Looking To Get Started.

darkwindx25

Aug 2, 2015
Hello everyone. I've recently become interested in getting into cycling. Currently I own a mountain bike, its probably over 10 years old. There are so many different brands and styles I don't even know where to start. i'll probably be mostly riding easier trails and around town. I had undergone knee surgery this past January and can no longer run with out pain, the impact in the joint isn't very fun. However riding a bike doesn't bother me. I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction for a decent new starter bike, maybe something around $400-450? I also wouldn't mind any tips on accessories I should buy and things to take with me while out riding.

Damien Lee

May 16, 2015
If your existing mountain bike is still in decent condition, there really is no need to upgrade to a new bike anytime soon. Cycling is an awesome pastime and a great way to stay fit and healthy. But many folks give up after a couple of weeks and months while having splashed on a bike, that will just sit in the attic collecting dust. Therefore it's better to ride your current bike around for a couple of weeks before deciding to commit further financially. There's really only two accessories you should consider now, a helmet and a pair of cycling sunglasses. You should be good in the meantime until you decide to further pursue cycling.

Sunflogun

Apr 20, 2015
One thing I can advise you is to invest a little more and buy at a bike store. Don't buy them at supermarkets or similar or else you won't get a correctly assembled bike.

Keyan

Jul 7, 2015
Why not stick with the old bike if it is still in good shape? Is the knee problem now totally good and can you safely ride a bike without worries? It would also help you decide what kind of commitment are you able to give to this activity. If a simple and plain old bike can do the job then by all means keep the old bike. What is the use of getting a new one if you can only use it for a limited time because you probably figured that this activity does not fit you any longer

darkwindx25

Aug 2, 2015
Keyan said:
Why not stick with the old bike if it is still in good shape? Is the knee problem now totally good and can you safely ride a bike without worries? It would also help you decide what kind of commitment are you able to give to this activity. If a simple and plain old bike can do the job then by all means keep the old bike. What is the use of getting a new one if you can only use it for a limited time because you probably figured that this activity does not fit you any longer
yeah my knee is kind of stupid, let me see. i cant run because i get a sharp pain in the joint, its the impact that bothers it, same if i were to jump. however light squats and deadlifts don't really bother me. i've mainly been a weight lifter and i would run for my cardio. so i need something new i can do instead of running.

darkwindx25

Aug 2, 2015
Sunflogun said:
One thing I can advise you is to invest a little more and buy at a bike store. Don't buy them at supermarkets or similar or else you won't get a correctly assembled bike.
i got it 10 years ago from a sporting goods store. its nothing fancy. i see all these videos on youtube of people getting fitted for there bikes. well i can safely say i basically bought it and walked out. that was about it.