Looking to "Tentatively" Upgrade

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kellja2001, May 13, 2010.

1. kellja2001

kellja2001 New Member

Hey all!

Sorry, I know its rude to just come on a forum and expect advice, but I'm hoping to one day be one of those capable of giving advice. I just need to learn all of the other stuff along the way first :D

So I've signed up for a pretty long bike ride for charity, knowing very little about cycling, and really just hoping to live through the whole saga!

Now, I purchased a Specialized Allez Elite 2010 what seems like ages ago to start training with. It seems I'm always on a tight budget ;)

As the big date looms, I'm looking to do a few cheapish upgrades of components to aid my ride, to keep the weight of the bike down as much as possible etc. etc.

Now, one of my friends, who claims to know a lot about cycling (he has all the gear at least) recommended that one of the easiest things I can do to reduce the weight of my bike is to replace the wheels.

He's recommended that I go for Xero XSR-3's, over my Mavic CXP-22 S's, swearing they're "Dead cheap, featherlight, look immense and are awesome value". He does have a pair on one of his bikes.

I did want to go out and ask the question to a wider audience, to see if this sounds like a sensible idea, or if you have any better advice?

As you can tell, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff ;)

Any advice would be much appreciated :D

Blue skies!

Jase

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

The least expensive but still worthwhile upgrade for speed is very likely better tires depending on what you're running now.

But if you really want nicer wheels (and who doesn't) I'd strongly suggest looking at the Easton wheelsets that Performance has on sale at the moment, specifically:

Easton EA90 SLX Special Edition Wheelset - Performance Exclusive - Bike Wheels

or for a bit less cash:

Easton EA70 Wheelset - Bike Wheels

They're both really nice wheelsets and either is a lot lighter per set than the Xero wheels your friend suggested. The EA90 wheelset comes in at 1472 grams, the EA70 set at 1650 grams and the XSR-3 at 2040 grams for the set. I run the tubular version of the Easton EA-70s and really like them and would jump on their current offer to pick up the '90s if I was in the market for a good clincher set.

Good luck,
    -Dave

3. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

I think that changing your wheels to save weight for a charity ride is a pointless exercise.

And speaking of exercise, that's what you need. Just get on your bike and ride it.

4. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

i'd love a nice set of lightweight carbon wheels too! but not just for a charity ride. which i am doing as well next month. 2 x 100kms (sat/sun). but i decided to invest in training. been riding just about every day since march.

keeping on topic though. yeah, i've heard those XERO wheels can be very light. and not too expensive either. if it gives you a mental advantage to yourself - knowing that you've got some light wheels...go for it.

5. tafi

tafi Member

It's good to see another person taking up the sport but there is no need to go to any trouble when doing a charity ride.

If the wheels are round and straight and the hubs work then what exactly is the point of upgrading? I'd rather make sure I didn't have to stop for punctures/mechanicals.

Just make sure the bike has been serviced, is nice and clean, and functions well. Well maintained = less problems = more enjoyment.

6. BigUgly

BigUgly New Member

I say go for it. Upgradicus is a condition that can't be put off, get the wheels you will love your bike more and want to spend more time on it.:)

7. KStony

KStony New Member

I wouldn't rush to upgrade just for a charity ride either. Just make sure your bike's tuned so you'll enjoy the ride. Learn more about your upgrade before you do it so it isn't rushed and regretted.

8. kellja2001

kellja2001 New Member

Wow, thanks!

There's some very, very good advice in there!

I think for now, I'm going to put off upgrading and put the money towards the charity instead.

Its a very valid point that for the sake of a few grams, is it really worth it?

Cheers guys!

J