Looking to move up

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by John Halliburto, May 19, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I've had a Limbo for almost two seasons now, but feel the need to move up. The Limbo's been fine to
    learn on, but initially switching from 21lb upright road machines to the Limbo has been a bit of a
    let down in the speed arena. The rear shock definitely absorbs power, even after matching the spring
    to my clydesdale range. Yesterday, I went to a LBS and test rode a Burley Hep Cat, Rans Rocket, Rans
    VRex, and Lightning Thunderbolt. I liked the ride on all of them, and the only things that I noticed
    were the seat on the Lightning, where the bottom part of their frame hits my hips just by the front
    of the joint to the thigh, and the Lightning's locking tilt steering column. I was surprised by the
    ride of the Rocket, very nimble and quick feeling, but it felt like it could be comfortable on a
    long ride. I thought the Hep Cat rode the best, but that could be due to familiarity with the Burley
    style of recumbent. It felt nicely responsive, enough spring in the frame, yet stiffer than the
    Limbo. The VRex probably had the stiffest ride, built for more serious riding. The Thunderbolt was
    going to be the best feeling, except for the way the seat hit my hips. Not sure if that would be
    truely uncomfortable after a decent ride, but that was the impression it was giving
    me.Any opinions? I will most likely be selling the Limbo soon, in order to help underwrite
    the upgrade.

    Best regards,

    John

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "John Halliburton" <[email protected]ritech.net> wrote in message
    news:vSeya.19183$%[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had a Limbo for almost two seasons now, but feel the need to move up. The Limbo's been fine
    > to learn on, but initially switching from 21lb
    upright
    > road machines to the Limbo has been a bit of a let down in the speed
    arena.
    > The rear shock definitely absorbs power, even after matching the spring to my clydesdale range.
    > Yesterday, I went to a LBS and test rode a Burley Hep Cat, Rans Rocket,
    Rans
    > VRex, and Lightning Thunderbolt. I liked the ride on all of them, and the only things that I
    > noticed were the seat on the Lightning, where the
    bottom
    > part of their frame hits my hips just by the front of the joint to the thigh, and the Lightning's
    > locking tilt steering column. I was surprised by the ride of the Rocket, very nimble and quick
    > feeling, but it felt like it could be comfortable on a long ride. I thought the Hep Cat rode the
    > best, but that could be due to familiarity with the Burley style of recumbent. It felt nicely
    > responsive, enough spring in the frame, yet stiffer than the Limbo. The VRex probably had the
    > stiffest ride, built
    for
    > more serious riding. The Thunderbolt was going to be the best feeling, except for the way the seat
    > hit my hips. Not sure if that would be truely uncomfortable after a decent ride, but that was the
    > impression it was
    giving
    > me.Any opinions?

    John, I haven't ridden a Limbo or Thunderbolt; but I agree with your assessment of the other bikes
    on your list. Your experience agrees with mine 100%. When I test rode the Burley Django (almost
    identical to the Hepcat), I found it to be wonderfully responsive, quick and comfortable - better
    than I had expected. It was also the easiest to mount/dismount. At $999 on sale, I almost bought it
    on the spot. The V-Rex was actually the best climber I've ridden yet, and a very good all-around
    performer. But I ended up with a slightly-used 2000 RANS Rocket. At $550 + shipping, including the
    RANS seatbag and other goodies, it was an unqualified bargain. I've not yet ridden the Rocket on
    anything longer than a 50 mile ride; but it was very, very comfortable. I'm hoping to do a century
    this year.

    -Barry