Looking To Get Started.

darkwindx25

Aug 2, 2015
Hello everyone. I've recently become interested in getting into cycling. Currently I own a mountain bike, its probably over 10 years old. There are so many different brands and styles I don't even know where to start. i'll probably be mostly riding easier trails and around town. I had undergone knee surgery this past January and can no longer run with out pain, the impact in the joint isn't very fun. However riding a bike doesn't bother me. I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction for a decent new starter bike, maybe something around $400-450? I also wouldn't mind any tips on accessories I should buy and things to take with me while out riding.

If your existing mountain bike is still in decent condition, there really is no need to upgrade to a new bike anytime soon. Cycling is an awesome pastime and a great way to stay fit and healthy. But many folks give up after a couple of weeks and months while having splashed on a bike, that will just sit in the attic collecting dust. Therefore it's better to ride your current bike around for a couple of weeks before deciding to commit further financially. There's really only two accessories you should consider now, a helmet and a pair of cycling sunglasses. You should be good in the meantime until you decide to further pursue cycling.

One thing I can advise you is to invest a little more and buy at a bike store. Don't buy them at supermarkets or similar or else you won't get a correctly assembled bike.

Why not stick with the old bike if it is still in good shape? Is the knee problem now totally good and can you safely ride a bike without worries? It would also help you decide what kind of commitment are you able to give to this activity. If a simple and plain old bike can do the job then by all means keep the old bike. What is the use of getting a new one if you can only use it for a limited time because you probably figured that this activity does not fit you any longer

Keyan said:
Why not stick with the old bike if it is still in good shape? Is the knee problem now totally good and can you safely ride a bike without worries? It would also help you decide what kind of commitment are you able to give to this activity. If a simple and plain old bike can do the job then by all means keep the old bike. What is the use of getting a new one if you can only use it for a limited time because you probably figured that this activity does not fit you any longer
yeah my knee is kind of stupid, let me see. i cant run because i get a sharp pain in the joint, its the impact that bothers it, same if i were to jump. however light squats and deadlifts don't really bother me. i've mainly been a weight lifter and i would run for my cardio. so i need something new i can do instead of running.

Sunflogun said:
One thing I can advise you is to invest a little more and buy at a bike store. Don't buy them at supermarkets or similar or else you won't get a correctly assembled bike.
i got it 10 years ago from a sporting goods store. its nothing fancy. i see all these videos on youtube of people getting fitted for there bikes. well i can safely say i basically bought it and walked out. that was about it.