looking to cut weight...... lots of it

Mike Wing

Jul 20, 2012
hey everyone, i currently weigh almost 230lb (i know its sick) and i am looking to hit the gym all winter in preparation for training first thing next summer..... my brother has been cycling for about a year now and is in really really good shape and i would like to be out performing him by the end of next summer. does anyone have any tips, workouts, supplements, dietary advice, or gym training that might help? id like to loose 30 this winter if possible.

any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

At 230lbs ur interest in cycling is a good one to loose weight. Any low intensity high duration activety will shed fat the most. At 230 cycling is also alot easier on ur knees than walking or running.The first thing u need to do is gradually adjust ur diet. Any drastic changes in eating will lead to intense cravings. In the gym choose lighter weights that allow u to complete 15-20 reps. Perform basic compound excercises. Warm up and cool down on a bicycle machine for 15mins. Most importantly is to be patient and listen to your body. Gradual weight is the safe and best way to go. good luck

Originally Posted by Mike Wing .

hey everyone, i currently weigh almost 230lb (i know its sick) and i am looking to hit the gym all winter in preparation for training first thing next summer..... my brother has been cycling for about a year now and is in really really good shape and i would like to be out performing him by the end of next summer. does anyone have any tips, workouts, supplements, dietary advice, or gym training that might help? id like to loose 30 this winter if possible.

Thanks,
Mike
I'd go with the advice about losing weight slowly. Drastic and quick weight loss isn't good for your system and it leaves you open to the possibility of regaining weight quickly.

I think you should devote some thought to cross training to aid you in a weight loss programme.
A colleague swears by running : doing a moderate amount of running followed by a spinning (cycling) session or swimming session.

Calorie intake measured against calorie output is another method to consider.

I wouldn't wait.... I'd start the cycling and dieting NOW.

Last November I read a piece on-line that mentioned that obese people tend to gain more over the holidays than normal weight people (5 pounds or more compared to 2 or 3 pounds).... AND... the obese tend to never lose the gained weight.

Never losing.... was a sobering thought for me. I was already a cyclist... and a fat pig. So I started watching what I ate the week before thanksgiving. I was determined NOT to gain weight. Surprisingly... just passing on "entertainment eating" caused me to lose 12 pounds. I thought when cycling season rolled around... the pounds would just melt off. I was wrong!

On May15th I added a strict regiment of a calorie counting diet (I use an android app that tracks my food and exercise), combined with a solid cycling training program. I quickly learned what foods I was eating that had been packing on the pounds. Late night sandwiches with potato chips... for the most part had added on the weight little by little. I no-longer eat chips or other similar snack-like products. Since May 15th I've loss 55 more pounds and I am within ounces of my idea weight. Who would have ever guessed... the secret to weight loss appears to be: diet and exercise.

I am just starting with a little walk/run exercise now. I know my knees would never had held up to this before. Cycling is perfect for burning calories without ruining joints.

Well I’m not obese by any stretch of the imagination but I could be in much much better shape. My ideal weight would be 180 but with the weight training I do chances are 190-200 are more realistic. This summer I started eating healthy and exercising 5 days a week (25 minutes on a stationary bike and 30-40 minutes weight training) and in 3 months I lost 20 pounds. Gained a few back in the last few weeks unfortunately. I started at 240 and am sitting at about 225 right now. I don’t think it would be unhealthy to be at 195 by June. I just want to be able to get low in the drops without my gut getting in the way. So I think I’m going to stick to what I’m doing and hope I can keep myself motivated.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

[SIZE= 12px].... This summer I started eating healthy and exercising 5 days a week (25 minutes on a stationary bike .....[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]Mike[/SIZE]
I wish I had your gumption! I've tried using my exercise bike for winter training... and can't even force myself.

I don't really know any body-building cyclist... (although I am sure there has to be some). But generally cyclist tend to try to reduce weight to the lowest point possible. Upper body strength isn't nearly as important as the legs. So... I have no idea how difficult it might be for you to get into the drops. I don't get down to the drops all that often... mostly just to cut wind resistance... in my case that means windy days. But getting low on descents is normal also.

I spend most of my time riding with my hands on the brake hoods... sort like the half-way position. I think most cyclist ride most of the time... on the hoods. Often times (even when cycling at a decent speed) I will set up a little and put my hands on the top part of the handlebar (AKA the tops). Riding on the tops allows me to stretch my neck and back and relax my arms a bit as well.

I don't think you'd have much of a problem with the tops, or the hoods, even at your current weight. And dropping to the drops didn't seem to reduce my drag on the wind all that much anyway when I was bigger. But when faced with a 40MPH cross-wind... I got as tiny as a big man could get. I'd bet you could reach the drops just fine too.

ya stationary bikes suck but when you get off the bike and there are pools of sweat on the floor its a nice feeling..... people at the gym look at you like your a lunatic but you feel good. good music keeps you going. I've been on the stationary for an hour at a time and a solid playlist is the key.

.... I've been on the stationary for an hour at a time and a solid playlist is the key.
I've recently taken up a before breakfast (but after coffee) 3K walk-run (I have a 5K race in mind)... and just started using a MP3 player for the first time. I am just catching on to the use of music with a work-out. Thanks I will try music with the stationary bike as well.

Thanks,
Mike
I was 218, now I'm 165-7. I had always run/cycled and was very active. In one year I dropped the weigh by dumping junk food for vegetables. No rocket science. I cut back on all forms of carbs and meat, but still ate both, just in smaller amounts. Everyone responds in their own way, so I do not think what worked for me, is best for everyone. I did see a doctor a couple of times to check my blood chemistry and such. His suggestion on supplements was neutral, but felt relying on them was a mistake. This was an extreme effort.

I've lost 50-60 lbs cycling in the last year. I started riding during my lunch break, and then for 90 mins after work. The best advice I could offer you, is to go slowly. I'm currently experiencing knee pain from excessive hill climbing. Its enticing to go work your body as hard as possible, because the weight just melts off. Keep in mind that you can damage your body by overcycling. i wish somebody had told me that when i first began.

Diet is every bit as important as exercise. I have complete changed my food intake. Couldnt tell you the last time i ate a pizza or a cheeseburger. I found that my mood improved considerably after about 6-9 month of health eating. Unfortunately, its the drinking that is my biggest hurdle. im 26 and drink 5-7 drinks nightly, and 15-20 when i go out on weekends. I'm finding that no matter how hard i workout, or diet during the week, its difficult to counter this excessive calorie intake.

my opinion is that the best way to lose weight is swimming and running, I go running quite regularly, every third day, and I have already noticed the good results, so far I have been 3 times and I already have lost 2 Kg. I am not fat but I want to get an even better shape and drop my body fat percentage around 15%, cycling is less demanding/rewarding and swimming more

willy81 said:
my opinion is that the best way to lose weight is swimming and running, I go running quite regularly, every third day, and I have already noticed the good results, so far I have been 3 times and I already have lost 2 Kg. I am not fat but I want to get an even better shape and drop my body fat percentage around 15%, cycling is less demanding/rewarding and swimming more
The weight can just as easily be dropped by cycling, and all the people that have lost great weight via cycling and proper eating are proof of that. If you find that the cycling isn't demanding enough, all you need to do is increase your efforts on the bike.

I find running more rewarding for me regarding body fat loss I will try swimming sometime in the future. Cycling is great and I practice it as my regular sport, not as a way to reduce body fat. with running your stamina is also increased, probably my body works differently and that shows on my bike sessions.

Swimming after a hard run completes the cycle. Getting a nice relax without tiring your legs feels godly.

I have done many things to be slim like slimming pills and slimming tea also but it is not effective I have done exercise/walking/swimming but there was no effect now I am doing cycling and using a ventouse minceur slimming product and it is really very effective.

for me Cycling is not the best way to get rid of your extra fat, running is much better/easier way,

Originally Posted by willy81 .

for me Cycling is not the best way to get rid of your extra fat,
running is much better/easier way,
I've noticed this as I've got old. My metabolism is slowing so I use running to supplement my cycling. It works for me.