LOT OF TIME trying to get that last little bit of a "good deal".

But I agree that most ebay sellers (all that I've dealt with) are honest and the if you're careful you can get good things for good prices.

Remember to factor in the "opportunity cost" of the time you spend looking, bidding and waiting. Remember to factor in the cost of shipping. Remember to factor in that you're buyin used even if it's "like new". Remember to factor in that you'll be paying for every little modification and adjustment service while many or most of those things are free if you buy a new bike at LBS.

I wouldn't have bought my bike on ebay except that good to high end used bikes are just not available in my town, and new bikes are usually selling at retail. I found what I was looking for at a fair, but not tremendous price. I'm happy but can't brag that I "stole" it. I just bought what I thought was a fair deal to avoid wasting hours and hours and hours searching, bidding, waiting.

Orginally asked $650, wound up selling it for $500

jmm279 said:
Hey, I actually currently have a Felt F70, how much did you sell yours for? Just wanted to get a ballpark figure.