Looking to upgrade. New rider looking for information on my late 80's Masi Team 3V

zclevenger

Jan 3, 2011
Well, I started cycling about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. I am riding my dads Masi since he crashed too many times and had to quit the sport so I got "The Masi". I have recently joined my colleges cycling team (mainly to be able to join in on group rides but not to race). We have a deal with Specialized and I have the opportunity to get a S-Works Tarmac SL3 for half off ($1,400). My dad offered to purchase this as a graduation present.

I just returned from the local bike shop after asking many questions about whether my components would transfer to the new frame. The answer was yes and no. Some would have to be replaced but they recommended getting a whole new set of components. They were very helpful and said my components were quite good (but not new by any means) but if I had to replace some parts then I would start mixing old with new.

Their recommendation was that I sell my frame/frame+components/whole bike and get new components for the new frame. I have heard from many people that my bike is a classic. If I were to go this route, I would definitely keep my wheels (since apparently they are good wheels). So, here are my questions:

1) Since I would probably keep the wheels, should I try and sell frame by itself and components by themselves or altogether?

2) I'm looking for a ballpark figure of what I might be able to get selling frame and components.

3)Best place to sell? eBay? Craigslist? Other?

4)New components. Recommendations? I've ridden the Dura-Ace on my bike and also SRAM Red recently. Obviously price will play a big part in deciding but welcome thoughts. Shimano Ultegra sounds more like my price range but depends on what I might be able to get for current Masi frame and Dura-Ace components.

5)Keep in mind, I plan on keeping this new bike for 10+ years.

6) Any opinions any of you may have of what I should do would be much appreciated as well. Since I am fairly new, this bike seems fine for me for now. I am riding 3-4 days a week. This just seems like a good time to get a frame since I get a discount.

Pictures. I tried to take as many as I could of all parts of the bike. For being over 20 years old, i'd say the frame is in GREAT condition. If you would like anymore pictures of certain areas of the bike, let me know and I will take care of that asap. I think this was made in Italy and not US but not 100% sure. Check out the pictures and thanks in advance for helping a new cyclist. Also, if you want me to individually list in detail every component, I can try and get that info. I know they are Dura-Ace (probably 10 years old. Brakes may be newer). Also, those are not stickers on bike, part of original paint job.

I'd probably sell your Masi whole (or just keep it as it is a classic) and get a new mid priced gruppo to go with your new frame.

FWIW, it's unlikely that your mid '80s wheels are ten speed compatible. IOW the rear axle spacing is likely 126mm wide and won't fit a modern frame built for 130mm hubs unless the wheels are more recent and the Masi rear triangle was respaced at some point.

If you do have to swap wheels as well then it would make a lot of sense to try to either buy your Tarmac complete if that's a possibility or to buy a complete component group for the new frame.

-Dave

Wish my pictures would show up. My wheels are not mid 80's. They are Mavic Ksyrium SL. Thanks for the feedback.

Here is the best I could do: http://img708.imageshack.us/g/img0738ei.jpg/

I'd save your cash for other cycling expenses and keep riding and racing the Masi. That bike's a beauty and well equipped, it also clearly has seen some upgrades like the carbon fork. If the bike fits there's no good reason to spend money on a newer bike unless you've got cash to burn.

Just my 2 cents worth, but that's a very nice bike and well setup for riding or racing.

-Dave

First, that's a really nice MASI and while you may think that you would benefit greatly by having a carbon fiber frame, and it may even be true, whatever you might get for the MASI (and, it could be considerable) will not be enough for you to overcome the future regret which you will probably have if you sell it.

FWIW. Thanks to the observation of another poster ([COLOR= #808080]my recollection is that rparedes should get the credit-or-blame ... sorry if I have named the wrong person[/COLOR]) in an earlier thread, I would suggest that if you do think that you would benefit from racing on a carbon fiber frame that you consider a generic ([COLOR= #808080]no paint, no decals ... but, apparently a custom paint job is available for an additional upcharge[/COLOR]) CHINESE CARBON FIBER frameset ([COLOR= #808080]do a Forum search to find the thread[/COLOR]). You can get a FULL frameset for under ([COLOR= #ff0000]¿[/COLOR])$400US([COLOR= #ff0000]?[/COLOR]). Add another $100-or-so and you can get a frameset + misc. components ([COLOR= #808080]CF handlebars, CF stem CF seatpost[/COLOR]).

Other than the cosmetics ([COLOR= #808080]in particular, the paint & decals[/COLOR]), the real world difference between the Specialized & the generic Chinese frameset will probably be minimal and probably not perceivable when you are riding the respective bicycles -- the molds may be from a year-or-two ago & the frames probably aren't laid up with the latest-and-greatest nanotube carbon fiber.

WHY PAY MORE?!?

• BTW. While I have been trying to wrap MY mind around the serpentine Pinarello stays & fork ever since they were introduced, it is one of the frame-and-fork choices which is avaialble that I might consider if I were getting one of the generic Chinese frames ... I just haven't been in the market for a CF frameset because I already have a CF frame ... and, I wouldn't race the one I have because if I "dropped" it during a race I would be heart broken and hard pressed to justify replacing it with the current model..

FYI. Everything significant EXCEPT FOR the bottom bracket can be carried over from the MASI to the new frameset -- the MASI has an Italian threaded BB most of the other frames which you will encounter will have either an English threaded BB or a BB30 shell (not recommended, but I suppose that many would consider me to be a Luddite) -- you can certainly buy an Engish threaded Octalink BB on eBay for whichever new frame you might get. You'll actually probably want either an Ultegra or 105 Octalink BB.

• You just/([COLOR= #808080]only?[/COLOR]) NEED TO [COLOR= #ff0000]BE CAREFUL[/COLOR] that you do NOT buy a 7710 TRACK BB which is intended for use with the 7710/("Track") crankset because I reckon there is a 99% probability that the 7710 BB lacks seals.

To all who responded, I truly thank you. Although I have just started my research into getting a new frame in the past few days, I think I am leaning toward keeping the Masi. Pretty sure I will still get a new frame and transfer over all components that will transfer. Thanks again so much.

Zach