Looking to replace bike I just broke... plz help

Boltz

Apr 20, 2006
In the summer I ride every other day on a SUPER long trail that is very close to my house. Im in the middle of the path and you can either take the paved route to chicago or the tightly packed dirt with minimal gravel to wisconsin. Most of the time I am not riding on the road, but I would like to get into that more this year. Im young and in good shape, if that matters.

Anyway, I was on my trail 2 days ago and I had catastrophic failures with my bike (25th anniv. fuji MTB w/a few upgrades) The gear selector broke and so did the cable going to the actual "chain guider/phsycial gear selector". There are also a few other things on the bike which make me feel that I should save the money spent repairing and just buy new.

Id like something faster, lighter and with maybe a hybrid tire because I really can't justify a full MTB tire for what I do on my bike. I use it mainly for fun and for cardio.

Heres what I want to be able to do;

-Go fast on the road, I love speed
-Still be able to ride the dry tight packed dirt trail without worrying about bending a wheel on a "pothole"
-Have an exciting bike to ride
-Have a bike im not afriad to ride and possibly damage

How are the straight up hybrid bikes? -they seemed queer to me when I went into the "bike rack" with their weird handles and all. Looked like a bike for a middle aged person.

Should I look into a suspension system? Or would that cause more resistance and thus slowing me down?

Should I get a MTB and load it with hybrid tires?

Right now I have a millions questions and Ideas in my head, These were the first to come to mind. Please help out a newbie in the sport get his head on right!

Please reply with any information possible.

Thanks

Justin

Just a friendly bump. Got out of class and back home. Gonna borrow my mothers '01 Tassajara :eek: for the day

If i were you... Get a mtb, good lightweight frame; chuck on a rigid fork = fast, more response, less wastage of your power; then some slicks/semi slicks depending on which is tougher, more suited to the ground you'll be riding on. Chuck on some handle bar ends, and pedals, and later uprgrade the gearing if you want more speed.

Good luck!

~MoDCoN~ said:
If i were you... Get a mtb, good lightweight frame; chuck on a rigid fork = fast, more response, less wastage of your power; then some slicks/semi slicks depending on which is tougher, more suited to the ground you'll be riding on. Chuck on some handle bar ends, and pedals, and later uprgrade the gearing if you want more speed.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response, but be patient with my noobness.

rigid fork= ? Is that a name brand or does that mean no suspension?

Then I'll want to buy new rims and tires for a road setup? Or is it better to just get another set of tubes tires for the road?

Thanks

Justin

Boltz said:
Thanks for the response, but be patient with my noobness.

rigid fork= ? Is that a name brand or does that mean no suspension?

Then I'll want to buy new rims and tires for a road setup? Or is it better to just get another set of tubes tires for the road?

Thanks

Justin

Lol I'm just a newcomer to dedicated bikeness myself... I ride a fair bit, and had signed up ages ago, but have only recently jumped back on the forums cos im looking for a road bike... and its inspired me! :)

As far as the rigid fork goes --> it is as its name suggests, rigid, like a road bike fork. I.e. no shocks = more response etc... As for brand names... Just google 'rigid mtb forks'

You can buy slicks for the road and simply use your wheels as is, or buy new tyres AND wheels. This way you'd have a set to chuck on, depending on what you wanted... road or offroad capability.

Just keep researching, ask your local bike shop (LBS) and see what they say... don't necessarily buy their products. Above all, do what makes you happy and keep riding!

MoD