Looking To Replace Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ejay, Oct 11, 2004.

1. ejay

ejay New Member

Hi. I own a 2001 Giant Cypress DX (a hybrid bike) all stock. The existing rear wheel is 700x40c, has a Hoopster rim and a Shimano Super-Low 34T cassette mounted to it. I'm looking to replace the rear wheel (hub, spokes and rim) with a factory built wheel that approximates the OEM. My searches so far have been less than fruitfull as I keep finding ultra performance wheels for $$$$ or BMX wheels. Anyone have a brand/model suggestion? A prefered website? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Why are you replacing the wheel? If some of the parts are still useable (say, the rim is trashed, but the hub is ok), having a shop re-build the wheel with some of your old parts might be the way to go.

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

What is your rear Over Locknut spacing? 130 0r 135 mm?
    What is the budget range?
    Why are you looking for a total replacement?
    If the issue is a bent rim, it could be that a double walled rim would be more suitable (but more expensive to buy today) than another single walled rim.
    Otherwise you may find a dealer that handles Velocity Glider/Twin Hollow/Triple V replacement wheels for a very reasonable price in a single walled rim.
    Current double walled rims are Mavic A319, A719, Velocity Dyad, Sun CR-18.