looking to get started on road riding

steveb_uk2002

Jul 21, 2004
hi all, i already do quite a lot of mountain biking and i am looking to get started on some road riding. i need some help on which bike to buy, clothing, pedals ect. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers

There are lots of threads about this, plus a sticky. Check out roadbikereview.com too. And try stuff out, talk to other riders, in person, while riding.

steveb_uk2002 said:
hi all, i already do quite a lot of mountain biking and i am looking to get started on some road riding. i need some help on which bike to buy, clothing, pedals ect. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers
Looking to spend $100 or $5000? If a larger amount always go for the most bling or poseur points.

boudreaux said:
Looking to spend $100 or $5000? If a larger amount always go for the most bling or poseur points.
not looking to spend a huge amount really, seen as i am just staring out. i am going on my hols 2moro so i am gonna get down to my lbs when im back and get some advice there. thanks for the help guys, any more is welcome

steveb_uk2002 said:
not looking to spend a huge amount really, seen as i am just staring out. i am going on my hols 2moro so i am gonna get down to my lbs when im back and get some advice there. thanks for the help guys, any more is welcome
I came the same route a few years ago - got back into cycling via the MTB, after a couple of years noticed that I liked the ride to and from the singletrack more than the singletrack. A few things I noticed:

Bike - decent road bikes start at around $1k. Might look at used bikes, they don't get near the abuse of the MTB so they last a lot longer. Trek 2300, Lemond Buenos Aires are both good entry level road bikes. Used, $500 should net you a nice 2-3 year old 105 or Ultegra equipped bike.

pedals - if you have shimano pedals/shoes for the MTB, you might just move the pedals over so you don't have to buy new pedals and shoes. Eventually, you will want dedicated road pedals, but you can save some bucks right off.

riding - riding the MTB doesn't do much for your endurance. I thought I was hot stuff on the MTB, until a couple of dedicated roadies took me out and humiliated me on a 2 mile long hillclimb.